Author Topic: (Koss) Black Friday %50 off of PRODJ series headphones  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: (Koss) Black Friday %50 off of PRODJ series headphones
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 19:49:37 »
sigh In for a pair.  I couldn't pass them up at $45 after taxes, especially after I missed out on the Sennheisers earlier today.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 21:19:59 »
sigh In for a pair.  I couldn't pass them up at $45 after taxes, especially after I missed out on the Sennheisers earlier today.

You won't be disappointed. I had a pair that I gave to my daughter, and like most reviews said, very solid.  Make sure to burn them in for at least 12 hours or more.  I always thought that was a myth, but with these, it was a significant difference.  Also, just make sure to register the headphones on their site to get the lifetime warranty. 

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 08:48:51 »
Also, just make sure to register the headphones on their site to get the lifetime warranty. 

This is crucial. Not because of bad quality but because of good warranty. Koss' returns process is excellent for the one HP I've had to send back.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 23:40:42 »
I really need to burn them in, but so far I'm on the fence with them.  I think I need an amp or good DAC/amp for them.  They're absolutely terrible sounding on my Macbook, I haven't tried them with my iPod yet, and they're pretty decent from my HT Omega Striker on my computer.  So far I've noticed a slight bass emphasis, mildly muted mids with the HT Omega (severely muted with the Macbook), and highs that tend a little closer to shrill than I like (but I'm super sensitive to high frequencies).  In some ways they're better than my AD700s and in some ways they're a little worse.  With a good neutral amp, they may become more balanced.

I'll have to see if burn in makes them better.  They're not bad at all, they just really need a good DAC/amp paired with them from what I've seen so far.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 00:13:49 »
I really need to burn them in, but so far I'm on the fence with them.  I think I need an amp or good DAC/amp for them.  They're absolutely terrible sounding on my Macbook, I haven't tried them with my iPod yet, and they're pretty decent from my HT Omega Striker on my computer.  So far I've noticed a slight bass emphasis, mildly muted mids with the HT Omega (severely muted with the Macbook), and highs that tend a little closer to shrill than I like (but I'm super sensitive to high frequencies).  In some ways they're better than my AD700s and in some ways they're a little worse.  With a good neutral amp, they may become more balanced.

I'll have to see if burn in makes them better.  They're not bad at all, they just really need a good DAC/amp paired with them from what I've seen so far.

I agree that they sounded better with an amp.  I used mine paired with a Sony DA30ES and my Asus Xonar DG sound card and after burn in, both had great neutral sound (exactly what I wanted).  The lower bass will soften after burn in which really will let the mids shine.  I did try them on a 3rd gen Ipod and they were ok, just not great volume.