Author Topic: Keyboard enthusiast from the valley  (Read 1227 times)

Offline kprav33n

Keyboard enthusiast from the valley
« on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 01:37:17 »
Hello everyone,

I'm Praveen Kumar. I'm from San Jose, CA. I'm a software engineer, who breaks and fixes code for living. I've been using computers for almost 22 years now. But, my keyboard enthusiasm hadn't started until 4 years ago, when I first learned to touch type on a Dvorak keyboard layout. Until then, I used to be an evolved hunt & peck typist with a decent speed, who looks at the keyboard on and off. I've come a long way since I started to touch type.

I'd been using Apple Bluetooth keyboard for quite a while. In search of a good keyboard that is easy on my broad shoulder frame, I switched to Kinesis Freestyle. I was happy with it until I laid my hands on some of the keyboards with Cherry MX switches. Then, I moved to a Code keyboard with Cherry MX Green at my work. I really fell in love with the mechanical switches, and I said to myself that there is no going back. I bought a Code keyboard with Cherry MX Clear switches for my home. But, I still felt that lack of split layout was kind of a deal breaker.

After a while, I really missed the convenience of a split keyboard layout. The only two options (split mechanical) that I saw available for me were Kinesis Advantage, and Ergodox. I didn't like Cherry MX Brown switches that much. At the same time, I was thrilled about the idea of building my own keyboard. Thus, I ordered an Ergodox from Massdrop a few months ago. When I got the kit, I was like a kid on Christmas morning. I assembled it in about 6 hours and have been using it at work since then. When I'm not at work, I type on the inbuilt keyboard on my Macbook. Sometimes, it throws me off a little bit to switch back and forth. I just ordered another Ergodox kit last week so that I can have one at home.

I recently came across Kiibohd, Infinity Keyboard Kit, and Keyboard Layout Language. I want to contribute something in the form of coding for one of the firmwares. I joined this forum to learn something for that.

Other than coding, and keyboards; I love to bike, lift weights, eat, and learn new things.

Thanks for all the wonderful work by this community! I'm now thrilled to be a part of it!
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 December 2014, 01:49:36 by kprav33n »

Offline munch

• !
Re: Keyboard enthusiast from the valley
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 00:13:29 »
welcome!
your other interests sound a lot like mine. I don't lift weights much in the sense of just lifting, but I do work out with kettlebells and body workouts :p

the ergodox is a cool kit! is that yours in the photo? :)

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 02:58:25 »
You should come to the meetup in Mountain View tomorrow: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65278

Offline kprav33n

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 13:44:23 »
welcome!
your other interests sound a lot like mine. I don't lift weights much in the sense of just lifting, but I do work out with kettlebells and body workouts :p

the ergodox is a cool kit! is that yours in the photo? :)

Thanks munch! I've never learned how to safely use kettlebells! I primarily lift using olympic barbell. The picture is from Massdrop that sells Ergodox kit. But, my keyboard looks exactly the same (without keycaps).

Offline kprav33n

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 13:45:30 »
You should come to the meetup in Mountain View tomorrow: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65278

Thanks for the information jacobolus. I'll be there today.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 05:15:56 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Not many people have more than one Ergo Dox - watch out for tp4tissue - he's our local Ergo Dox fanatic ;P
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