Author Topic: Switch stem came off removing keycap, does not work after replacing, help!!  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Dakine234

• Live, Love, ALOHA
Aloha,
I have a poker 2 with mx clears and when removing a keycap, the stem came out with the keycap ("S" key).  After googling, i saw that you simply needed to desoler the switch, remove the top, place the stem back on the spring, close the switch back and resolder and it should be good as new.  Unfortunately I do not know how to solder or have the materials, so my friend offered to do it for me.  He removed the "S" key's switch and repaired the switch and resoldered it, however the switch would not work (actuates fine and feels normal, however theres no feedback to the board).  He then unsoldered a working "windows" key that i dont use often and swapped it with apparently nonworking "S" key and resoldered it and now both keys do not work.  Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this or if the keyboard as a whole broken or is there a way or someone I can contact to get this fixed?  Any help or advice is greatly appreciated
Mahalo!
Poker II mx blues + Custom Poker X with mx clears, blues and old blacks

Offline Jersern

• Australian Keyboard Modding and Repair Service
Re: Switch stem came off removing keycap, does not work after replacing, help!!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 01:44:39 »
I am sure he didn't solder it on properly. Try reflowing the joints. (well get your friend to heat up the joints till it melts).

Offline Dakine234

• Live, Love, ALOHA
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 01:55:49 »
I am sure he didn't solder it on properly. Try reflowing the joints. (well get your friend to heat up the joints till it melts).
Thanks for the quick reply, just to clarify, when you say the joints, do you mean the 2 metal points that are on the bottom of the switch that pass through he board and are connected via solder?

Offline Dakine234

• Live, Love, ALOHA
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 02:53:23 »
**Additional detail, I just talked to my friend and he said that after he switched the switches, the "S" key was working normally.  If that's the case, would unsoldering and resoldering like Jersen advised make a difference, or is that the best bet?  Unsolder, heat the joints up until it melts then resolder?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 07:33:33 »
I suspect the metal leaf in the original switch got damaged. In that case you need to buy a new switch and replace the old one (desolder the old one and solder the new one in it's place). Or the soldering was done poorly as Jersern mentioned.

If the "S" now works and you don't need the Win key, then just use the board as it is now.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Dakine234

• Live, Love, ALOHA
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 12:53:01 »
I suspect the metal leaf in the original switch got damaged. In that case you need to buy a new switch and replace the old one (desolder the old one and solder the new one in it's place). Or the soldering was done poorly as Jersern mentioned.

If the "S" now works and you don't need the Win key, then just use the board as it is now.
Thanks for your response, I suspected that might be the case, so switching it with a working key should have been a fix however it has not worked thus far.  Im starting to lean towards thinking its likely the solder. 

**On a side note, if anyone here would be willing and/or is comfortable, would you mind me sending my board to you and I could pay/compensate you for taking a look and resoldering the two switches?**

Offline Jersern

• Australian Keyboard Modding and Repair Service
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 14:14:45 »
I do keyboard repairs but as I live in Sydney Australia, shipping costs might get a bit out of hand.

Offline Dakine234

• Live, Love, ALOHA
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 21:48:44 »
I do keyboard repairs but as I live in Sydney Australia, shipping costs might get a bit out of hand.
Thanks for the offer, but I think i'm going to sell it for parts/as is on the forum noting the issue/condition its in and hopefully someone can pick it up for a good price and fix it themselves, and pick up a Poker X, think thats more my speed.  Thanks for the help though, if you know anyone who might be interested in the poker before i post it let me know.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 21:52:48 »
Thanks for the offer, but I think i'm going to sell it for parts/as is on the forum noting the issue/condition its in and hopefully someone can pick it up for a good price and fix it themselves, and pick up a Poker X, think thats more my speed.  Thanks for the help though, if you know anyone who might be interested in the poker before i post it let me know.

I might be interested in it, of course it depends on your price. 

Offline Dakine234

• Live, Love, ALOHA
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 22:05:42 »

I might be interested in it, of course it depends on your price.
Incoming PM