Author Topic: Thoughts on using Originativeco.com  (Read 10757 times)

Offline shawn o

Re: Thoughts on using Originativeco.com
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 09:49:12 »
Looks like the site was taken down.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 09:50:42 »
Looks like the site was taken down.

Sheraton has done this in the past when he went on 'vacation'.

Offline Hand

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 15:08:37 »
I ordered a keycap set from Originative in December.  They processed the cc payment immediately, but didn't respond to a couple of emails and didn't ship the order for 8 days.  I did eventually get the caps, though.
Past: Unicomp Customizer, SteelSeries 7G
Present: Ducky Shine 3, mx brown
Future: mx clear

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 15:54:26 »
Wow.  As John Oliver says "why is this still a thing?"

There are lots of places to get cool keyboard-related items.  Originative is one of two sites that people who have been GH members for more than a month-year* or two will never use again.  Or recommend.

Collective legal action was discussed, but frankly there was no bucket of gold at the end of the rainbow.  Even with a civil case decided in our favor, the money was gone, and it is inconceivable that we could go after the parents he still lived with to get into their deep pockets.

So wounds were licked, and oaths were sworn, and everyone moved on.

But somehow this question keeps coming up.  The answer is still "run away!".

So why is this still a thing?

- Ron | samwisekoi

*A month-year is the amount of time it takes Demik to be wrong about something. Used here purely for entertainment value**.

**Entertainment value = "a buck three-fifty."

Note: Literally literally doesn't mean figuratively, but literally figuratively does mean literally.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 January 2015, 16:05:32 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 16:34:43 »

There are lots of places to get cool keyboard-related items.  Originative is one of two sites that people who have been GH members for more than a month-year* or two will never use again.  Or recommend.

Collective legal action was discussed, but frankly there was no bucket of gold at the end of the rainbow.  Even with a civil case decided in our favor, the money was gone, and it is inconceivable that we could go after the parents he still lived with to get into their deep pockets.

- Ron | samwisekoi

*A month-year is the amount of time it takes Demik to be wrong about something. Used here purely for entertainment value**.

Note: Literally literally doesn't mean figuratively, but literally figuratively does mean literally.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. :(

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 16:43:46 »
Hey just looking for some feedback on Originative.. I found old threads talking about them and their problems but I am looking for stories of people who have used them recently. They honestly suck at keeping their site current and are even worse at emailing which is why I am really sketched out about their site. Anyways I was thinking of ordering their GMK cyrillic and maybe their dolch set but their price gouging is terrible.. Anyways just looking for other people's $0.02.

:)) :-[

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 22:26:00 »

- Ron | samwisekoi

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. :(

That's GH for you. Actually, that's life for you.

A pretty solid portion of people are at least alright at something.

However, that something is usually not research.

Do research, and you'll have few problems in any situation.

That's why I read wikipedia as a spare time activity.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 16:58:15 »
As they say, a fool and his money are soon parted.

After that the fool wisens up (we hope).
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 18:59:53 »
As they say, a fool and his money are soon parted.

After that the fool wisens up (we hope).

+++

Offline Hand

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 12:57:09 »

Keycap lust provoked me to tempt fate. 

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 13:23:09 »

You could have bought keycaps from any one of over 100 people currently selling keycaps on the classifieds threads. Including me.

You insisted on buying from these guys who overcharge in any case.

I'm not sure if this can be called tempting fate. When you are at a buffet and instead of eating the stuff from the table spread, you scoop your drink from the pail that the janitor is using to mop the floor with... :p
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 15:08:48 »
Actually sherry's prices are pretty good.

That's why people keep asking about how legit the site is.

You're not gonna find a new GMK set for $85 anywhere else.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Hand

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 15:29:58 »

You could have bought keycaps from any one of over 100 people currently selling keycaps on the classifieds threads. Including me.

Really?  You were selling these?

« Last Edit: Tue, 20 January 2015, 16:06:02 by Hand »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 15:34:27 »

Show Image

There is an IC somewhere for the next Tai Hao GB - vote for purple!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 16:24:14 »

Show Image

you're not actually trying to defend sherry here, are you?

cause that's not gonna land you well

and like rowdy said, vote for them in the next tai hao GB

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 16:32:56 »

Show Image

cause that's not gonna land you well

and like rowdy said, vote for them in the next tai hao GB

Yeah, and originative is not even a word...
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline Hand

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 16:49:17 »

Show Image

If I say that I ordered a specific set from Originative because they had it and no one on GH was selling it, that sounds to you like I'm "trying to defend sherry?"

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 12:43:01 »

Show Image

If I say that I ordered a specific set from Originative because they had it and no one on GH was selling it, that sounds to you like I'm "trying to defend sherry?"

No.  The issue at hand (no pun intended) is that most us of already did just that, and most of us lost money, waited through many months without an update, or both.

Personally, I wouldn't ever try this again.  But if you haven't done it yet, you are welcome to spin that wheel.  However, if you do so, please use money you wouldn't mind losing AND only risk even that money if there are no other buying options.

When his site happened to be up, I used to look at some of the cool things there.  I liked many of them.  And then I closed that tab, and didn't risk the aggravation and loss.  Again.

But back to your specific question, pointing out that something special is offered isn't defending him.  Saying that it is a good source just because he will take your money for cool things IS.  We all know you can order and pay for cool things there.  The sad part is that we also know there is a very good chance you will never get any further updates, let alone product.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Sig auto-typed by my GH36 LH keypad.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 12:46:26 »
Did anyone that ordered them ever receive those cheap taohao sets sherry sold?

What about the black friday set?

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 13:45:50 »
This is silly. These are generic Tai Hao purple doubleshots, very much still in production, easily purchased. In fact after GhostofHarry is done with his GB, he'll probably run another GB with the purples at some ridiculously low price.

Sometimes I have wondered. If I set up a website and posted lots of sexy rare keycap pictures on it, how much money could I make off the geeks who have more money than caution?

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 13:48:11 »
Would this be a great time for an MK commercial? lol

Hint, those keycaps are carried by many out there including MK.

Just saying.
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 13:48:47 »

Just saying.

See I didn't even know you guys sold these. I think many people just don't know.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 13:51:19 »

Just saying.

See I didn't even know you guys sold these. I think many people just don't know.

Oh, I'm selling these too. I predict it will take 46 days for the keycaps I'm selling to reach anybody.
 :p

Offline Hand

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 14:03:13 »

Show Image

No.  The issue at hand (no pun intended) is that most us of already did just that, and most of us lost money, waited through many months without an update, or both.

Thank you.

Because GH has a thread about problems with Originative, I thought I should report my experience.  The gist of my comment was that they were slow to ship and completely unresponsive to emails.  I.e., terrible customer service that made me doubt I'd get what I paid for, although they did eventually send the caps.  I expected to hear "haha, you lucked out, dummy."  Instead the response was something more like indignation that I blasphemed the tribal gods.  When I explain my decision to take the risk, that gets aggressively misconstrued as a defense/recommendation of the vendor.  Comedy.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 January 2015, 16:08:05 by Hand »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 14:35:49 »
No problem. My first order for custom keycaps was with Sherryton.  I had the same experience as you, but it took so long that by the time I got the 'caps, I didn't care anymore. Very discouraging.

So thanks for the update. We can all mark them as 'still the same', and continue to avoid them.

Please stick around; we get nicer over time. Caring a lot sometimes sounds like being angry, but really we want to help others avoid OUR mistakes.  That is just part of community.

Glad you got your 'caps, and I hope to see you around!

- Ron | samwisekoi