Author Topic: Thoughts on using Originativeco.com  (Read 10758 times)

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
Thoughts on using Originativeco.com
« on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 11:34:53 »
Hey just looking for some feedback on Originative.. I found old threads talking about them and their problems but I am looking for stories of people who have used them recently. They honestly suck at keeping their site current and are even worse at emailing which is why I am really sketched out about their site. Anyways I was thinking of ordering their GMK cyrillic and maybe their dolch set but their price gouging is terrible.. Anyways just looking for other people's $0.02.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Re: Thoughts on using Originativeco.com
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 11:36:30 »
Never actually ordered from them, but from what I've heard since Sherry has come back recenrecently they've been much better and most people have had good experiences
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 11:38:17 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 August 2015, 09:50:25 by esoomenona »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 11:39:25 »
There is a reason they are no longer allowed to be a vendor here.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 12:10:50 »
That's the gist of what I got from the other thread I found when they went under review. Sheraton was pretty responsive for an hour or two yesterday with me to answer my questions but it still seemed sketchy because he seemed quite reluctant to help me and get a sale.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 12:12:51 »
That's the gist of what I got from the other thread I found when they went under review. Sheraton was pretty responsive for an hour or two yesterday with me to answer my questions but it still seemed sketchy because he seemed quite reluctant to help me and get a sale.

Yeah I've emailed all their emails provided multiple times about the 'black friday' sale from last year. Never got a reply about where the caps are or a refund of my money so I'm done with them.

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 12:15:04 »
I think most reasonable people have just decided to stop paying attention to them.

Buying from them comes with a risk.

But some people just can't live without their caps and will ignore the reasonable to try to get them. Proceed with caution.

QFT

People just need to stop giving him business.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 12:15:59 »
ordering from originative is like participating in a GB from a new guy

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 12:21:43 »
Alright. Thanks guys and or girls for the feedback. I will be avoiding that site.

Offline mnpikey

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 12:36:21 »
Place an order and if you don't get you're items in a timely fashion contact your CC company and do a chargeback. No risk really.

Waiting 90+ days without action is a foolish thing to do and to the CC company is the same thing as you saying "Everything is ok".

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 13:11:11 »
Place an order and if you don't get you're items in a timely fashion contact your CC company and do a chargeback. No risk really.

Waiting 90+ days without action is a foolish thing to do and to the CC company is the same thing as you saying "Everything is ok".

No, it's probably still a bad idea. Chargebacks can be a pain.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 13:13:18 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 August 2015, 09:49:37 by esoomenona »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 13:18:13 »
Seems a bit hit and miss - some new orders are fulfilled immediately, some people have been waiting months with no communication.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tbc

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 14:33:45 »
Are you even old enough to have a credit card?

Chargebacks are ridiculously easy. You call your credit card company and tell them you paid for an item never received and they credit your card back right away.

this.

the hardest thing about a chargeback is finding the freaking item on the bill.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 14:35:34 »
Meh.

I was just relaying what I've read.

Guess what I read was wrong.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 14:43:47 »
Oh I didnt know they were still around?

They had good lube sales and shipped quick. But I heard bad stuff for keysets shipping..  :-\

Offline GSimon

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 14:45:42 »
Fool you once shame on them, fool you twice shame on you. Take the risk if you think it's worth it and there are no other options, but they've shown they can't be trusted and don't deserve your business. In other words, if you buy something consider the money lost and if you actually get something then it's a nice unexpected surprise.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 12 November 2014, 09:06:53 »
I just ordered with them last week.

Nothing but good things. ( and I know the complaints of the past were large )

I emailed them asking to see if the items were in stock and ready to ship, and a quick email reply said they were.

Bought my item, and I got it 2 days later no problems.

As a joke in the comments section of orders I always write something goofy like "Draw a dinosaur on the box" and they even doodled a little dinosaur for me.

While the item I bought was really expensive, but no issues with purchasing and shipping.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 11:26:35 »

I emailed them asking to see if the items were in stock and ready to ship, and a quick email reply said they were.

As a joke in the comments section of orders I always write something goofy like "Draw a dinosaur on the box" and they even doodled a little dinosaur for me.

While the item I bought was really expensive, but no issues with purchasing and shipping.

Hmmm. I was emailing with Sheraton and he seemed to skirt around things and then when I asked about the Dolch stuff he instantly stopped responding.. Can I ask what set you bought of there?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 14:48:17 »
It seems the biggest problem is the wide variety of responses received, if at all.

Some people get responses and order fulfilment immediately, others have outstanding or incomplete orders for months with no communication.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 15:58:48 »
It seems the biggest problem is the wide variety of responses received, if at all.

Some people get responses and order fulfilment immediately, others have outstanding or incomplete orders for months years with no communication.

FTFY

there's definitely stuff from at least 15 months ago that I've either heard about or seen posted.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 16:38:32 »

Some people get responses and order fulfilment immediately, others have outstanding or incomplete orders for months years with no communication.

