Author Topic: What's In My Bag 2007 to 2014  (Read 3306 times)

Offline ezrahilyer

What's In My Bag 2007 to 2014
« on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 21:21:56 »
I have been doing the 'whats in my bag' meme since 07, and i compiled the pictures and descriptions in one place on my blog:
http://straypoetry.com/whats-in-my-bag/

I know it's a little bit of shameless self-promotion, but I thought you might be interested since it is a bunch of technology and gadgets, and who doesn't like that?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: What's In My Bag 2007 to 2014
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 21:24:03 »
That's super cool.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 21:25:14 »
****ING LOVE EVERYDAY CARRY POSTS SRSLY

im subbed to reddit's edc and constantly check everday-carry website and edc forums i dont even know why just love it
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 21:28:46 »

im subbed to reddit's edc and constantly check everday-carry website and edc forums i dont even know why just love it

I never thought about sending it to reddit... I should do that.
I like reading them too, especially EDC, I love tools of all kinds, and organization and so yeah. I watch all the flickr whats in my bag pools, and submit my pics there too.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 21:29:27 »
Oh cool, someone that uses those blank bibles as their journal. I've read a little about those on FPN. I see you're carrying a brush pen and a Preppy. Are you into fountain pens as well?

Offline elton5354

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 21:30:16 »
Is that the same first aid kit back in 2007?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 21:30:51 »

I never thought about sending it to reddit... I should do that.
I like reading them too, especially EDC, I love tools of all kinds, and organization and so yeah. I watch all the flickr whats in my bag pools, and submit my pics there too.

lifehacker has an EDC pool also which i check out. i dont know why but i really love seeing people's bag dumps

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 21:37:01 »
Is that the same first aid kit back in 2007?

Yes, its the only thing that has survived the whole time, well the moleskine pocket, but thats not really the same one since I go through one or two a year.

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 21:38:30 »
Oh cool, someone that uses those blank bibles as their journal. I've read a little about those on FPN. I see you're carrying a brush pen and a Preppy. Are you into fountain pens as well?

Yes, I have spent way way too much money on pens. Jetpens is the bane of my financial existence.
And, the Allan Journal is really amazing, I really love it.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 21:38:38 »
Enjoyed the post and the rest of your blog as well.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 21:39:38 »
Yes, I have spent way way too much money on pens. Jetpens is the bane of my financial existence.

What is in your little pen case if you don't mind me asking? Right now in my EDC pen case, I've got a Pilot Vanishing Point (M), Pilot Metropolitan (M), and a Rotring 600 0.5mm.

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 21:39:59 »
Enjoyed the post and the rest of your blog as well.

Thank you! :-) I have several pages that aren't done yet, I hope you didn't see them. lol

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 21:40:38 »

man i love jet pens so much.

i dont even know why i buy when i NEVER use a pen. i just like having pens.

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 21:43:00 »

What is in your little pen case if you don't mind me asking? Right now in my EDC pen case, I've got a Pilot Vanishing Point (M), Pilot Metropolitan (M), and a Rotring 600 0.5mm.

Well right now I have a Sharbo X, a Kuretake #40, a Lamy Al-star with 1.1 italics nib, a Kuretake water brush, Kurtake letter pen, Preppy, and Pilot parallel pen, but I change it up a lot. Here is a post about my pen case from a while back: http://straypoetry.com/creativity/the-value-of-the-pens-in-my-case/

I am swapping pens a lot.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 21:44:47 »
Well right now I have a Sharbo X, a Kuretake #40, a Lamy Al-star with 1.1 italics nib, a Kuretake water brush, Kurtake letter pen, Preppy, and Pilot parallel pen, but I change it up a lot. Here is a post about my pen case from a while back: http://straypoetry.com/creativity/the-value-of-the-pens-in-my-case/

I am swapping pens a lot.

Cool! I've got an Al-Star with the same nib as the whole suite of Parallels. I've recently gotten into Esterbrooks and besides my beloved Pilots, I'm quite fond of Pelikans :D.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 21:44:56 »
Phone, keys, wallet, comb. That's all I ever carry.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 00:10:48 »
Interesting.

No portable sewing kit?

It would take me too long to go through all the crap I carry around all the time.

Also ... you post that here, and there is no keycap puller?  Call yourself a Geekhacker? :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 09:07:54 »
Interesting.

No portable sewing kit?

It would take me too long to go through all the crap I carry around all the time.

Also ... you post that here, and there is no keycap puller?  Call yourself a Geekhacker? :p

I have thought about a portable sewing kit, but not something I would use enough to justify I think......
No keycap puller because I am hardcore, I use my teeth!
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 November 2014, 11:51:57 by ezrahilyer »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 11:00:11 »
Here is what was in my bag up until it got stolen this weekend:

-Spec-Ops T.H.E. Pack with Frame
-iPad 3
-Acer Aspire 15.6" Laptop
-Acer C710 Chromebook
-Kindle Fire Tablet
-Kindle Paperwhite eReader
-OnePlus One Phablet
-Oakley Fives Squared Prescription Sunglasses
-WD My Passport 1TB Portable Hard Drive
-Bark River Knives Bushcrafter
-USB Flash Drives
-Logitech Wireless Mouse
-Sharpies
-Pens

Lot of tech stuff. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 11:53:17 »
Here is what was in my bag up until it got stolen this weekend:

-Spec-Ops T.H.E. Pack with Frame
-iPad 3
-Acer Aspire 15.6" Laptop
-Acer C710 Chromebook
-Kindle Fire Tablet
-Kindle Paperwhite eReader
-OnePlus One Phablet
-Oakley Fives Squared Prescription Sunglasses
-WD My Passport 1TB Portable Hard Drive
-Bark River Knives Bushcrafter
-USB Flash Drives
-Logitech Wireless Mouse
-Sharpies
-Pens

Lot of tech stuff. :)

That sucks! Being robbed is one of the worst feelings in the world, I really sympathize with you. Any hope of recovery?

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 12:01:13 »
My EDC:

-Oakley Kitchen Sink Backpack
-Razer Blade 14" 2013
-Razer Orochi bluetooth mouse
-Astro A38 bluetooth headset
-Some cheap flashlight I got from Amazon for $5. Single LED, but bright as hell.
-Astro A* earbuds
-Ipod shuffle (the one that has no controls on it) for gym days
-Nintendo 3DS XL
-Umbrella
-all necessary charging cables
-Binder with all of my assignments
-Monteverde Impressa
-Kaweco Classic Sport
-Lamy Safari
-Mini Stapler
-MHL to HDMI cable (for library sessions when my group needs to reference video)
-TI-84 Plus
-TI BA II Plus

No EDC knife right now as I lost my last one. Currently saving up for a new benchmade. Pretty sure that's everything though.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 19:09:38 »
Very cool!

I have been thinking about getting the Osprey Momentum 30. It looks like the perfect backpack BUT it doesn't have the side waterbottle holders (and I carry a water bottle and coffee thermos everyday). The hunt continues.
RETIRED

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 21:48:26 »
Very cool!

I have been thinking about getting the Osprey Momentum 30. It looks like the perfect backpack BUT it doesn't have the side waterbottle holders (and I carry a water bottle and coffee thermos everyday). The hunt continues.

Try the Osprey spin 32, has two side zippered water bottle pockets. i checked one out at REI a while back.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 21:51:50 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 September 2015, 09:04:53 by esoomenona »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 08:27:35 »
What do you actually do day to day? Some of those things I see you carrying, I have no idea what they are, or what they would be used for.

Also, Cliff bars are the best snack things I have ever had. I want one so bad but I can't find them in the UK at all :(
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 08:38:39 »
http://www.511tactical.com/rush-72-backpack.html

I've been eyeballing this. I like how modular it is, and a large capacity.

