Author Topic: [AUS] HHKB Try before you buy!  (Read 13042 times)

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
Re: [AUS] HHKB Try before you buy!
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 21:54:19 »
HOORAY!!hope all goes well...the board is really nice...too bad it's out of my price range to purchase...
oh, and before i forget, merry chrismas,and a happy new year to you all.....especially to you Jersern
ALi
Filco MJ2 TKL MX Browns | KC60 Gateron Browns

Offline Jersern

• Australian Keyboard Modding and Repair Service
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 00:01:13 »
Thank you! :) The HHKB is a mere 300 dollars...................................................  :))

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 00:31:42 »
 ;D
yeah....what was i thinking.... ONLY 300..that's mere pennies per day over the life span of the board
ALi

Offline Moralless

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 08:16:33 »
First of I'd like to give a massive thanks to Jersern again for doing this tour.

It's currently 1am for me and I've just got back from doing some late night Christmas shopping :confused:. At first I thought the complete blank keyboard would pose as a problem to me at first but I underestimated at actually how little I look down while typing (I've yet to type any passwords though).  I'm currently typing this on the HHKB and I've got to say my first impressions on Topre are pretty great. I've realized that the many attempts to describe what topre feels like don't come close to the real experience which makes me appreciate these tours even more as these are great for people that are on the fence about these and can't justify the $200+ price mark of these boards to just 'try out'. I'll try and write about my thoughts on topre as I use them more just thought I'd update Jersern that his board has arrived safe and sound at my home :thumb:/

Offline Jersern

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 13:41:37 »
Awesome! :)

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 14:51:08 »
looking forward to some sort of review.....i do agree though that the topre switches are something else....and it does feel nice to type on it.not a glorified rubber dome, not a cherry, it's in a class of it's own.Though I've only spent a little time on it.....if only someone would gift me a HHKB... :))
ALi

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 16:24:56 »
And the first ever Aussie keyboard tour is underway :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Jersern

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 17:45:38 »
It most certainly is under-way! :)

Hopefully everything works out...  :))

None the less I will be making final preps for my trip today and tomorrow so this might be the last post in a while! If it is, see you guys in 2 week! :P And as soon as I come back, my out of school commitments begins again..................................  :mad: *sigh*

Have a happy and safe holiday everyone!

Edit: Oh and if this works out, I could tour some other things. Possibly an ergo clear Phantom... If I can get a BLOODY PLATE!!!!!!!! :mad: Those things are like unicorns! I've managed to miss out on every single one. 3 months it has sat in my drawer  :'( Maybe a second HHKB tour......

Well if any of you guys happen to be in Sydney, you can drop by my place and try out my board like Cephelix did  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 December 2014, 17:48:55 by Jersern »

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 19:38:49 »
yeah!thanks for that....
really envious of your collection....you should put them in a display cabinet....enjoy your trip man....
ALi

Offline Jersern

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 22:08:12 »
Oh and one last thing before I leave: if anyone does wish to join, I guess it can be done! Just fill out the form and I'll get back to you when I get back on the 5th (well realistically 6th of Jan).  :) The first person will be mailing the board out to the next on the 5th so things can still be arranged..................................  :)

yeah!thanks for that....
really envious of your collection....you should put them in a display cabinet....enjoy your trip man....

My keyboards normally sit on top of the "shelf" on top of my desk so it is on display :P

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 23:24:39 »
but it's supposed to be in a humidity and temperature controlled glass case with a laser alarm thingy and requires a retina scan and voice confirmation to unarm..... :D
ALi

Offline Moralless

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 23:28:08 »
but it's supposed to be in a humidity and temperature controlled glass case with a laser alarm thingy and requires a retina scan and voice confirmation to unarm..... :D

Don't worry, it is  :p

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 23:44:12 »

Don't worry, it is  :p

ahaha.....it's so safe even the owner can't unlock the case....
ALi

Offline Jersern

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 23:55:33 »
In the mean time I will type away on my Ducky Shine 3............... such an inferior typing experience... oh and mess about on the mouse CM sent my way for free  :D Also need to work out some sort of customisation for it......... :D

If only my Model M was up and running and not sitting in pieces awaiting parts...  :'( Luckily my replacement bits are going to arrive by the time I get back. Perfect timing really! And a new pair of headphones too! :D

Oh and I will bring my laptop with me but if there's no WiFi or LAN  :'( well I can live after all I survived 6 months with no internet in the mountains! :D

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 23:59:21 »
In the mean time I will type away on my Ducky Shine 3............... such an inferior typing experience... oh and mess about on the mouse CM sent my way for free  :D Also need to work out some sort of customisation for it......... :D

