Author Topic: is it worth it to learn how to type properly?  (Read 8328 times)

Offline Shyfe

is it worth it to learn how to type properly?
« on: Fri, 31 July 2009, 10:50:15 »
i type with 3 fingers on my left hand and 2 fingers on my right hand i can maintain around 150 WPM. i use right ring finger primarily for backspace, right pinky for enter, and left pinky for shift. do you suppose i would type even faster if i learned how to type using 4 fingers on each hand?

HHKB (55g) | IBM SSK | Realforce 87U (55g) | Unicomp EnduraPro | KBT Oni

Offline Shyfe

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 31 July 2009, 10:57:29 »
i think she can maintain it for like 40 minutes with 100% accuracy there is no way i could that, i don't think.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 31 July 2009, 10:58:27 »
I would think so, but at 150 WPM, you type faster than just about any person on Earth.  I improved my typing speed immensely after learning how to type properly, but I still don't think I type any faster than about 75 WPM.  I make a lot of mistakes, too.

Offline Shyfe

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 31 July 2009, 11:06:07 »
agh, i'm trying to type using 4 fingers on each hand but it's so hard.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 31 July 2009, 11:27:07 »
My brother is a programmer of 7 years now. He just recently learned how to type properly, and he's glad he did. It's never too late to learn properly, but will typing faster benefit you? Ask yourself that seriously, I find whether I type fast or slow, I still get the same amount of work done, simply because I'm spending lots of time pausing in between my typing, thinking things out in my head.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 31 July 2009, 11:42:01 »
Use as many fingers as you like, as long as you're touch-typing. I find it more relaxing, it was well worth the effort to learn.

In fact I'm now using the Colemak layout, it's even more relaxing. If you have bad typing habits you want to break, learning a new layout might be a good way to go about it.

Speed isn't everything.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 31 July 2009, 11:48:10 »
Quote from: Rajagra;105849
Speed isn't everything.

D*mn.  I thought that was the whole point to learning how to type.

Offline Shyfe

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 31 July 2009, 12:04:28 »
anyone have some more advice on how to learn to use the home row keys? i find it especially awkward that it's tilted right for both the right hand and the left hand if you see what i mean.

Offline JBert

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 31 July 2009, 12:55:33 »
Quote from: Rajagra;105849
Speed isn't everything.
Sure, correctness is even more important (spares the backspace key from getting worn out).

However, the more efficient your data entry, the easier you can get your thoughts on the screen.

Quite frankly, it doesn't matter how many fingers you use. Just make sure you can keep it up without making mistakes and straining your hands. In the latter case, you might need to change your typing habits.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 31 July 2009, 13:21:51 »
Quote from: Shyfe;105860
anyone have some more advice on how to learn to use the home row keys? i find it especially awkward that it's tilted right for both the right hand and the left hand if you see what i mean.
In fact, this was discussed here quite recently. Lemme see whether I can find the thread...
Ah, here it is.

Anyway, the suggested rules are not set in stone. Humans tend to be quite flexible. If you do plan on using some typing tutors, one that includes the numbers row would be best. I don't know whether there are any covering the other keys and keyboard / mouse interaction.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 July 2009, 13:31:01 by keyb_gr »
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline qso

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 31 July 2009, 13:37:18 »
Also depends on how many hours do you type everyday.  It's obvious by using all fingers you reduce total travel distances , this is vital for long hours typing. If you are a touch typist, you wont even think of moving your fingers or trying to remember where are the keys, you just do it.

Maybe training on typingweb.com/tutor can help.

Btw i'm using middle left finger for x, ring finger for z and right index finger for b :D
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 July 2009, 13:39:53 by qso »
--------- on Filco\'s Brown Tenkeyless

Offline spremino

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 14:58:36 »
150 WPM? Wow! I would give up touch typing to be able to type that fast.

Seriously, I don't think touch typing is much about speed (of course you are expected to improve your speed by employing proper technique), but more about typing with the least effort and without distractions caused by having to look at the keyboard. I'd say that if you can type fast without ending up tired and you are not distracted by having to look at the keyboard, then touch typing is not worth learning.
A long space bar... what a waste of space!

Offline wheel83

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 15:33:00 »
its not worth it to learn touch typing for speed.  it is worth it to avoid rsi from deviation of the wrist.
I <3 BS

Offline joniho

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 16:27:37 »
Quote from: Shyfe;105860
i find it especially awkward that it's tilted right for both the right hand and the left hand if you see what i mean.

Are you talking about the top row in relation to the home row? I also wonder why the home and bottom rows are offset evenly (the center of B aligns with the space between G and H), and the top row in relation to the home row is only offset; moreover the number row is offset to the top row like the home-bottom relation.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 September 2009, 16:32:19 by joniho »

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 16:44:37 »
Quote from: Shyfe;105820
i type with 3 fingers on my left hand and 2 fingers on my right hand i can maintain around 150 WPM. i use right ring finger primarily for backspace, right pinky for enter, and left pinky for shift. do you suppose i would type even faster if i learned how to type using 4 fingers on each hand?

Ahem, so does your speed go down if you use your shift key?
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 17:09:34 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;115118
ahem, so does your speed go down if you use your shift key?

rofl
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 17:55:10 »
Quote from: wheel83;115115
its not worth it to learn touch typing for speed.  it is worth it to avoid rsi from deviation of the wrist.

Speaking of RSI, the faster you are, the greater the likelihood that you'll develop RSI as well.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 01:21:23 »
asking if it's worth learning to type on a keyboard forum?

like asking if i really need to learn to drive on a car forum

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 01:27:38 »
But everyone's a good driver. Just ask them.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 14 September 2009, 18:42:13 »
That's not true. If everyone was a good driver you could have a Yankees bumper sticker and make it out of Boston alive.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS