Author Topic: [AUS] HHKB Try before you buy!  (Read 13041 times)

Offline Jersern

• Australian Keyboard Modding and Repair Service
[AUS] HHKB Try before you buy!
« on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 14:41:44 »
This HHKB tour is open to permanent residents and citizens of Australia only! Sorry everyone else! :(

I have a rubber band modded HHKB with blank keycaps and I feel like it is far too hard to try Topre keyboards in Australia. To try alleviate that problem, I am offering my HHKB up for a small tour of Australia! Let it see the nation! :D

Note: If I have time, I will remove the rubber band mod on the ESC key so you can have a comparison with a "normal" Topre keyboard.

I will include a get started pack to make it easier to use.

Simple Rules
If you wish to participate, you must follow and agree to these rules!
  • As stated above you must be a permanent resident or citizen of Australia. This is to make following up on people easier.
  • You must be willing to supply a residential address, name, email, valid mobile number and something else we can use to identify you if anything goes wrong (photo of your drivers licence).
  • You must be willing to ship the keyboard to the next person using an express postage service with tracking (i.e. couriers or AusPost Express). You will have to provide the tracking number to me as well as whoever you are posting the board to next along with the website of the courier company.
  • You must only hang onto the board for a max of 7 days and if you cannot ship it to the next person within the 7 days, you must get in contact with them and me and arrange an extension of a maximum of 3 days.
  • You must not kill or damage my keyboard! (you'll have to cough up a brand new keyboard if you do...........) If you do accidentally damage my keyboard, you must report to me the damage and you'll have to pay a hefty compensation fee depending on the damage. If it's something very minor, still tell me and we can go from there.
  • Don't open up my keyboard or tamper with it or lose screws or anything along those lines please! This should go without saying but I am putting this out there just in case as suggested by Steve.V I will tamper evidence seal my keyboard just to make sure.

As stated above, please don't damage or break my keyboard. It will be painful for both myself and you!  :(

There will be a cut off for how many people can participate. At this stage I am thinking of about 10 or 15 people at most. If this round 1 works out without any problems, I can try arrange a round 2. There is also a min number of people for this to happen. Currently I am thinking we need at least 3-5 people. Also, there is a cut off date. You must apply before 31/12/2014.

You will also have to send a photo of your drivers license or government issued identification (i.e. passport if you don't have a drivers license) once you are confirmed by me. This is mainly as a security layer to prevent theft and for the sake of liability of any damages.

Everyone may have to pitch in something between 1-4 dollars depending on how many people apply to cover the cost of me shipping this keyboard out to the first person! If the first person however lives very close to me (Lower North Shore, Sydney), this payment can be mitigated.

Application form
To apply please complete this form. Completing this form means you agree with the rules laid out above.
http://goo.gl/forms/foLgusCO0Q

Once you submitted your form, I will get intouch with you shortly.

People Participating
This is a list of people who has confirmed their address with me after applying to be part of this tour!
  • Moralles(@Geekhack)
  • Akaisdhh(@Reddit)
  • Cephelix(@Geekhack)
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 February 2015, 04:12:53 by Jersern »

Offline mr626

Re: [AUS] HHKB Try before you buy!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 16:04:08 »
I'm slightly tempted by this, but blank keycaps puts me off. Since the layout is different to what I'm used to, I feel like I'd need marked keycaps to be able to get used to things.

Also, not sure what you mean by 'rubber-band mod' ? If I was someone interested in trying a HHKB before buying, I'd probably prefer to try an unmodified one (to be a true representation of what I would get if I personally purchased one).

I'm sure others will take you up on your generous offer though :-) Very thoughtful.

Offline feizor

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 17:11:17 »
Good thing you're doing mate!

Offline Jersern

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 17:23:34 »
I'm slightly tempted by this, but blank keycaps puts me off. Since the layout is different to what I'm used to, I feel like I'd need marked keycaps to be able to get used to things.

Also, not sure what you mean by 'rubber-band mod' ? If I was someone interested in trying a HHKB before buying, I'd probably prefer to try an unmodified one (to be a true representation of what I would get if I personally purchased one).

I'm sure others will take you up on your generous offer though :-) Very thoughtful.

I personally like the blank keycaps and I am not going to buy a 70 dollar leycap set for this :p to be honest, at first the blanks put me off, but it has helped improve my touchtyping by forcing me to know where keys are. I am including a diagram of the keys with the keyboard to make it easier to use so even if you can't abandon your marked keycaps, you can still give it a go!

The rubber (dental) band mod makes the keyboard more quiet (imagine orings) so my keyboard is basically the same as the HHKB-S. I didn't mod this keyboard, I bought it as is from someone else. I am going to remove the rubber band mod on the ESC key so one could have a comparison.

Other than that, there's no way in going to remove it from the whole keyboard as the process is rather time consuming.