If only my Model M was up and running and not sitting in pieces awaiting parts...  :'( Luckily my replacement bits are going to arrive by the time I get back. Perfect timing really! And a new pair of headphones too! :D

Oh and I will bring my laptop with me but if there's no WiFi or LAN  :'( well I can live after all I survived 6 months with no internet in the mountains! :D
dont say that about the ducky....i'm planning to get the DS3 tkl when i get back.....and only if the filco is more expensive.....
what were you doing in the mountains for 6 months?
ALi

Offline Jersern

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 00:12:39 »
Haha! The Ducky is a beast of a board! :) If a Ducky is really what you want, go on Deskthority and buy a custom controller from Biphanies (Bathroom Epiphanies).

Well in the mountains and rural areas I was hiking and visiting ultra rural areas, meeting interesting people and families, staying with some of them etc. A truly worthwhile experience to spend some time away from modern comforts and live a very simple lifestyle for a change! Meeting the different people was really eye opening to think that in the 21st century they still do not have electricity, they do not have easy access to water they basically don't have anything we do really aside from plenty of happiness  ;) (cheesy I know...  :D) Drinking water straight from a cave is really nice! The water actually tastes delicious!  ^-^

Basically, I recommend staying out of cities for some time and enjoy the country side!  :thumb:

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 00:20:05 »
ok,now someone has to educate me on the controller bit.....i have no idea what it does bla bla bla

that is cool.....never been to areas that rural, and definitely not for that span of time......i should try that one day.....now if only my job gives sabbaticals....
ALi

Offline Jersern

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 00:22:50 »
Well it controls the keyboard sooo...................  :)) The custom one let's you do custom keymapping so custom function layer and custom layout.

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 00:30:29 »
Well it controls the keyboard sooo...................  :)) The custom one let's you do custom keymapping so custom function layer and custom layout.

cool..will check it out.thanks for the info..
ALi

Offline Jersern

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 00:35:23 »
Biphanies is very helpful and he seems pretty nice so I am sure he'll be able to assist you with any enquiries you wish to make.  :thumb:

Offline Jersern

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 08:18:34 »
I hope everyone is well and enjoying their holidays! :) I am alive!!!!  :p Unfortunately the great firewall blocked all Google services. How frustrating! :mad: Hope everything is well with my HHKB.

Offline Moralless

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 08:25:09 »
I hope everyone is well and enjoying their holidays! :) I am alive!!!!  :p Unfortunately the great firewall blocked all Google services. How frustrating! :mad: Hope everything is well with my HHKB.

Your HHKB looks the same as the day I picked it up!  ;D
Loving the feel of it at the moment and really want to compare your HHKB to a non dental banded one (one switch just isn't enough for me  :p) so at the moment I'm figuring out the cheapest way I could get a HHKB. And it's all because of you  :'(

Now go enjoy your time in China
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 December 2014, 08:28:38 by moralles »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 18:46:31 »

Your HHKB looks the same as the day I picked it up!  ;D
Loving the feel of it at the moment and really want to compare your HHKB to a non dental banded one (one switch just isn't enough for me  :p) so at the moment I'm figuring out the cheapest way I could get a HHKB. And it's all because of you  :'(

Now go enjoy your time in China

Secret HHKB advocates unite!

I found mine on eBay, from Qld.  Keep looking - they do turn up from time to time.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Jersern

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 02:38:24 »
Hello everyone,

The tour has concluded and my HHKB has survived (hopefully). Still haven't plugged it in................................................. Thanks to those who participated. I hope to see more keyboard tours being conducted in Australia (or at least let us participate!). If anyone still wants to try my HHKB just send me a PM and we can arrange things.

Have a nice day! :)

Offline Moralless

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 03:29:43 »
Hello everyone,

The tour has concluded and my HHKB has survived (hopefully). Still haven't plugged it in................................................. Thanks to those who participated. I hope to see more keyboard tours being conducted in Australia (or at least let us participate!). If anyone still wants to try my HHKB just send me a PM and we can arrange things.

I knew I forgot something! I'll try and write up my thoughts on topre tonight and post it sometime tomorrow morning. My own HHKB just arrived last Friday :D

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 05:18:21 »
Hello everyone,

I knew I forgot something! I'll try and write up my thoughts on topre tonight and post it sometime tomorrow morning. My own HHKB just arrived last Friday :D

May we conclude that you liked Topre? :D

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline Moralless

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 05:27:13 »
Hello everyone,

Nope. I love topre :p

IMO topre switches is one of my favorite switch (my 2nd favorite being 68g clears). I'll expand why on my later post when I review the various topre switches I've tried (stock, lubed only, lubed + dental band mod) in this thread.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 05:31:30 »
Hello everyone,

Nope. I love topre :p

IMO topre switches is one of my favorite switch (my 2nd favorite being 68g clears). I'll expand why on my later post when I review the various topre switches I've tried (stock, lubed only, lubed + dental band mod) in this thread.

I'm looking forward to read it!

Offline Moralless

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 23:59:03 »
Alrighty! Here we go...

First off, I'd like to thank Jersern for doing this tour, as without this tour I probably wouldn't even invest $300 to try topre switches out and even bother with going through the hassle of having to sell the board if topres weren't for me. Also my whole experience with topre is solely based on my usage with the HHKB, please keep in mind that other topre boards such as the Leopold FC660C and the Realforces can provide different experiences.

To get some context on my experience with mechanical keyboards, I started getting into this around June last year, the first board that I got was the Corsair K65 with Cherry MX red switches. After that I sought to build myself a custom 60% keyboard as I felt that the layout of most 60% keyboards were not for me (this mainly included the Poker 2 and other variants of it such as the V60 KB Paradise or the Leopold FC660M). The board that I built (which I call the DM60) first started off having stock cherry MX clears, then lubed cherry MX clears, I then modified it to 68g lubed cherry MX clears, and switched the stems to have 68g lubed cherry MX blacks and finally went back again to 68g lubed Cherry MX clears.
So in saying that, going into  this tour I thought that topres wouldn't be for me as I felt that cherry red switches were faaar too light and the fact that are both measured to be the same weighting made be doubtful that I would enjoy typing on them. However, like with most things, I was wrong, so so wrong about topre switches. These are without a doubt my FAVORITE switch that I have tried (68g clears comes 2nd and 68g blacks are 3rd). Unlike cherry reds the majority of the force required to actuate a topre switch is at the beginning of the keypress this creates a tactile feedback (that is more noticeable than browns but less so than clears) at the beginning and allows for a smooth glide down all the way until you land gently onto the plastic plate of the HHKB due to the rubber dome collapsing into itself and in return, reducing the amount of force required to push it down. In comparison to reds, actuating them requires more of a constant applied force all the way down and provides no tactile feedback. This lack of tactility made typing with reds really annoying as I would constantly have typos and the complete linear of the feel was something I could not get used to in the few months I used it. Gaming wise, I had no preference on either reds or topre as the games I typically play (MMOs, MOBAs) don't really require me spamming a single key so I found gaming on either of them pretty much equally enjoyable.

Stock vs. lubed vs. lubed + dental band mod
Jersern's HHKB, when it arrived, had already been lubed and the dental band mod installed. Although I enjoyed typing on it, it didn't feel as nice to me as a non dental banded one, as to my knowledge they reduce the distance the sliders go up, similar to how o-rings work with cherry keys. When I received my stock, unmodded HHKB I found the semi-high pitch clack on the upstroke pretty annoying. However after lubing it up with some of the spare thin lube I had left over which I bought from CtrlAlt, that was the moment I felt that topre switches were perfect for me. The main difference between lubed HHKBs and lubed + dental band modded HHKBs is that the lubed HHKBs maintain the tactility of the switch where as the ones with the dental band mod did not and left it a more linear switch. I believe this is due to the thickness of the dental bands as they prevent the domes to go back up to their natural position and actually be lower which would make it not require as much force for the rubber dome to collapse into itself as it is already somewhat depressed. Also much to my surprise, my lubed HHKB sounded very similar to Jersern's dental band modded HHKB in both the downstroke and upstroke. The biggest difference in sound for me was in the spacebar, as mine still had a higher pitched clack (but not as high as a stock hhkb) whereas Jersern's one was consistent all across the board. Maybe it was because of me with my poor lubing, but everywhere else on the board sounded pretty much exact to Jersern's dental band modded HHKB.

So that's all my thoughts on topre so far, I'd like to thank Jersern again for doing this tour and if anyone in Australia is curious about trying topre but don't feel like shelling the cash out I highly suggest talking to him :thumb:

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 00:07:31 »
nice write up moralles....i have to admit, while I was over in sydney in december last year I tried out Jersern's hhkb in person, and it has left quite an impression on me... I like the smoothness of the topre switch.
the only thing stopping me from getting one is the local price...but since i'm going to tokyo in a few weeks, i'm very tempted to purchase one....
with regards to the sound, does the stock hhkb sound something like an mx switch with pbt caps? cos if it is, then i'm definitely in for one.....
ALi

Offline Moralless

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 00:26:36 »
nice write up moralles....i have to admit, while I was over in sydney in december last year I tried out Jersern's hhkb in person, and it has left quite an impression on me... I like the smoothness of the topre switch.
the only thing stopping me from getting one is the local price...but since i'm going to tokyo in a few weeks, i'm very tempted to purchase one....
with regards to the sound, does the stock hhkb sound something like an mx switch with pbt caps? cos if it is, then i'm definitely in for one.....

I have personally never used PBT keycaps on cherry mx keys so I don't know what to tell you there but I personally find the topre thock a lot more satisfying to hear then any of the cherry mx keys(which are mostly based off youtube videos).

Also my mate went over to Japan for new years and he went to akihabara in Tokyo and said he saw a few HHKBs for sale there for only around 200,000 yen (roughly $200 AUD) which is insanely cheap since if you're planning to buy one from online then you're looking at a minimum of ~$260 aud to get one. So I would highly recommend getting one while you're over there. Besides even if you end up realizing you don't like your HHKB you could probably sell it for more than you bought it here in Australia since you would've gotten it for so cheap.

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 01:56:47 »

I have personally never used PBT keycaps on cherry mx keys so I don't know what to tell you there but I personally find the topre thock a lot more satisfying to hear then any of the cherry mx keys(which are mostly based off youtube videos).

Also my mate went over to Japan for new years and he went to akihabara in Tokyo and said he saw a few HHKBs for sale there for only around 200,000 yen (roughly $200 AUD) which is insanely cheap since if you're planning to buy one from online then you're looking at a minimum of ~$260 aud to get one. So I would highly recommend getting one while you're over there. Besides even if you end up realizing you don't like your HHKB you could probably sell it for more than you bought it here in Australia since you would've gotten it for so cheap.

Well, from my personal experience, PBT caps give a nicer, deeper and generally more satisfying sound on bottoming out compared to ABS caps.
With regards to price, with the current rates, I'm looking at half the price to buy it over there than if I were to buy it locally. I do think I'd like it though... I blame Jersern for this. He's been pestering me to get a HHKB for a few months now...lol....and with the prices i'm looking at....from Yodobashi Camera's online store, it seem very reasonable.
ALi

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 05:07:00 »

I haven't tried Topre already but I'm waiting on my Novatouch to arrive. I'm typing this on a Poker II w/ Black and PBT caps. When I bottom out the sound of the PBT caps reminds me of the videos of the "thock" Topre sound that I saw. I'll be able to tell you more once I'll try Topre.

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 05:59:05 »

I haven't tried Topre already but I'm waiting on my Novatouch to arrive. I'm typing this on a Poker II w/ Black and PBT caps. When I bottom out the sound of the PBT caps reminds me of the videos of the "thock" Topre sound that I saw. I'll be able to tell you more once I'll try Topre.
Looking forward to it.Hopefully you receive your topre before the 7th of Feb since that's when i fly....
ALi

Offline Moralless

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 06:08:31 »

Well, from my personal experience, PBT caps give a nicer, deeper and generally more satisfying sound on bottoming out compared to ABS caps.
With regards to price, with the current rates, I'm looking at half the price to buy it over there than if I were to buy it locally. I do think I'd like it though... I blame Jersern for this. He's been pestering me to get a HHKB for a few months now...lol....and with the prices i'm looking at....from Yodobashi Camera's online store, it seem very reasonable.

Those are crazy good prices, I'd be really tempted not to get one :p

I blame Jersern for my HHKB as well but forgive him since it's awesome :)) do you live near him aswell?

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 06:21:40 »

I blame Jersern for my HHKB as well but forgive him since it's awesome :)) do you live near him aswell?
they are crazy good prices and the reason why i'm scared for my wallet and bank account while i'm in tokyo.
i live about 8 hours away...in singapore...lol
i was on holiday in sydney at that time and since the tour wasn't officially commenced I asked if i could pop on over to test a few of his keyboards and he was nice enough to let me visit....
he has a great selection of keyboards i must say. very envious of what he has....
when i get a chance, i'll try out the boards akihabara has to offer and i'll take lots of pics for you guys.
hoping that i'll love the stock HHKBs cos i really cannot afford to be spending money like i just won the lottery
ALi

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 06:24:42 »

Looking forward to it.Hopefully you receive your topre before the 7th of Feb since that's when i fly....

