Author Topic: How I sort of fixed Plum MX96 wireless issues, and looking for LED size  (Read 1313 times)

Offline deadpool

The Plum MX96 is alright, I bought it because it was in the small group of wireless + backlit mechanical keyboards at the time. I did have wireless issues with it though (keys sticking/repeating, etc.). I mostly fixed it by adjusting key repeat settings in Windows 7:

Control Panel -> search "key repeat" -> Keyboard -> Adjust as necessary.
^My settings: Character repeat (Repeat delay = 100% to the left, "Long")
Repeat rate (~75% of the way to the right, "Fast")

Still have issues occasionally, but it made the wireless go from unusable to usable for most light use (internet, 1/2-1 page documents, etc.). I connect the cord when gaming/typing long documents.

Now I'd like to solder in some LEDs. The keyboard has MX Cherry Blues with LED holes ready to accept LEDs. I'm guessing it uses 3mm LEDs. Is that he same as 2mmx3mmx4mm LEDs?

I'm looking at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100X-3mm-White-Round-LED-Light-Emitting-Diodes-2-Straight-Pin-Ultra-Bright-3-2V-/121335642198?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c402af856
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-White-Ultra-Bright-3mm-2-Pin-Water-Clear-LED-Light-Emitting-Diode-Kit-/360972719114?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item540ba6940a
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-2x3x4mm-LED-Water-Clear-White-Light-Super-Light-High-quality-New-/201172207582?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed6cc47de

Is the square/rectangular style better because you don't need to grind off the (possible) lip on the round ones? I'm planning on going with white because I may use the color-changing shades in the future. Also, any idea about how ~95 LEDs will affect battery life (3xAAA)? Thanks.

Some search terms for those of you with wireless issues: Plum MX keys sticking, keys repeating, Choc Mini 2M, Choc Mini M2, wireless mechanical keyboard, repeating, morphling plum
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 November 2014, 22:48:50 by deadpool »

Offline deadpool

Re: How I sort of fixed Plum MX96 wireless issues, and looking for LED size
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 03:02:48 »
I sort of found the answer to my own question. The round 3mm LEDs may need to be shaved down a bit with a rotary tool to install correctly. The square/rectangular ones apparently don't have this problem. Also 2x3x4mm LEDs are fine. Also you can use SIP sockets if you want to change LEDs frequently.

Offline deadpool

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 03:03:51 »
Oh still haven't found any info regarding battery life, if anyone has any educated guesses I'd appreciate them, or info about how I can calculate it myself.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 08:30:13 »
Probably the best size LED to use with Cherry switches is 1.8mm - to ensure no cap interference issues; but 3mm and 2x3x4mm LEDs will work as well (though as you mentioned sometimes shaving is required).

Not sure I can help with your battery life question though.  Are you asking what is normal duration a PLUM96 will work wirelessly before having the replace the batteries?  Or are you asking if adding LEDs will shorten that life?

(Unfortunately I don't have the answer to either of those questions.)
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline deadpool

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 15:15:27 »
Yes I was mostly wondering if having 96 backlit keys (vs ~4 stock) would shorten the battery life of the 3 AAAs to like 4 hours or something hahahah. The Choc Mini 2M claims 2000 hours idle and 100 operational so I think I should be ok :)