Author Topic: Did I burn my teensy?  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Moralless

Did I burn my teensy?
« on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 07:19:36 »
So I have this old teensy that I plan to use for my next upcoming custom keyboard project and today, when I was desoldering all the leftover solder from its previous use, it ended up with some questionable  marks.

Just wondering if these burns could have made some of the I/Os useless and just need some clarification.

Firstly sorry about the potato pics, I tried my best taking these photos on my iPhone but without a camera with macro capabilities this is the best that I could do.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Did I burn my teensy?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 07:52:16 »
Looks rough, but I only use GND, VCC, D0, and D1

If those connect it may not matter if you wrecked some of the other pads.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 08:12:56 »
Looks like it will probably still work. If you find a pin that won't work, just use a different pin and assign it in firmware for that row or column.'

Teensys are a pain to desolder. :(
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 11:04:04 »
It definitely looks usable. You might have a problem with one or two pads, but as the other posters said, you can always reassign.

Spoken from the POV of one of geekhack's most notoriously clumsy people.

Surprisingly, I have not found teensies hard to desolder. Access-IS keyboards remain my most hated nightmare desoldering experiences. At least teensies don't have some copper sheet things to absorb heat.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 11:05:16 »

QFT: it's like impossible sometimes. I sometimes end up breaking the legs off with a cutter and then going from there.

Looking at it, there's a couple pads where the upper pad looks like it may be damaged, but the through plating is still intact. It'll still work if you can get solder into the through-hole plating. I suspect you won't have too many issues.

The chip itself looks fine and probably works 100%

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 11:08:57 »

QFT: it's like impossible sometimes. I sometimes end up breaking the legs off with a cutter and then going from there.

Looking at it, there's a couple pads where the upper pad looks like it may be damaged, but the through plating is still intact. It'll still work if you can get solder into the through-hole plating. I suspect you won't have too many issues.

The chip itself looks fine and probably works 100%

I've got to try and get one off a pcb at the weekend :( mounted pinless. I'm planning on clearing all the holes of solder, then hopefully with loads of hot air and a pcb pre heater, and the assitance of gravity, i might be able to get it off. Don't really care if the teensy bites it but I want to save the pcb!

I'm pretty sure your D7 will be toast - but should be pretty easy to fix on the back side of the pcb.
I got boards.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 12:33:47 »
OK Moralles, after looking at the other people's replies I take back my comments. I'm comparing apples with oranges. Margo is probably talking about a standard retail teensy with pins, which most experienced people have difficulty desoldering.

My teensies with pins were self manufactured. I got the teensies without pins and soldered the pins on using pins I got from Taobao and (of course) leaded solder. I would advise you to go this route actually. Leaded solder is so much easier to work with for an amateur hobbyist, and the volumes we work with aren't enough to have a big environmental footprint. Unless you're a pro it doesn't make sense to make your life harder with lead free solder. If you make a mistake (and I do make mistakes) it is so much easier to desolder leaded solder.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 13:34:29 »
I'm pretty sure your D7 will be toast - but should be pretty easy to fix on the back side of the pcb.
Yes, see if you can solder it from the back with like a clipped LED lead or something. If you can only access it form the top (like if you are using pin headers or something and don't want to break them in half I guess. You can heat up the pin from the "top" and get the solder in to make contact with the plated through hole. I've had to do this once and it wasn't so bad.

best use for it now is of course a soarer converter.

Offline Moralless

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 14:28:30 »
Thanks for all the replies eveyone! I was planning to use this teensy for a 5x16 hand wired matrix but it seems like there's little room for mistakes if it seems that there's a couple of dodgy I/Os and might just end up buying a brand new one and using this for a numpad.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 14:37:26 »
Thanks for all the replies eveyone! I was planning to use this teensy for a 5x16 hand wired matrix but it seems like there's little room for mistakes if it seems that there's a couple of dodgy I/Os and might just end up buying a brand new one and using this for a numpad.

Nah my friend, it really is unlikely to be damaged. Teensy is v good quality. As Dorkvader pointed out it is double sided. If the pad is gone on one side, solder from the other side then.

My first teensy was also my first soldering attempt, and it looked worse.

Offline Moralless

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 14:54:16 »

Nah my friend, it really is unlikely to be damaged. Teensy is v good quality. As Dorkvader pointed out it is double sided. If the pad is gone on one side, solder from the other side then.

I'll probably give it a go and see if it works, but I've bought an extra one just in case since this is a xmas gift for a friend and don't won't have the time to order a new one when I start soldering the keyboard up. Even if it does work I'll still end up with another teensy for more keyboard projects  :cool:

Also I've sent you a  PM about my order on the switches.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 02:10:18 »

I'll probably give it a go and see if it works, but I've bought an extra one just in case since this is a xmas gift for a friend and don't won't have the time to order a new one when I start soldering the keyboard up. Even if it does work I'll still end up with another teensy for more keyboard projects  :cool:

Also I've sent you a  PM about my order on the switches.
[/quot

yes, payment received ty.

if only everyone could do the same - help me get rid of the black switches I hate so much...

Offline dashing_girlboy

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 02:21:06 »
the images are not loading dude. However, from what the other people say, im guessing that you can probably try and put in more solder so that you can make a connection. :x