Good thing you're doing mate!
Thanks! :) I felt us Aussies got way too left out in the world of mech KBs.

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 17:30:48 »
Very nice of you to do such a thing...if only i qualified i wouldnt mind being the first person to take the keyboard from you when i go over.hope things turn out well.
ALi
Filco MJ2 TKL MX Browns | KC60 Gateron Browns

Offline Jersern

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 17:33:56 »
Very nice of you to do such a thing...if only i qualified i wouldnt mind being the first person to take the keyboard from you when i go over.hope things turn out well.

I guess you can qualify :p I'll make an exception. As long as you follow the rules, and mail it out to the next person, it will work out fine and if you pick up, we won't have to do the initial dollar or two! :)

Why don't you submit a form and we can discuss via email any details that need to be worked out.

Important Note
I will be on holidays from the 26th of December till the 5th of January so I will be unreachable during that 11 day period.

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 17:43:51 »
Sure! I'll have to discuss with another person first.i'll be there on friday though..
ALi

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 17:47:16 »
I'm not an AUS resident, but GL with your tour! Tours are the best way to learn about new switches/keyboards.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Jersern

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 17:50:13 »
I'm not an AUS resident, but GL with your tour! Tours are the best way to learn about new switches/keyboards.

Very true! Thanks! :)

Offline mr626

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 17:55:23 »
Just to clarify, I too think its a great thing that you are doing. Just wanted to mention my reasons for opting-out :-)

Obviously I don't expect you to buy a set of marked keycaps etc just to make people like me happy  ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 December 2014, 18:08:14 by mr626 »

Offline Jersern

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 23:54:16 »
Just to clarify, I too think its a great thing that you are doing. Just wanted to mention my reasons for opting-out :-)

Obviously I don't expect you to buy a set of marked keycaps etc just to make people like me happy  ;)

Someone offered to trade my blanks for printed caps! :P Unfortunately I personally prefer blanks and shipping from here to the US is too much to be worth it.

Offline Jersern

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 00:00:26 »
Time for a double post!  :D

2 People have been confirmed to be participating with address confirmed with me!  :D

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 00:19:29 »
Time for a double post!  :D

2 People have been confirmed to be participating with address confirmed with me!  :D

WOOHOO!seems like it's off to a good start....
ALi

Offline Jersern

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 00:25:39 »
WOOHOO!seems like it's off to a good start....

Certainly a great start! :)

Offline mr626

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 00:45:09 »
Nice work Jersern, it's very good of you to do this. I think the HHKB in particular isn't that common in Aus (do any local shops even stock it?)

Offline Quackles

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 00:58:55 »
Good luck with this Jersern! I got my new one recently. I'll show you later and you can give it a go without the bands too.

Nice work Jersern, it's very good of you to do this. I think the HHKB in particular isn't that common in Aus (do any local shops even stock it?)

Don't think any local shops have it. Have to buy from US or through Amazon Japan via Tenso like I did.

Offline Jersern

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 01:18:50 »
do any local shops even stock it?

Nope! The best place to buy it is from Japanese stores right now as the Yen is weak against the AUD. I got mine used (but in pristine basically unused condition) from someone. If you want a Realforce or Leopold Topre board, you can go to mechkb.com. I have been to their physical store and talked to the guys there. They seem very nice and the customer service I got when I made some enquiries was very good. (They are out of stock on the Leopold F600C at the moment and they don't have an ETA on when it will  be back in stock and they don't carry HHKBs.)

Good luck with this Jersern! I got my new one recently. I'll show you later and you can give it a go without the bands too.

An excellent choice!  :) Can't go wrong with a HHKB. I will be so kind as to crack my HHKB open and remove the rubber band mod from the ESC key so everyone who tries it can have an idea of the effects of the silencing. :) Personally I like the silencing as it mutes the pop but still retains the feel. It's not like o-rings where they just destroy the keyboard (well that's in my opinion anyway).

What colour is your keyboard? I personally like the black but the white keyboard goes nicer with my white desk though I was thinking of painting my HHKB case and dyeing the keycaps after it returns to me to give it a truly one of a kind look.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 December 2014, 01:25:08 by Jersern »

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 01:36:18 »
I think a satin puple case would be a very nice contrast with white keycaps n white desk.but that's just me.in sort of a purple phase now
ALi

Offline Jersern

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 01:43:24 »
True! Purple is a lovely colour. :P

Oh and I got myself a profile image! :O Such a shame the resolution was nerfed to oblivion :(

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 02:12:50 »
looking good! if only i could be bothered with making myself one....
ALi

Offline Jersern

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 02:37:54 »
Took me 2 minutes lol  :thumb:

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 02:52:04 »
Could you spare another 2 and whip me up one? Lol
ALi

Offline Jersern

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 02:56:02 »
Lol sure when I am done with designing my presentation for history tomorrow lol.

