Author Topic: RGB 60% Keyboard with bluetooth option. (Schematics)  (Read 4581 times)

Offline nandop

• May your keystrokes always be true.
RGB 60% Keyboard with bluetooth option. (Schematics)
« on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 00:45:02 »
Post-poned until further notice.

Hello World Class Hackers and n00bies like me  ;D

Project Proposal (*subject to change by anyone willing to help! :thumb:):

-The new Cherry MX RGB Switches (used in the new Corsair RGB)
-RGB LEDs
-60% profile
-Hasu's TMK software of multiple customizable layers (Thank you Hasu for that!)

edited 11/09/2014 - 12:59am CDT: Added tmk link and reference
edited 11/09/2014 - 2:48pm CDT: Cleaned up the post
edited 12/22/2014 - 3:33pm EST: New direction, RGB PCB 60% only without accessories, except for pinouts for Bluefruit HID controller.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 December 2014, 14:33:13 by nandop »
Sprit 60%, White MX 78g Au | Planck Ortholinear 40% Clear MX | Phantom TKL Browns 110g Au

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Ambitious 60% 54-port project full of customizations
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 01:54:16 »
As the title vaguely explains, I have a pretty ambitious project. This project is very important to me and time is of essence
Gonna be a crash-course in awesome for sure!

so it looks like you'll be wanting:
about 62 keys in a matrix
about 65 LEDs (you may want a few external ones for lock lights or fn layer indicators or soemthing)
everything has to be individually identifiable or addressable (NKRO, and full LED control)

There was a guy who rigged up full LED to his rubberdome I believe. Pictures might be down, but I can see if I can find it.

Also look at the PCB photos of consumer keyboards who have done this as well. corsair is an example. doesnt ducky have one as well? I know one of the CMstorms is too.

about pin count: that guy looks like about 62-keys, which can be done in an even smaller number of pins! an 8*8 matrix gives 64 max switches with only 16 pins but it'll probably be really hard to wire up. I recommend putting aside at least 16 pins, figuring out how many everything else will take, then if you have 18 or 20 pins left over you can make wiring easy.

A trackball will require a smaller amount of pins, even with a 98200 DPI sensor, you can make with like 8 pins (probably less) and if you need 4 buttons that's only 4 more pins (2*2 matrix). Even easier is ripping the guts out of a normal trackball, plugging it and the KB into a USB hub internally and calling it good. there's lots of options.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1034145369/high-speed-laser-optical-sensor

but if you have tons of pins available it makes things easier.

Good to see your switch matrix is wired up! Looks like a well-done job, so that'll make it easier to put together with other stuff.

Offline nandop

Re: Ambitious 60% 54-port project full of customizations
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 15:06:56 »
Thank you dorkvader! I'm looking into corsairs rgb pcb and I found the LEDs to use + I'm contacting resellers for the clear cased cherry mx switches, and have posted it in interest check!  :thumb:. Hopefully they won't take long to answer and we can have a group buy for it soon :P

I'm working on getting the software into the board and wiring the LEDs. I'll be busy with Univ stuff for the next couple of days, but by next week I should have a keyboard and the trackpad mounted!
Sprit 60%, White MX 78g Au | Planck Ortholinear 40% Clear MX | Phantom TKL Browns 110g Au

Offline nandop

I've flashed the arduino with this sketch written by A.McD and it the pc recognizes it as a keyboard! Now, I'm just trying to map out the matrix. http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=99.0

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
i mentioned the corsair RGB KB because you can use those same controllers for non-RGB.

As far as I know corsair still has the 1 year license from cherry for the exclusive use of the clear RGB housings, so they might be hard to find.

The only other issue is mounting the RGBLED chips. They require a PCB.