Author Topic: Logitech G5 vs. MX400  (Read 3080 times)

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
Logitech G5 vs. MX400
« on: Sat, 25 July 2009, 23:38:15 »
I decided I wanted a nice mouse after a co-worker bought a Logitech G7 on the company dime.  I don't like wired mice, so I always figured the G5 (similar, wired) was right for me.  However, I was cheap and bought an MX400 instead.

Today, I found I could get a G5 locally for 43 bucks, and I had a $35 "rebate on a prepaid debit card", so I figured I'd indulge.

The MX400 I bought last Black Friday, for comparison, was about 40.00 new.

What I noticed immediately was the feel.  The G7 I tried had a rubbery, grippy finish, very much similar to the MX400.  The G5, listed as "new design", has an uneven finish, perhaps for a better grip.  The side panels are strongly textured.  Overall, it doesn't feel like a premium, more a "rugged" feel.

The wheel is much more prominently notched than the MX400.

The side buttons have negligible feedback-- it's like going from a click switch to a rubber done, and indeed even feels like the bare dome.

The big "enhancements":

The cord is braided, not wrapped.  I like the wrapped look-- what will braiding save me?

The removable weight cartridge-- nice, but gimmicky.  I can feel only a minor alteration between no cartridge, 8x4.5g pellets, and 6x1.7g pellets.

The feet are smoother-- perhaps non-friction.  I really felt it.

DPI control- why not set it in control panel?

Overall, I'm not sure I wouldn't have been fine with another MX400-- I'll take one to the office.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
Logitech G5 vs. MX400
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 July 2009, 00:27:26 »
For 43 bucks, I'll be using it on my Phenom IV 4.5GHz.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Rajagra

Logitech G5 vs. MX400
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 July 2009, 04:23:05 »
The G5 is a fine mouse, I used one for years. You can program the resolution buttons to do something else.

Some people like mice as light as possible (use no weights), I preferred to use max weight so the mouse never moved by itself on my Icemat.

But the braided cords I never like. They snag on things, and make it harder to "train" the cord to stay straight. Dumb idea, I can't think of anything positive to say about them.

I stopped using the G5 when the scroll wheel started to need cleaning every few weeks to stop it jittering. But that was after years of very heavy use.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
Logitech G5 vs. MX400
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 July 2009, 07:51:13 »
My MX400 is my most expensive mouse.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Logitech G5 vs. MX400
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 26 July 2009, 09:50:45 »
Quote from: ripster;104424
But in the end I think mice are pretty generic these days. Toss em as soon as the teflon wears out.

The teflon feet have been holding up fine on my OEM Logitech for well over 5 years now (once I finally got them glued down permanently). Same goes for the bare plastic surface - the fancy surface of the MX series eventually wears off. It's starting to show a hint of yellowing though, but in any case still is plenty white enough.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D