Author Topic: I HAVE A PROBLEM  (Read 917 times)

Offline s33flous

• Let Seth Say It
I HAVE A PROBLEM
« on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 12:17:26 »
My problem is looking at /r/mechanicalkeyboards too much and talking to coworkers about mechanical keyboards for far too long. At least they act interested! Letting them slap around on some Cherry MX Blues usually peak their interest and have them ask "Why is it so loud?".

Story time!

I'm new here and would like to introduce myself. I always read about mechanical keyboards but never understood the hype. My coworker has several so decided to bring one in for me to use for a workday. I was sold. I purchased a QuickFire Rapid Pro with Cherry MX Blues the same day.

I've had that keyboard for a little over a year. A few months ago, my work project had some extra funds and our keyboards were old IBM and Dell hand-me-down rubber domes. Today all my coworkers in the lab and all of our test assets have giant Cherry MX 3000 keyboards (MX Blues). It took a while to get our Technical Writer on board; she liked her company provided rubber dome keyboard. One day, when I arrived earlier than her, I hid her rubber dome and hooked up one of the Cherry keyboards. A few months later, she gave birth and was working from home. Since we live in the same area, she asked me to bring her laptop and meet her husband to drop it off. Her last question: "Could you also grab the clicky keyboard".

Story over!

I still have my QuickFire Rapid Pro with a hybrid custom keycap set from WASD and eBay. I recently bought a Poker II with MX Reds (to give another switch a try) and found out Reds weren't for me, so I'm in the process of selling that one. Also, I found that (at least at work - where I do most of my typing) I tend to use the arrow keys and number pad A LOT.

Today, a Unicomp Ultra Classic Black Buckling Spring USB will be on my doorstep to try something totally new!

My next keyboard adventure will probably be Cherry MX Greens - I love the click and I am a heavy typer.

Anyway, good to be here after lurking for so long!

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 12:22:26 »
Welcome to the addiction.

Watch your wallet closely and stay away from the Artisan thread if you know what's good for you. ;)

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 12:23:16 »
That's a good story, usually it doesn't take long to convert someone from a rubber dome.   :thumb:

It's nice to have you over here, I'd say prepare your wallet, but it seems like you already know how much fun it is to try new switches and see which you like and which you don't.  Sorry to hear reds didn't work out for you, they're one of my favorite switches.  If you're a heavy typist, I'd imagine you'll love greens!  Hope to see you around the forum!
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy