Author Topic: Krytox and Latex dental bands  (Read 1694 times)

Offline jaemzp

Krytox and Latex dental bands
« on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 19:55:47 »
Hey everyone,
I've been thinking of performing the dental band mod on my HHKB, and thought well while I do this, why not lube the sliders as well.  The dilemma here is that I'm afraid there may be negative effects on the dental bands while using the lube (physical deformation/degradation of the material?) Should I be using non latex dental bands? or it shouldn't matter. Also, what does everyone recommend for the lube? Krytox GPL 103 or 107?

Thanks!

UPDATE: Ended up using the extra thick lube offered on techkeys.us, and it's now more silent than a stock hhkb type-s. Not quite sure how it compares to the regular thick lube though. Quite happy with the sound and don't mind the reduced travel distance.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 December 2014, 03:04:44 by jaemzp »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Krytox and Latex dental bands
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 20:49:32 »
hmm krytox is based on some very inert material. It sholud not react with or degrade your dental bands.

Other oils might though. Mkawa would know more.

I have heard that some dental bands are much better than others.

I believe a very thick lube is recommended for topre.

Offline jaemzp

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 21:27:05 »
hmm krytox is based on some very inert material. It sholud not react with or degrade your dental bands.

Other oils might though. Mkawa would know more.

I have heard that some dental bands are much better than others.

I believe a very thick lube is recommended for topre.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Really.. I've picked up some dental bands from a local orthodontist though they do seem a bit cheap. May need to do some more research into some other elastics. Might go with some 107 then if that's the case :)

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 00:14:50 »
I suggest you go with mkawa's thick lube haha.

Offline jaemzp

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 07:47:42 »
I suggest you go with mkawa's thick lube haha.

Hey frosty hope that poker case served you well :) I'm assuming mkawa's lube you guys are talking about is the thick lube that's offered on ctralt?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 08:32:28 »
yah, you want very thick lube. you might even use a little bit of spring lube instead of thick. make sure not to overdo it.

krytox will not degrade your dental bands in any way over any period of time.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline jaemzp

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 22:09:40 »
Damn, the thick is out of stock at the moment.. If I were to use both the thick and the thin where would be good places to use both on the board? That's good to hear, I've read in some threads that some people tend to avoid latex.. so thanks for clearing that up for me.

Offline jaemzp

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 06:13:38 »
So I got my hands on some extra thick lube from techkeys since the thick type is sold out everywhere. Some people recommend to use the extra thick, others say avoid it.. so there's a lot of mixed info on this subject. The question is should I use the extra thick lube or wait until the thick becomes available again? Is there a reason people avoid the extra thick type? If so why?

Brocaps recommends lubing these highlighted areas, so I'm going to use the extra thick lube there if everything is a go. Maybe around the barrel as well.