FTFY

there's definitely stuff from at least 15 months ago that I've either heard about or seen posted.

why do you constantly talk out of your ass and spread misinformation? on what earth is 15 month years?

i have yet to see you say one correct thing. in literally 20 decades.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 16:45:11 »
I guess I was fortunate. I got my Portal PC Mods in about 2 weeks. He even threw in a free Creeper keycap...but that was also a year ago.

:-X
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline Jixr

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 16:51:53 »

Some people get responses and order fulfilment immediately, others have outstanding or incomplete orders for months with no communication.

The classic beige keycap set

Offline intelli78

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 23:52:57 »
There is a new email address posted on their website:

We apologized for any missed orders or missing keycaps.

Please e-mail us at missingkeycaps@originativeco.com for any missing keycaps with your order numbers. We will have them fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks again for shopping at Originative.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 00:57:29 »

Haha that's awesome! I try to always doodle some art on my boxes.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 06:37:00 »
There is a new email address posted on their website:

We apologized for any missed orders or missing keycaps.

Please e-mail us at missingkeycaps@originativeco.com for any missing keycaps with your order numbers. We will have them fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks again for shopping at Originative.

I've tried that one multiple times with no reply.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 12:49:41 »
>_>

Offline cruk

• :> keys
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 01:58:40 »
I've been waiting on the Black Friday Otaku set for ages, sending emails with no replies. I suggest avoiding the site altogether.

Offline dashing_girlboy

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 01:13:13 »
given the bad record so many people have, I would suggest avoiding it all together.

Offline SpikeBolt

• √(4) != -2
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 09:39:37 »
Avoid it like the plague.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 10:43:28 »
I am surprised that Sherryton is not showing up to defend himself... :-X

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 13:32:27 »
I am surprised that Sherryton is not showing up to defend himself... :-X

Why would he? He doesn't respond to those of us who send emails about orders that were never fulfilled.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 13:34:59 »
Why would he? He doesn't respond to those of us who send emails about orders that were never fulfilled.

Good point. Withdrawn... :rolleyes:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 15:15:44 »
He's also, you know, banned.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 15:23:39 »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 15:27:23 »

Wha- why?  :eek:

See: here

Reading through that thread, it seems like he's not actually banned and I posted without thinking again.

He doesn't read GH anymore though, his last online is May 26th of this year.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 15:52:46 »

Reading through that thread, it seems like he's not actually banned and I posted without thinking again.

I guess he got chased off...*shrugs*

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 18:36:30 »

I guess he got chased off...*shrugs*
No he stopped coming around and responding before any action was taken on eliminating his subforum and vendor status. That was part of the problem and it wasn't the first time he disappeared with unfulfilled orders.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 19:04:31 »
He probably just figured it wasn't worth the time and effort to try to protect originativeco's image on GH.  Maybe it's because GH only makes up a small percentage of his sales, or maybe it's because despite his shady rep, people keep buying from him

Offline intelli78

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 19:47:32 »
I am surprised that people haven't gotten together to have a lawyer send him a letter. It wouldn't cost much at all and it would fix his ass up real fast. This is one very valid/legitimate reason that they exist.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 20:25:21 »
I am surprised that people haven't gotten together to have a lawyer send him a letter. It wouldn't cost much at all and it would fix his ass up real fast. This is one very valid/legitimate reason that they exist.

you really wanna pay a lawyer to serve him?

Offline intelli78

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 20:39:56 »
You ask like it's a ridiculous concept, lol WUT?

He doesn't owe me anything personally, but if he had my money, hell yeah I would. How many people never got their orders? 50? More? Split that many ways, it would be dirt cheap. I highly doubt it would get to court. He would make things right real quick, because if it got to that point, it would be a legal slaughter.

Right now he doesn't think there are any consequences because he relies on people having your attitude...
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 November 2014, 20:42:15 by intelli78 »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 20:41:54 »
Don't we have a (former) lawyer here :p?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 19:30:59 »
or maybe it's because despite his shady rep, people keep buying from him

Geeks are stupid that way. They'll buy from anyone shady if that guy has a few rare or beautiful items that the geek has decided he will take severe risks to get.

In fact the 'proof of ownership' rule was invented precisely to prevent people from selling Group Buy places in advance, without having real possession of the item being sold. It would only be too easy for a scammer to sell 10 places in 10 group buys, disappear with 100 people's money, and the scam would only come to light 6 months later.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline tbc

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 22:00:16 »
are you sure?

who the hell buys a slot without talking to the gb person?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 22:51:14 »
are you sure?

Used to be a popular practice.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 23:01:53 »
are you sure?

Used to be a popular practice.

plus look at the last couple pages in the Toxic group buy thread
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 23:08:25 »
make sure you email them before you purchase from the automated eshop system.
You have to get a reply from a real human that the item is still in stock and will be shipped to you as soon as you send payment.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 23:11:25 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 August 2015, 09:28:00 by esoomenona »