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 03:37:04 »
School? Dont need school..lol..just kidding good luck man
ALi

Offline Jersern

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 14:17:16 »
Haha thanks  :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 15:35:51 »
An excellent idea - about time we had a keyboard tour down here.

Although I already have and enjoy using an HHKB (albeit not silenced).

If this gets off the ground (seems likely) then once the first tour is finished, the word will get around and people will start asking when the next one is.

And it will probably just grow from there1
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 15:48:29 »

If this gets off the ground (seems likely) then once the first tour is finished, the word will get around and people will start asking when the next one is.

And Jersern will have all his boards on tour all over australia! ;D
ALi

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 15:51:30 »

And Jersern will have all his boards on tour all over australia! ;D

One at a time! :eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 15:55:09 »
Hahaha.that makes more sense...
ALi

Offline Jersern

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 17:47:54 »
I might even offer up my model m (when it arrives from the us) if people are willing to ship the behemoth!  :p

None the less I'd still like to use my HHKB here and there :p

Offline Jersern

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 01:01:53 »
I am yet to remove the dental band mod on the ESC key (haven't had much time) from my HHKB but I promise I will remove it sometime this week!  :thumb:

Offline steve.v

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 03:24:10 »
Sounds fun. I would add to your requirements if you haven't done so; the keyboard can't be tampered/modified.

Offline Jersern

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 03:54:51 »
That should go without saying! I will put a tamper seal or two on it to make sure that's the case.  :)

Edit: Added to T&C of this tour! (Thanks for the suggestion. I kinda brushed it off since I thought this would be super obvious.)
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 December 2014, 03:58:29 by Jersern »

Offline Jersern

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 04:08:04 »
Any suggestions on what I could include in the getting started package?

Currently I have:
  • Diagram of keyboard's function layer and key layouts
  • The original documentation so if you want to have a read, go ahead (warning, it's in Jap)
  • A welcome letter of sorts from me with some rules, instructions and other bits and pieces

Is there any glaringly obvious thing I should include that I have forgotten to?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 19:15:55 »
English translation or diagram of the DIP switches.

Offline Jersern

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 22:42:03 »
It's on the back of the keyboard.  :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 23:11:13 »
It's on the back of the keyboard.  :)

It is?  I haven't looked for so long I must have forgotten :))

Offline Jersern

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 00:11:41 »
I'm pretty sure there's one haha

Offline Jersern

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 22:08:01 »
Just an update: I have removed the rubber band from the ESC key. Much pop. Anyway if I don't reply much or as quickly on Monday through to Wednesday, it's because I have far too many school commitments!  :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 December 2014, 16:26:57 by Jersern »

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 22:31:37 »
That's nice of you to do such a tour, even though I won't be able to take part in it.

When I'll have something interesting to tour, I'll try to do one in Europe!

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline Jersern

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 00:29:04 »
I would allow people out of Australia join this tour but shipping to and from Australia internationally is very expensive.

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 02:18:35 »
I can attest to that.....and i ship stuff from singapore...all the best for the tour!! Cant wait to try your boards
ALi

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 10:06:46 »
This is so cool.

That's nice of you to do such a tour, even though I won't be able to take part in it.

Do it  :thumb:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 10:43:32 »
This is a great opportunity for the Australians friends to try this niche keyboard. Kudos for the OP.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 13:05:36 »
This is so cool.

Do it  :thumb:
I don't have anything special for now, only 60% w/ MX Blues and Full w/ MX Brown. Most people won't be interested in trying that. Especially when you target active members.

Offline Jersern

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 16:24:48 »
This is a great opportunity for the Australians friends to try this niche keyboard. Kudos for the OP.

Thanks!  :) It's way too expensive to get one here and I haven't seen anywhere stock these here so you have to buy these blind :(

You should run one once you get something cool  :thumb: interesting to see how many people haven't tried a 60%...

Offline Jersern

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 16:30:04 »
I am going to make a quick revision of the cut off date. I am changing it to the 24th of December. I will revise this and some other things  on my OP.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 16:32:34 »

Thanks!  :) It's way too expensive to get one here and I haven't seen anywhere stock these here so you have to buy these blind :(

You should run one once you get something cool  :thumb: interesting to see how many people haven't tried a 60%...
Yeah that could be something to try. I'm going to buy a Novatouch soon so if I like Topre I'll get an HHKB or a Leopold. If I do so I might tour my Poker II. I'll have to make an interest check to see if people would be interested for it.

Offline Jersern

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 16:57:14 »
I am interested in a Novatouch but my TKL spot is going to be occupied by a Phantom with Ergo clears... Though my Phantom can't be built since I lack a plate. What a pity.

Offline Jersern

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 20:22:25 »
Time to kick start the tour! The first person will be picking up the board later today  :) I decided to start this early so I can have my board back as soon as I get back from my holiday!  ;) If you still wish to participate, don't worry, you can still join if you can confirm your identity and everything by Thursday (25/12/2014).