I hope I'll get it soon as well! It has been shipped last friday so it should arrive this week or the next one as it comes from Germany. I'll have to put the PBT set I have on the Poker on the new board because my other PBT set is being shipped from Korea so it may take longer than the Novatouch to arrive.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 06:27:32 »

they are crazy good prices and the reason why i'm scared for my wallet and bank account while i'm in tokyo.
i live about 8 hours away...in singapore...lol
i was on holiday in sydney at that time and since the tour wasn't officially commenced I asked if i could pop on over to test a few of his keyboards and he was nice enough to let me visit....
he has a great selection of keyboards i must say. very envious of what he has....
when i get a chance, i'll try out the boards akihabara has to offer and i'll take lots of pics for you guys.
hoping that i'll love the stock HHKBs cos i really cannot afford to be spending money like i just won the lottery

Are you referring to modding them when you talk about not liking the stock one? If that's so modding won't cost you so much money I think. It is going to be time-consuming however!

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 06:27:43 »

I hope I'll get it soon as well! It has been shipped last friday so it should arrive this week or the next one as it comes from Germany. I'll have to put the PBT set I have on the Poker on the new board because my other PBT set is being shipped from Korea so it may take longer than the Novatouch to arrive.

exciting times.....if only the topre sets had more choices in terms of keycaps like the mx.....but if it comes stock with pbt, which i think the hhkb does..then i have no complaints
well, anything i spend on would be too much money i suppose....
i only had my filco for about a month and now i'm thinking of getting a topre and selling this one off...
thing is, the market here is too small and it's hard to sell things. and shipping may not exactly be the best for the price of the item....
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 January 2015, 06:30:11 by cephelix »
ALi

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 06:38:11 »

exciting times.....if only the topre sets had more choices in terms of keycaps like the mx.....but if it comes stock with pbt, which i think the hhkb does..then i have no complaints

IIRC the HHKB comes with PBT key caps. I love the two tones grey set! That's why I went for the Novatouch. It is cheaper and you have a wide choice of keycaps to choose from. Even if some say that it is not the true Topre experience I think it can be achieved once you the right keycaps set on it and with maybe a bit of modding. It is the perfect excuses for me to start modding some keyboards.  :thumb:

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 06:43:06 »
any pics of the 2-tone grey set? I don't know about the prices in your neck of the woods, but the novatouch here costs more than my filco.....
which put me off right away...but i suppose the ability to use cherry caps is a plus point
ALi

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 06:48:56 »
http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/happy-hacking-keyboard-pro-jp-t2541.html

Here you go! This is the japanese version but you see the set I am talking about. I got my Novatouch for 145€ w/o shipping fees. It is 180€ NIB atm but I just noticed something that I didn't before. I might have bought a prototype version and it kind of annoys me a bit. I'll check to see if that's the case or not.

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 07:27:58 »
that looks nice!..somehow i am unable to find just the caps in that colour with a black body...
ALi

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 07:37:33 »
Got my HHKB 2 days ago and can't let it go! After two years of MX switches, this is a welcome typing feel with Topre and the shorcuts and layout of the HHKB feel so "right". I can't explain it but the Control placement is godly and the Delete/Backspace is so good. I had to modify the DIP cuz  default function of the Delete/Backspace because it was set to 'delete'. Other than that, the typing experience is so nice. Better than any MX switches.
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 07:40:13 »
that looks nice!..somehow i am unable to find just the caps in that colour with a black body...

No I think it only exists for the white version. But maybe you could try modding the color of your case once you'll feel up to it. I've seen post about people painting their cases using paint cans. I don't know if it gives a good result but as far as I could tell by watching the pictures it did have a nice effect. Maybe that's a lead you could dig if you wish to change the color of your case.

Trading with someone's that has a black version could be another way to get a black case too!

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 07:57:22 »
you guys are seriously wallethacking me....lol

meh, not really into painting anything really. if i do and that isn't really a big if, get one...i'll be more than happy with the black on black one actually.....
ALi

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 12:18:28 »

meh, not really into painting anything really. if i do and that isn't really a big if, get one...i'll be more than happy with the black on black one actually.....

I didn't say that you should buy the white version with the 2 tones grey set. I just said that I like it. It is your keyboard you do w/e pleases you in that regard.  :p

Offline Jersern

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 14:34:23 »
Excellent review /comparison Morales! I will be converting mine to normal topre or I might all mine and get a new one...

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 19:27:36 »

I didn't say that you should buy the white version with the 2 tones grey set. I just said that I like it. It is your keyboard you do w/e pleases you in that regard.  :p
i know i know.... :-*
lol....definitely getting more excited to try out the unmodded hhkb now
ALi

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 05:49:39 »

I didn't say that you should buy the white version with the 2 tones grey set. I just said that I like it. It is your keyboard you do w/e pleases you in that regard. 
i know i know.... :-*
lol....definitely getting more excited to try out the unmodded hhkb now
Yeah I must admit I'd like to try one as well but there are no tour in Europe AFAIK.