Author Topic: Lightweight MMO mouse - MadCatz MMO TE  (Read 6482 times)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Lightweight MMO mouse - MadCatz MMO TE
« on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 04:43:04 »
Hi all, noticed MadCatz has announced a new MMO mouse which only weighs 100g!

http://store.madcatz.com/categories/mice-category/Mad-Catz-M-M-O-TE-Gaming-Mouse-for-PC-Mac.html

Suits me, since I like my mice light. Seems to be the same sensor as the normal TE, should be a good one. It also includes the "precision aim"/sniper button which changes the DPI on-the-fly. 

The only concern I have is how the thumb buttons feel, 'cos the ones on my RAT 3 are not the best, just wonder what 12 of them would feel like. Doesn't seem to be enough space to put really decent switches in there.

For my own use, the standard TE will do, since I don't need more than the 3 thumb buttons it comes with and it's even lighter (90g), but I figured some of you may be interested in this one.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline TheAngelicWolf

• Location: I live in the isolated, deserted, bare land of Mars...I'm the only one here. I need help immediately.
    • My Tumblr
Re: Lightweight MMO mouse - MadCatz MMO TE
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 14:00:08 »
That is almost the ugliest mouse I've ever seen...but as long as it's functional I guess  :blank:
I thought signatures belonged on paper?

Offline Emmiya

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 22:32:40 »
Just like all MadcatZ products, it looks atrocious.
It's missing a huge chunk out of the back, pretty much GG for palm grip users as you're going to be resting on that section a LOT, lifting the front of the mouse off the mat.
Other than that, it seems like another gimmicky "HEY CHECK HOW HIGH WE CAN MAKE OUR DPI" laser mouse.
Ridiculously unequal sized "mmo side buttons" is just plain awkward.
When was the last time an MMO needed "on-the-fly DPI switching" and "Precision-Aim"

It's like they've tried to make a mouse to cover all all games, but failed spectacularly on all fronts.

Slightly off topic:
I've actually turned away from all MadcatZ products also simply due to the amount of ****ing dumb product placement recently amongst the counter-strike scene.
The past 3 or 4 tournaments, have been littered with ads for madcatz gear, even at times interfering with the games, most notably at ESWC where there was 2 giant adverts covering the hud/chat.
Sure, spam your ads BETWEEN games, but when you insert them INTO the game and hinder the viewers, you lose a ton of respect.

Not only that but the amount of times they were "forced" to go to a break to play the ad for the 500th time, despite the game still being played. Now you could argue that is down to the tournament admins, and you're probably right there, but it still leaves a bad impression on the company (well it does for me personally).
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 November 2014, 22:36:35 by Emmiya »

Offline TheAngelicWolf

• Location: I live in the isolated, deserted, bare land of Mars...I'm the only one here. I need help immediately.
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 23:39:07 »
Just like all MadcatZ products, it looks atrocious.
It's missing a huge chunk out of the back, pretty much GG for palm grip users as you're going to be resting on that section a LOT, lifting the front of the mouse off the mat.
Other than that, it seems like another gimmicky "HEY CHECK HOW HIGH WE CAN MAKE OUR DPI" laser mouse.
Ridiculously unequal sized "mmo side buttons" is just plain awkward.
When was the last time an MMO needed "on-the-fly DPI switching" and "Precision-Aim"

It's like they've tried to make a mouse to cover all all games, but failed spectacularly on all fronts.

Slightly off topic:
I've actually turned away from all MadcatZ products also simply due to the amount of ****ing dumb product placement recently amongst the counter-strike scene.
The past 3 or 4 tournaments, have been littered with ads for madcatz gear, even at times interfering with the games, most notably at ESWC where there was 2 giant adverts covering the hud/chat.
Sure, spam your ads BETWEEN games, but when you insert them INTO the game and hinder the viewers, you lose a ton of respect.

Not only that but the amount of times they were "forced" to go to a break to play the ad for the 500th time, despite the game still being played. Now you could argue that is down to the tournament admins, and you're probably right there, but it still leaves a bad impression on the company (well it does for me personally).
So that's what Madcatz has to do to get customers around here? :)) That's what's atrocious now, it's not even the design anymore.
I thought signatures belonged on paper?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 01:55:01 »
Wow, I had no idea they had such bad forced advertising. That'd turn me off, too.

