Author Topic: Gimme the Lowdown on Keycaps  (Read 1602 times)

Offline abdulmuhsee

Gimme the Lowdown on Keycaps
« on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 20:59:18 »
So after a long time using ALPS, I finally bought a KUL ES-87; since ALPS aren't manufactured anymore and there is little to no chance of getting an ALPS tenkeyless (not 60%), I figured it was time to move on.

Anyways, the first thing I want to do, since I've supposedly entered the glamorous world of keyboard customization, is get some keycaps.  I see users' with a plethora of different colors and layouts, yet I can't seem to find a simple white or silver set with black legends.  Also, I have no idea which keycaps will or will not fit my stabilized keys.

Could someone point me in the right direction as to what is good/will fit my KUL ES-87?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Gimme the Lowdown on Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 21:03:26 »
Anything with 1.25x mods will fit the ES-87.

SP has a simple BoW set that'll work on their site.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 22:28:21 »
[...] since ALPS aren't manufactured anymore and there is little to no chance of getting an ALPS tenkeyless (not 60%), I figured it was time to move on.
There are Ducky and Filco Alps clone TKL boards that were produced until a few years ago which can still be found without *too* much trouble.

But I’m guessing there will be several (or at least one or two) Alps compatible TKL keyboards coming up within the next few months or year. Doesn’t help you in the very immediate future, I guess.

As for switches: harvesting Alps switches from old keyboards isn’t too hard and many can be obtained for reasonable prices on ebay &c., but Matias switches can also be had for quite cheap (quite a bit cheaper than MX switches).

Offline iAmAhab

• Established member
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 06:07:45 »
They will fit the KUL nicely.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 07:32:16 »
There are many Cherry mx keycap sets available in ABS plastic. My preference is PBT plastic, which wears better than PBT and feels dry even after prolonged intensive use. I also prefer dye-sublimation printing on PBT, but such sets are becoming difficult to find.