Author Topic: IBM F AT $79 shipped  (Read 1962 times)

Offline intelli78

IBM F AT $79 shipped
« on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 20:36:02 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintage-IBM-Personal-Computer-PC-AT-keyboard-ASIS-UNTESTED-/321595095504?pt=Keyboard_Mice_Bundles&hash=item4ae08fb9d0

Untested, needs a couple keycaps which should be available from Clicky Keyboards.
I think it's worth taking a chance on, looks to be in decent shape.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Re: IBM F AT $79 shipped
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 20:54:13 »
How is this still unsold?  Anyone having the least bit of concern about the missing keys, don't, they're the same keys as found on Model M's and *easily* replaceable.

If you've been waiting for an F, grab this, you're likely not to find a better price for a long time.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 21:05:31 »
yeah i's a little more than I got mine for.

Keycaps are not the same as model M. They changed the font at least on the tenkey. You can replace from PC/XT KB tenkey though. or replace all the numbered keys at once.

or do what I do and blatantly mix keycaps from like 3 decades and don't mind the differences.

Seriously: how is this still available?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 21:06:54 »
yeah i's a little more than I got mine for.

Keycaps are not the same as model M. They changed the font at least on the tenkey. You can replace from PC/XT KB tenkey though. or replace all the numbered keys at once.

or do what I do and blatantly mix keycaps from like 3 decades and don't mind the differences.

Because I already have one?  It could also be someone put an offer in and are waiting to see if they can get it for cheaper.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 22:09:14 »

Because I already have one?  It could also be someone put an offer in and are waiting to see if they can get it for cheaper.
[/quote] 

Some people are downright stupid.

I got mine for significantly more and would have pounced on this opportunity in the past. $79 shipped too expensive, I want $69 shipped. Is that what he's thinking?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline jevvix

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 01:03:49 »
Damn low price with free shipping. That was a steal. Anyone here get it?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 21:06:07 »
Oh, I didn’t realize there was a post about this. I snagged it.

Maybe part of the reason it was so cheap shipped is that it was crammed into a USPS flat rate box, wrapped with a tiny bit of crumpled paper. Basically the same as https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=66052. Luckily, the shipping doesn’t seem to have added any damage; other than a couple missing keycaps and some dirt, the keyboard is in pretty good shape: the mentioned stuck leg was just improperly seated, easy to fix.

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 01:24:58 »
Oh, I didn�t realize there was a post about this. I snagged it.

Maybe part of the reason it was so cheap shipped is that it was crammed into a USPS flat rate box, wrapped with a tiny bit of crumpled paper. Basically the same as https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=66052. Luckily, the shipping doesn�t seem to have added any damage; other than a couple missing keycaps and some dirt, the keyboard is in pretty good shape: the mentioned stuck leg was just improperly seated, easy to fix.

Nice grab jacobolus, got lucky there with no shipping damage. I got my F AT for $130 and the shipper used a nice amount of bubble wrap.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 07:29:17 »
In general, wrapping a keyboard in bubble wrap and filling the rest of the box with styrofoam peanuts is going to do the job for very little time and money.

That would be my expectation of a minimal packing job.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015