Still, their hardware is good, particularly for the price. The "missing chunk" doesn't affect the use for palm grip, since the solid base plate still has enough extension towards the back to prevent any tilting / tipping and there's a big slider pad right at the back, specifically for this use case. The "sniper mode" key is very useful on an "MMO" mouse, since the mouse WILL be used for all styles of games, not just MMO's. Or do you think everyone uses a different mouse for each style of game they play?

The looks are a matter of taste. Besides, I tend not to actually look at my mouse while using it ;)

It's light, has a good sensor (I'd use it at 1600DPI setting anyway, don't really care that it can go to 8200), is comfortable to use and has good usable buttons. The unequal sizes and angles make it easier to index which button you're pressing without having to look, good feature in an MMO mouse, IMHO. I don't get the hate.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 02:53:12 »
sensor being good is debateable. it has inherent acceleration which is a big no-no for a lot of gamers, even if it's relatively small.
they have so-so build quality. weight's impressive for a lot of features but... I didn't find any of their mice comfortable for my grip style - personal preference though.

would be nicer to see this with the pixart 3310 sensor and some good firmware.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 02:57:37 »
Still, their hardware is good, particularly for the price.

You can have the best hardware in the world, but if you don't know how to put it together, it will still make a crap product.  MadCatz is not known for reliability or longevity.  Just look at their RAT mice.  So many issues with those.  You couldn't pay me to take a MadCatz product.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 09:34:29 »
sensor being good is debateable. it has inherent acceleration which is a big no-no for a lot of gamers, even if it's relatively small.
they have so-so build quality. weight's impressive for a lot of features but... I didn't find any of their mice comfortable for my grip style - personal preference though.

Sensor does not have acceleration issues:

"Sensor performance on the R.A.T. TE is immensely good"

" It delivers a smooth-as-butter experience, with no hint of acceleration or any other modifiers — true, unadulterated tracking."

"Right up to 8200 DPI and things are still smooth as silk. In fact, I’ve never seen a sensor perform anywhere near this good at this kind of speed."

"The sensor on this mouse is easily one of the best I’ve ever used, in fact I think it might be the best I’ve ever used. It doesn’t matter what you’re playing, FPS, MMO, MOBA, RPG or even Bubble Witch Saga, the tracking is flawless at all times."

I own a pair of RAT 3's, one old laser (single sensor, not dual eye) and one newer optical. Never had an issue and they're the most comfortable and overall best mice I've ever used. I think the key is that I bought the simplest of their range, so there is less to go wrong. These Tournament Editions seem to follow the same philosophy, so they should be more durable than the old RAT 5 and above.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline woll3

• ESL Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 11:17:57 »
it has inherent acceleration which is a big no-no for a lot of gamers, even if it's relatively small.

no

I have to disagree, while PTE has its own problems, it has not the limitations "real" optical systems are having.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 17:34:00 »
PTE? oh, I thought this was a9800, 8200dpi usually indicates that. I don't know where I got that from.
my bad then :p I should have read up a bit more.
I'm not too sure what problems the PTE has then.

Offline Parak

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 17:47:27 »
Pfft, typical no mention of what the side buttons use for switching.. I guess yet another rubber mat.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 09:37:39 »
PTE? oh, I thought this was a9800, 8200dpi usually indicates that. I don't know where I got that from.
my bad then :p I should have read up a bit more.
I'm not too sure what problems the PTE has then.

Early PTE implementations suffered from lift-off issues, both in distance and mouse cursor moving when lifting. Also, tracking on soft surfaces was a problem for some of them. This one doesn't seem to have any of those issues, though, and tracks flawlessly, so... I like it.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 10:58:01 »
I have to disagree, while PTE has its own problems, it has not the limitations "real" optical systems are having.

such as?

Offline woll3

• ESL Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 16:45:56 »
such as?

Size(& weight), Power Consumption, "CPI vs. Image Array", Samplerate, Surfacedetection

Offline usno_oj

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 06:23:05 »
After looking at the images, it looks as if the bottom row buttons would be impossible to press without readjusting your grip. Also, for that price range, I would stick with the tried and true G600 or Naga.