Author Topic: Looking for a MX White I read about and forgot  (Read 1365 times)

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
Looking for a MX White I read about and forgot
« on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 22:27:45 »
Read about a MX White mod several months ago, thought it was really cool, now I can't seem to find any more information on it.

I recall it was called the  "Jesus" mod or also called the "Lightening" mod, and it involved mixing MX Blue's and White's together.

More than that I can't recall, does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline twiddle

• Portfolio
Re: Looking for a MX White I read about and forgot
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 23:13:10 »
From the GH wiki:

The Jesus / The White Light (working name) - MX White slider (the white) combined with Korean 55g spring (the light). Similar to Baby Blues with a softer audible click.

Offline limitz

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 23:53:14 »
Solved. That was quick.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline twiddle

• Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 02:52:11 »
When (if?) I eventually get my PCBs/Cases/Springs from Sprit I intend to try this mod out. Interested to see how the click ends up sounding - if it's the more muted noise I get when I use thick SA caps on my old Blackwidow with Blues, it should be quiet enough for me to take into the office without being fired.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 November 2014, 02:57:29 by twiddle »

Offline limitz

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 08:43:59 »
When (if?) I eventually get my PCBs/Cases/Springs from Sprit I intend to try this mod out. Interested to see how the click ends up sounding - if it's the more muted noise I get when I use thick SA caps on my old Blackwidow with Blues, it should be quiet enough for me to take into the office without being fired.

Don't hold your breath. Ordered springs from Sprit in the R1, on July 18 of this year. Still have not received.

Last I heard, he was shipping them together w/ my R2 case in the first week of November. Nearly 4 weeks have passed, still nothing.

I'm the only person in NA who still hasnt received the R1 spring order.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 12:01:57 »
Or just find vintage board with first generation 55g white. No need to do a thing!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 12:31:08 »
Or just find vintage board with first generation 55g white. No need to do a thing!

How hard would that be to do? How many vintage boards had MX whites?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 12:33:20 »
I recall reading a thread where a user on DT bought a bunch of Nixdorf PCBs just for the vintage MX White in the spacebar and then sold or is selling the rest of the PCB. Seems like they're fairly rare but I'm not 100% sure.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 12:53:58 »
I got a Cherry BXN5-C651 recently with them that had the IRMAkey branding. I know the G80-0441 also came with them. Some models of Olympia Carrera and Olympus electric typewriters have them (though they both also used clear linears, and they look identical with no way to tell them apart until touching them or seeing inside the switch). I've also seen them on some other keyboards, but I can't recall the brands and models at the moment.

Offline twiddle

• Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 13:29:39 »
Don't hold your breath. Ordered springs from Sprit in the R1, on July 18 of this year. Still have not received.
I'm aware of the delays and such. Order is placed and money sent though, so nothing to do but wait it out. I tend to think your springs are delayed because of the delays to R2 - this happened to me as well.

It is interesting to hear of existing switches and boards that had a similar combination, though. If I can find something that's similar I might buy to try it out, and then use the Sprit stuff when it eventually arrives for something else if I don't like the result.