Author Topic: Any interest in an ISO IBM Model M conversion?  (Read 4808 times)

Offline ezrahilyer

Any interest in an ISO IBM Model M conversion?
« on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 00:16:53 »
I have been converting 122 key Model Ms from their original ISO layout, (short left shift, and vertical large enter key) for some time now, and I am wondering if there was any interest in going the other way? I have a lot of the short shifts and enter keys piling up, and thought i might convert a few Model M 101 key boards that came in ANSI over to ISO.

I don't really see ISO versions of the M here, so perhaps some people might want one.
Anyone here fans of ISO on the 101 key Model Ms?

-Ezra

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Any interest in an ISO IBM Model M conversion?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 08:47:53 »
The short left shift opens up the "secret key" between left shift and "Z" which is a perfect candidate for the missing "Windows" key.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 08:49:47 »
Probably not much ISO interest stateside, but there has been a few requests for ISO M's recently from some newer European users in this forum.  Probably the harder part would be non US key cap requests though.  Maybe you could offer a new set from Unicomp with an upcharge in the desired layout and combine shipping?  Just a thought.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline TheSven

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 08:53:14 »
Could they be programmed in a UK layout and how much would it cost?

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 10:21:12 »
I have an ANSI model M that I'll soon convert to ISO .

If you have pictures of the 2 parts of the Iso enter key I'm interested .
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 13:56:38 »

These are the parts you would need to convert An ANSI board over to ISO.

You will need an extra hammer to split the long left shift into a short-shift, and you will need a vertical stabilizer on the enter (field exit) key.
The right shift is only necessary for aesthetic reasons, since the shift legends would not match otherwise.
the 1u size |\ key replaces the 1.5u key on ANSI.
The >< key is the one that comes on the M122s between left shift and Z, although it may not match the legend on native ISO boards.

As far as cost, I would be happy with an even trade, since you would have two shift keys left over, a 1.5u \| key, and enter key, and 1 horizontal stabilizer.

If you don't want to do a trade, then I would sell them outright for $8 which is the approximate replacement cost (including shipping) If I bought another keyset to replace it.

-ezra
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 November 2014, 13:59:49 by ezrahilyer »

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 14:25:07 »
Could they be programmed in a UK layout and how much would it cost?

They certainly could be programed as uk layout boards, they could even be set up to fake ANSI and output in ISO uk layout by changing the output tables in firmware. (soarers converter) but if they were just setup in regular ISO and the keyboard layout was changed in your computer settings, that would work as well.

The only real difference I see would be that a few keycaps would not match, and so you would have to get a replacement keycap or two.
I was unable to find complete UK layout keycap sets from Unicomp, but perhaps they just don't have them on their site.

As far as cost, I don't charge extra to customize the layout since I always have the boards open anyway when I do the rivet replacements, so it wouldn't be a problem to swap a hammer or two and turn it into an ISO board.

My boards generally sell for one of 2 prices: $125 for class B restorations: might have a small scratch somewhere on the case, or maybe some of the keys are a little shined from use,
and $150 for Class A: essentially brand new, a perfect board that could easily pass as new in box.

All my boards have full rivet replacements done, and have an internal Soarers converter, with a flush-mount USB/B connector, and include a Premium Nylon Braided USB Cable.

I am currently working out a way to provide full warranty support for my conversions, and all of my boards will be grandfathered into that warranty. (More on that later on)

-Ezra
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 November 2014, 14:29:00 by ezrahilyer »

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 14:50:11 »

Show Image

You will need an extra hammer to split the long left shift into a short-shift, and you will need a vertical stabilizer on the enter (field exit) key.
The right shift is only necessary for aesthetic reasons, since the shift legends would not match otherwise.
The >< key is the one that comes on the M122s between left shift and Z, although it may not match the legend on native ISO boards.

As far as cost, I would be happy with an even trade, since you would have two shift keys left over, a 1.5u \| key, and enter key, and 1 horizontal stabilizer.

If you don't want to do a trade, then I would sell them outright for $8 which is the approximate replacement cost (including shipping) If I bought another keyset to replace it.

-ezra

Thanks for the confirmation on what will be necessary .

I would have liked to trade with you , but I'll go with unicomp since I want an Azerty ISO keyset .

Azerty Propagandiste

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 15:16:27 »

I'll go with unicomp since I want an Azerty ISO keyset .

Unicomp is all-new gear so they have some flexibility.

Clickykeyboards sells original caps harvested from old-school IBM boards, so you might get better color and style matches there.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline TheSven

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 15:33:52 »
I am ordering an original UK ISO Model M on Thursday, so I may buy one some time in the future, but not at the moment :).

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 18:54:04 »
I am ordering an original UK ISO Model M on Thursday, so I may buy one some time in the future, but not at the moment :).

Cool! Are you getting a restored one? Or do you intend to restore it yourself? Are you converting to USB? or are you using an adaptor?

-Ezra

Offline TheSven

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 11:16:27 »
It is a refurbished one, but I will probably clean the keycaps. It has a PS/2 connector so no adaptors needed. I'm stoked. I've also just bought an M2 for £2 but the capacitors are shot. Still worth both I think. :)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 14:43:02 »

Show Image

-ezra

The conversion is not the problem. The shipping is. It's like $80 to ship from USA to Europe. Not at all competitive when Europeans can easily and cheaply get Cherry keyboards.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.