Author Topic: Fans of the Griffin Powermate have you seen the Senic Flow?  (Read 3738 times)

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe

Offline jacobolus

Re: Fans of the Griffin Powermate have you seen the Senic Flow?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 05:05:24 »
So wait, does this thing have a knob that actually turns, or is it just capsense / infrared camera? It says: “sensors: 360° angular positioning, capacitive touch, infrared based hand gesture recognition, luminosity”. How does the angle sensor work and what’s it for? It looked to me like to spin the knob part there wasn’t actually anything physically moving, but it’s hard to tell from their video.

Anyway, I’ll wait to see one of these until offering a judgment, but I’d be most concerned about latency, gesture sensing accuracy, and ease of configuraiton.

Always glad to see more people building HCI hardware experiments regardless.

I’d love to see someone do a review vs. really nice existing knobs.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 November 2014, 05:07:14 by jacobolus »

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 09:54:46 »
Agreed I have many of the same concerns, was thinking of getting one but probably worth waiting. It does look like the knob actually turns, they have a demo of it with photoshop which looks pretty slick. This basically strikes me as a griffin Powermate mixed with a simpler leap motion.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 11:27:33 »
This could be a cool project to tackle DIY. Bluefruit EZ Key + rotary  encoder + big knob = $50ish

Wouldn't have the motion sensing but would be a pretty cool little bluetooth rotary knob.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 15:50:49 »
This could be a cool project to tackle DIY. Bluefruit EZ Key + rotary  encoder + big knob = $50ish

Wouldn't have the motion sensing but would be a pretty cool little bluetooth rotary knob.
Yep, totally agree. Though very nice precise rotary encoders / potentiometers (this project claims their knob turning feature is ~1000 counts/turn) can get pretty pricey.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 22:18:43 »

Yep, totally agree. Though very nice precise rotary encoders / potentiometers (this project claims their knob turning feature is ~1000 counts/turn) can get pretty pricey.
Yeah i'm a bit frustrated right now, I remember seeing a 128 pulse encoder on adafruit for like $25 a while ago but it seems like they no longer stock it.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED