Author Topic: Wondering how I can obtain some unusual sized keycaps.  (Read 3550 times)

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
Wondering how I can obtain some unusual sized keycaps.
« on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 16:13:48 »
I'm planning a custom board and require some odd sized keycaps. I need:

R2 1 x 2 (That's the size of an ANSI backspace just in enter key level size)

R1 1 x 2.5

Preferable Blank PBT

Anyone have any ideas where I can get these, at a reasonable price?

Offline mozaiq

Re: Wondering how I can obtain some unusual sized keycaps.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 17:32:29 »
Have you thought about getting your keycaps in a uniform profile, i.e. each row has the same profile? Not everyone likes it (personally I haven't tried this yet) but this would make the search much easier. DSA would be an example that is regularly available via groupbuys. Also there is always a possibility to get DSA profile blanks directly from pimpmykeyboard.com.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 20:55:57 »
the size reqs are very interesting. Even with my sea of keycaps I doubt I have something like that in ABS (let alone PBT). Are you going for custom PCB? If you are, I very strongly suggest you respect keycap sizing norms, because otherwise you might not be able to find any keycaps for your hard work!
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 01:16:35 »
^^ +1 to this. Adjust the design to allow standard size keycaps. Really opens up the options for keycaps and also possible marketability / adoption of the design. Even the 40% Smallfry board which uses standard sizes, but in odd positions is hard to find a nice set of keycaps for, especially sculptured.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 01:22:37 »
I just tyed a long response and hit back  -_-

These special keys are modifiers. I am making a board similar to ANSI but with the difference in size between the mods on each side evened out. I will look into using standard caps but not sure if they will work.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 01:38:18 »
Success... I think? SP offers all these sizes in it's DCS Row 4. Will I need to try and pick these up from their overstock section?

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 02:55:46 »
Success... I think? SP offers all these sizes in it's DCS Row 4. Will I need to try and pick these up from their overstock section?

I think their inventory is currently closed thanks to the pregnancy of M Petersen? I check monthly hoping to get my 6x space bars too.

That said if you have to rely on Row 4 for your mods it's not a good thing because Row 4 is high and many people have a problem with that if you're going to locate them at Shift or something.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 03:02:18 »

I think their inventory is currently closed thanks to the pregnancy of M Petersen? I check monthly hoping to get my 6x space bars too.

That said if you have to rely on Row 4 for your mods it's not a good thing because Row 4 is high and many people have a problem with that if you're going to locate them at Shift or something.

It's not that much higher is it? I'm away from my board right now but i think the small step up to the mods might be quite nice?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 07:28:47 »

It's not that much higher is it? I'm away from my board right now but i think the small step up to the mods might be quite nice?

In DCS profile, Row 4 is the ZXCV row and the same profile is used for the modifer row, so it should be just fine. Row 1 is the number row and Row 5 is the F-key row (probably only designed after the main areas and they didn't want to call it Row 0, I guess.).

May have to wait for Melissa to come back after maternity leave (sometime in January I'd guess) to ask about ordering ovestock keycaps.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 07:42:13 »
Will row 4 keys be ok for modifiers all the way up to Row 2?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 12:56:50 »
If you will be less picky, there are some old terminal boards that can often be had for cheap such as Wyse, Link, Reynolds, etc. that have 2 units enter and 2.5 units ctrl, but you will have to settle for abs doubleshots.
It probably would be better to redesign... if your goal is to make the board more symmetrical usually a 1.75 enter is used to match the caps lock on the other side, with both shifts as 2.25 and a 1.5 backspace. Those will still be obscure, but not quite as obscure as what you are currently after.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 November 2014, 13:02:27 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 13:11:14 »
If you will be less picky, there are some old terminal boards that can often be had for cheap such as Wyse, Link, Reynolds, etc. that have 2 units enter and 2.5 units ctrl, but you will have to settle for abs doubleshots.
It probably would be better to redesign... if your goal is to make the board more symmetrical usually a 1.75 enter is used to match the caps lock on the other side, with both shifts as 2.25 and a 1.5 backspace. Those will still be obscure, but not quite as obscure as what you are currently after.

Just to add my geekhack experience.

If you're designing your own keyboard, you will eventually need PCB and casing. You need people's support to get economies of scale. It is incredibly expensive to make just 1 plate or casing.

If you have weird spacings or require hard to get keycaps, it is unlikely that people will support your keyboard. You will just incur higher costs on yourself.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 16:15:50 »

Just to add my geekhack experience.

If you're designing your own keyboard, you will eventually need PCB and casing. You need people's support to get economies of scale. It is incredibly expensive to make just 1 plate or casing.

If you have weird spacings or require hard to get keycaps, it is unlikely that people will support your keyboard. You will just incur higher costs on yourself.

Thanks for the input.

It will probably be a hand built case - And from what I've seen single layer pcb is not extremely expensive... or maybe im wrong.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 16:23:54 »
If you're okay with going plateless, a homemade case and single layer PCB is fine and the PCB doesn't have to cost much, especially if you can find a local service to do it.

I made my DIY board by modifying an existing plate (which may also be an option in your case, but it means you may sacrifice the board it came from) and making a case.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 16:26:26 »
If you're okay with going plateless, a homemade case and single layer PCB is fine and the PCB doesn't have to cost much, especially if you can find a local service to do it.

I made my DIY board by modifying an existing plate (which may also be an option in your case, but it means you may sacrifice the board it came from) and making a case.

What are the disadvantages of not having a plate?

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 19:53:29 »

What are the disadvantages of not having a plate?

The more I see this, the more I think you need to read more threads in the archives. Call this friendly discouragement, but costs are seriously going to be more than you expected if you insist on going 'unique'

Offline jalaj

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 20:28:21 »
dunno if the max keyboard keycap sets will have what you're looking for, but they're usually good sets to have for the various keycap sizes and profiles

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/products/parts-and-accesssories/key-cap/full-keycap-sets.html

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 05:17:51 »
Can you post a diagram of your desired layout? You might find http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com a useful resource.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 10:41:30 »
Can you post a diagram of your desired layout? You might find http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com a useful resource.

Sure: here

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 14:37:57 »
You can create your own set of Row 3 blank PBT caps from here: http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/products/full-keysets/dsa-blank-keys

Just add all the types you want (in the colours you want) and then change the quantities in your basket. It's a "flat" profile, so any key can fit on any row.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 17:09:07 »
I recommend just using 1.5u keys instead:

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 17:22:16 »
I recommend just using 1.5u keys instead:
Show Image

I considered a layout like this but I think I will be able to aquire the more unusual caps.