Author Topic: Zowie FK1 sensor problems  (Read 10324 times)

Offline intelli78

Zowie FK1 sensor problems
« on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 21:44:45 »
I bought an FK1 from Amazon a while ago - it had sensor problems, cursor would randomly start skipping inches at a time. I returned it and got a replacement. A couple months in, the new one is intermittently doing the exact same thing. I'm using it on OSX with USB Overdrive.

Is anyone aware of a known problem with this sensor + OSX? I have googled but found nothing. But the fact that the replacement mouse is doing the same thing makes me think it's my computer.
I haven't had the chance to try it on another computer for an extended period of time.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline munch

• !
Re: Zowie FK1 sensor problems
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 05:43:59 »
which mousepad are you using with it?

Offline intelli78

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 06:03:58 »
which mousepad are you using with it?

A big black Perixx mousepad, although I have tried many surfaces.
Also I should note that although I haven't tried the Zowie with another computer, I have tried other mice with my computer, and none of them have this problem.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 07:40:12 »
I know that the 3310 sensor is very sensitive to certain surfaces that have a bit of sheen to it? I'm not really sure what exact (if even visible) properties it is due to these sensors not really being the same as our eyes.
my Rival, Kone Pure Military, Avior 7000 and FK1 (well not mine but I tried it) all have problems on two of my pads with skipping/drifting. the amount of skipping depends on sensitivity in-game it seems though.

Artisan Raiden MID and fUnc F10 XL were the pads in question BTW.

and it only happens sometimes, when lifting and swiping it around too fast. you should see if it happens if you switch to a different surface, maybe a different material? if you have the time to give it a real try sometime

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 23:34:50 »
I never had a problem unless it was dirty.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 23:36:12 »
I never had a problem unless it was dirty.

Interesting. I exchanged this mouse with Amazon for another one, and I have the same problem with it. I don't have this problem with other mice. I have still not tested it on another machine.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 09:47:34 »
I bought an FK1 from Amazon a while ago - it had sensor problems, cursor would randomly start skipping inches at a time. I returned it and got a replacement. A couple months in, the new one is intermittently doing the exact same thing. I'm using it on OSX with USB Overdrive.

Is anyone aware of a known problem with this sensor + OSX? I have googled but found nothing. But the fact that the replacement mouse is doing the same thing makes me think it's my computer.
I haven't had the chance to try it on another computer for an extended period of time.
What is "USB Overdrive", possibly that may be causing the problem. I am using OSX with my FK1 without any issues.

Offline whitefang

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 13:43:55 »
I have a KPM (3310) and there's certain spots on my XTracPad Hybrid that it doesn't track on. There will be like a 1mm gap in mouse movement. Not sure what this is called, I don't think its skipping. I can run the sensor back and forth over the same spot to reproduce the movement cutting out in the spot over and over. Every other pad I've tried it with works fine though.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 02:57:18 »
I just happened to solve this problem by chance today.

I recently reformatted my Mac and my Zowie FK1 worked normally until today, when I installed F.lux. The problem immediately began again. Upon quitting Flux, it stopped. Very odd. I hope this information helps someone else diagnose this problem. I have posted on the F.lux support forum to see if the developers will work with me to fix this bug.

Edit: Here is a link with more discussion...https://justgetflux.com/forum/topic/77/jumping-mouse
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 September 2015, 03:02:27 by intelli78 »