Author Topic: How to convince someone of mechanical switches?  (Read 8971 times)

Offline Shuki

How to convince someone of mechanical switches?
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 07 August 2009, 01:35:22 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;107172
My better monitor is a 16" Trinitron but it can only handle 1024x768 @ 50-60Hz. But it was made in 1996 and it definitely looks very good for something that old (it has little convex to its screen).

It's definitely better than my other monitor, a 1993 DEC monitor with a VERY comvex screen designed for 800x600 and 640x480 @ 50-60Hz.

There's a disadvantage to large high-end CRT's on the other hand. Considering that my 13" from 1993 weighs 40 pounds, a 22"must weigh a ton.

My 19" weighs 24kg whatever that is in lbs I dunno :/

It has a diamondtron capable of doing 160hz @ r_mode 4 not that I ever go high than 120hz though.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 07 August 2009, 03:17:06 »
Quote from: Shuki;107819
My 19" weighs 24kg whatever that is in lbs I dunno :/
A good 52 lbs. Apparently 1 lb = 0.45359... kg.

My 6 kg monitor was heavy enough when mounting it onto the arm.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 07 August 2009, 08:57:08 »
Quote from: timw4mail;107675
Radius monitors?

This is a particularly old one: http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/387

They were generally marketed to Mac users, but they could be used on just about anything.  They were unique in that they had a mount that allowed the entire monitor to be rotated into portait mode.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 15 August 2009, 13:12:27 »
Of course neither Topre nor Filco (which have to be bought from Japan!) are for everyone. Even Unicomp is for the serious aficionado.

But I've noticed that even the lowest-priced Microsoft keyboards - available in larger office supply stores - feel as though they've got mechanical switches in them. So getting good tactile feel from a keyboard doesn't demand a lot from people these days.

Offline skriefal

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 15 August 2009, 13:29:37 »
You must be encountering different Microsoft keyboards than I encounter. :smile:

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 15 August 2009, 14:52:21 »
Quote from: quadibloc;109879
Of course neither Topre nor Filco (which have to be bought from Japan!) are for everyone. Even Unicomp is for the serious aficionado.

But I've noticed that even the lowest-priced Microsoft keyboards - available in larger office supply stores - feel as though they've got mechanical switches in them. So getting good tactile feel from a keyboard doesn't demand a lot from people these days.

I've never seen a Microsoft keyboard with mechanical switches.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 15 August 2009, 16:09:34 »
Quote from: ch_123;107607
Ah, degaussing. Always a fun thing to do, especially in computer labs where doing it would affect the screens to either side of you, causing people to wonder wtf was going on with their computer...

I always did that in the school computer lab and it would drive the librarian crazy and she got mad at me for "breaking the computer" (not that box underneath it with the keyboard and mouse attached to it).
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 15 August 2009, 21:20:20 »
Quote from: quadibloc;109879

Hello fellow Canadian!

I would consider anyone who is willing to spend a fair amount of money to buy a good mechanical (or capacitive switches) keyboard when his or her PC comes with one to be a serious aficionado. I mean that person could realised that the one he or she received with the PC is not good enough and that there are better keyboards out there.