Similar to the 5.11 Rush 72, I can highly recommend the Spec-OPS Brand T.H.E. Pack. Not much in the way of organization (front pockets are just dump pouches, and main compartment is a large open space), but built to be bombproof. They are made right here in Monahans, TX. You can even stop by their manufacturing facility and buy one from them direct.

http://www.specopsbrand.com/on-the-move/backpacks/tactical-packs/t-h-e-pack-tactical-packs.html

« Last Edit: Tue, 04 November 2014, 08:44:39 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 09:11:16 »
What do you actually do day to day? Some of those things I see you carrying, I have no idea what they are, or what they would be used for.

Also, Cliff bars are the best snack things I have ever had. I want one so bad but I can't find them in the UK at all :(

I can't really answer that question easily; I guess the short answer is that I was in Telecommunications for the last 8 years, and now I am making a go at it by starting a small Office IT support group, and doing hosting and design on the side.
But that would be only a little bit of it. I am one of those people who are always trying to do way too much and can't seem to constrain their voracious appetite for new things and new ideas.

I have done everything from managing a food production plant, to owning a computer store, to doing web design, hosting, system admin work, networking, currency trading, commercial fleet maintenance, forklift and hydraulics maintenance, plant equipment maintenance, I have designed and built custom production machines, I have owned an automotive garage, I have restored classic cars, of course now I am into Model Ms and other Mech keyboards. I write, I paint, I have photographed weddings....
In short, I have only done maybe 10% of the things I would like to do, and there is simply never enough time or energy to spend on the things I love. For me its not about having money, (not that I have a lot of that, I don't) its about the experience of learning and discovering new things. I like to create new things, and to improve old things.

I just moved from the state of Pennsylvania to Florida to open up new avenues of exploration. Over the next ten years I would like to but a kitplane (would love to do something Rutan designed, maybe a Cozy IV) and I want a sail boat, (I now live on the coast here in florida, so why not) then when the kids go off to college I want to sail to the old world with my wife and spend time exploring.

Who knows what roads will open up to explore in the mean-time.

I am a self described Polymath.

The reason I have carried so many different things is that I never seem to be doing just one thing, even while I was working I was doing other things on my lunch breaks and free time, so thats why I have such an odd assortment of seemingly random 'stuff'

And yes, i love Cliff Bars, but they are kinda expensive, so I don't buy them all that often. My favorite is the White Chocolate Macadamia Nut......MMMMMM sounds good right about now.....

-Ezra

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 09:13:33 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 September 2015, 08:46:25 by esoomenona »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 10:47:22 »
I have done everything from managing a food production plant, to owning a computer store, to doing web design, hosting, system admin work, networking, currency trading, commercial fleet maintenance, forklift and hydraulics maintenance, plant equipment maintenance, I have designed and built custom production machines, I have owned an automotive garage, I have restored classic cars, of course now I am into Model Ms and other Mech keyboards. I write, I paint, I have photographed weddings....
In short, I have only done maybe 10% of the things I would like to do, and there is simply never enough time or energy to spend on the things I love. For me its not about having money, (not that I have a lot of that, I don't) its about the experience of learning and discovering new things. I like to create new things, and to improve old things.

I just moved from the state of Pennsylvania to Florida to open up new avenues of exploration. Over the next ten years I would like to but a kitplane (would love to do something Rutan designed, maybe a Cozy IV) and I want a sail boat, (I now live on the coast here in florida, so why not) then when the kids go off to college I want to sail to the old world with my wife and spend time exploring.

Who knows what roads will open up to explore in the mean-time.

I am a self described Polymath.

The reason I have carried so many different things is that I never seem to be doing just one thing, even while I was working I was doing other things on my lunch breaks and free time, so thats why I have such an odd assortment of seemingly random 'stuff'

And yes, i love Cliff Bars, but they are kinda expensive, so I don't buy them all that often. My favorite is the White Chocolate Macadamia Nut......MMMMMM sounds good right about now.....

-Ezra
He who knows most regrets most for lost time.

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 11:56:17 »

He who knows most regrets most for lost time.

My favorite Thoreau quote: one that I hope will not haunt me when I die.

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."
-Thoreau