Author Topic: Looking for a new mouse I love my rival but I need onboard memory or.......  (Read 5089 times)

Offline LifeIsGooD2

basically I need a mouse that is plug and play like the Zowie mice

I have LOVED the Rival and EC1 but I have a problem with both
1. The EC1 DPI isnt for me 1150 too slow 2300 too fast but its my favorite mouse ever comfort wise
2. The Steelseries Rival ONLY problem for me is it appears that it wont save my DPI. I like to LAN so I need something that is either A. Plug and play or B. Adjustable DPI.

Looking for a mouse that is similar to these two and a perfect sensor is #1 on my list. How about the FK ? Is it shaped anything like the EC1 ? or is it completely different ?

If I knew for sure I would like the FK comfort wise I would just get that because it has all the features I want.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 November 2014, 19:29:43 by LifeIsGooD2 »

Offline sorijealut

• steam
Re: Looking for a new mouse I love my rival but I need onboard memory or.......
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 20:39:21 »
If you don't mind claw grip and a shape that is quite flat, go for the FK1 and not the "FK" version.
The extra length goes a long way in terms of comfort. It's not a mouse you can palm grip naturally, so I would only recommend it for claw grips with quite of bit of room between your palm and the back of the mouse.
The use is simplified to just plugging in and playing for me, and it's nice I don't have to worry about driver updates or additional software bogging up my computer.
It's probably one of the few mice out there with no real "flaws" for its intended use (which is mainly FPS games, and I'm going to assume you're an FPS gamer since you seem to know the importance of a good sensor). Since the FK1 uses the same sensor as the Rival, I think you'd agree that the avago 3310 sensor it uses is dead solid, and in my own use, it's only being outperformed by G502's sensor, 3366.
But you should be aware of its build quality issues - although I haven't had a problem with mine but I've seen numerous posts complaining about scroll wheel problems.

Another choice you can't go wrong with is G400s if you're looking for a more comfortable mouse and don't mind a slightly less performing sensor.
I don't recommend G502 personally because I found it impossible to use with all those macro buttons that make gripping it near impossible for my hands. It's also heavy and the inconsistent shape was discomforting.

Offline LifeIsGooD2

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 08:01:36 »
 thanks

Im not 100 Percent sure what grip I use but  Im pretty sure its a fingertip grip theres definitely space between the mouse and my palm

this mouse is for RTS mainly SC2

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 10:14:57 »
thanks

Im not 100 Percent sure what grip I use but  Im pretty sure its a fingertip grip theres definitely space between the mouse and my palm

No problem. Oh, SC2 player huh? then my recommendation would change because for RTS mice, I place importance in this order.
Mouse clicks>mouse shape>sensor
Also aesthetics if you care.

In my opinion its much better to have good fast clicks with a comfortable shape over a top of the line sensor. The sensor only needs to be a decent optical. I recommend the CM Spawn as it is a great mouse for RTS because of its light clicks and claw grip as well as deathadder or g400S for palm grips (but gnerally pros like smaller claw grips). The steelseries mice are good too. It's really up to what is your desired shape and size of the mouse.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 November 2014, 10:24:16 by sorijealut »

Offline woll3

• ESL Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 10:21:51 »
2. The Steelseries Rival ONLY problem for me is it appears that it wont save my DPI.

Well than either you are doing something wrong or something is broken, i dont remember it clearly anymore but iirc you have to save the profile on the mouse via a button in the software.

Offline LifeIsGooD2

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 11:30:33 »
2. The Steelseries Rival ONLY problem for me is it appears that it wont save my DPI.

Well than either you are doing something wrong or something is broken, i dont remember it clearly anymore but iirc you have to save the profile on the mouse via a button in the software.

I mean when I go to a new PC without the firmware installed it doesnt save the DPI/Settings

when I go to lan I cant install the steelseries driver

Offline LifeIsGooD2

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 11:52:01 »
thanks

No problem. Oh, SC2 player huh? then my recommendation would change because for RTS mice, I place importance in this order.
Mouse clicks>mouse shape>sensor
Also aesthetics if you care.

In my opinion its much better to have good fast clicks with a comfortable shape over a top of the line sensor. The sensor only needs to be a decent optical. I recommend the CM Spawn as it is a great mouse for RTS because of its light clicks and claw grip as well as deathadder or g400S for palm grips (but gnerally pros like smaller claw grips). The steelseries mice are good too. It's really up to what is your desired shape and size of the mouse.

thanks your posts are really helpful

Ill checl out the CM Storm

do you have any opinions on the CM Alcor ?

Offline woll3

• ESL Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 13:48:44 »
I mean when I go to a new PC without the firmware installed it doesnt save the DPI/Settings

What firmware?

You just have to save the settings on the onboard profile and youre good to go.

Offline LifeIsGooD2

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 15:46:10 »
For some reason it doesnt save the DPI when I go to other computers maybe Im doing something wrong.

thanks woll3 you were right

I forgot I had steelseries engine on that other PC and it was reverting to those settings

I will probably be keeping my rival now !
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 November 2014, 15:51:44 by LifeIsGooD2 »

Offline woll3

• ESL Profile
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 15:57:31 »

Guess thats a classic one. :D

Altough it is pretty annoying that it defaults back when the SS Engine is installed.

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 18:52:39 »
For some reason it doesnt save the DPI when I go to other computers maybe Im doing something wrong.

thanks woll3 you were right

I forgot I had steelseries engine on that other PC and it was reverting to those settings

Since onboard memory was a big part of your problem, you can very well keep that mouse for a long time if you like everything else about i  :thumb:

CM Alcor btw, I don't know too much about.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 November 2014, 19:41:09 by sorijealut »

Offline dmbr

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 08:07:32 »
The g502 is similar to the Rival in weight and grip, and has a superior sensor, handy extra buttons, and firmware/software that's not crap. Lousy mouse wheel though :/
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 December 2014, 08:09:14 by dmbr »

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 12:51:24 »
The g502 is similar to the Rival in weight and grip, and has a superior sensor, handy extra buttons, and firmware/software that's not crap. Lousy mouse wheel though :/

Yeah that wheel is something else. It's like slip n slide for your fingers. And the wheel itself is way too heavy.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 14:05:15 »
I know the RAT TE isn't shaped like the EC1 or Rival, but for a fingertip / claw grip and largish hands it's very comfortable and has onboard storage of profiles. Also very light, which suits my style of play.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline dmbr

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 13:10:01 »

Yeah that wheel is something else. It's like slip n slide for your fingers. And the wheel itself is way too heavy.
shame, too, since it's 4-D and has free scroll...if it weren't for the wheel (and for my taste, the excessive weight), it'd be an awesome mouse :(

Why is it that mice with all the niceties can't be light and well-made? Being a Kone fan who appreciates a full-featured mouse wheel, I was excited to see the Kone Pure XTD Optical be announced until I saw it was 30g(!) heavier than the KPM...with the option for add-on weights -__-

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 00:51:10 »

shame, too, since it's 4-D and has free scroll...if it weren't for the wheel (and for my taste, the excessive weight), it'd be an awesome mouse :(

Why is it that mice with all the niceties can't be light and well-made? Being a Kone fan who appreciates a full-featured mouse wheel, I was excited to see the Kone Pure XTD Optical be announced until I saw it was 30g(!) heavier than the KPM...with the option for add-on weights -__-

I too, shudder at the heavy mice such as the G502 that also happen to have the weight add-on feature...  :eek: