Author Topic: Americans who drive big daft trucks  (Read 10228 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Americans who drive big daft trucks
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 23:28:16 »
Public-mass transit? That's just crazy talk. Don't even say it out loud.

I can't imagine not having wheels. Most of my life I've owned 2 cars. (trucks, convertibles, beach mobiles)

I'm so California.

Good public mass transit is awesome.  Unfortunately, most of California doesn't have the ability to create proper mass transit for a plethora of reasons.

Offline iri

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 03:00:19 »
plot twist: you can have great public transit and wheels.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline jacobolus

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 12:19:42 »
the pick up trucks I've driven that have been imported feel like garbage to drive

even the Cadallacs (no idea how you spell it)

lol.  If Cadillac is your go-to truck comparison, I understand why you don't like trucks.  I can't imagine anyone with a Caddy truck doing "real" truck things with it...

Also, who drives a truck because it rides nice?  They're incredibly bumpy when they're empty (designed to have loads in them) and are very large and bulky.  You drive a truck to do work, not for a nice ride.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 04:31:07 »
the pick up trucks I've driven that have been imported feel like garbage to drive

even the Cadallacs (no idea how you spell it)

lol.  If Cadillac is your go-to truck comparison, I understand why you don't like trucks.  I can't imagine anyone with a Caddy truck doing "real" truck things with it...

Also, who drives a truck because it rides nice?  They're incredibly bumpy when they're empty (designed to have loads in them) and are very large and bulky.  You drive a truck to do work, not for a nice ride.

I've driven Ford trucks too.
But if you wanted a type of car like that, get a land rover. They drive well, can go off road, are well made and come in many configurations.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 05:33:32 »
But if you wanted a type of car like that, get a land rover. They drive well, can go off road, are well made and come in many configurations.

UK! UK! UK!
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 05:42:19 »
I just drove from SF to LA on I5 today, and once again observed a striking correlation between incompetent and aggressive driving and vehicles that are either (a) monstrous oversized pickup trucks or SUVs, or (b) small sporty cars with those awful blue headlights. The worst of course were oversized tank things with blue headlights.

Very few trucks, sedans, reasonable size pickup trucks (the size that were common in say 1990, but are dwarfed by the modern ones), or sporty cars with normal-colored headlights were driven anywhere nearly as badly.

I’m convinced that people driving enormous tank things and people who use those terrible blue headlights must be men with tiny penises.

Offline iri

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 05:49:45 »

UK! UK! UK!

(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 06:00:23 »
 :thumb:
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 06:18:06 »
Hahahaha that wiki picture is amazing

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 06:25:14 »
Though for real, anyone who wants to own a massive truck or 4x4 should have to take a special licence in order to be legally allowed to drive one on the roads. The number of clueless morons who have no clue how big there cars are parking meters away from the pavement half blocking the road...

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 06:31:59 »
hm bringing up land rover... so this is just a typical baldgye hating on anything american because its america posts.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 07:01:46 »
Quick! Find a reason other than a logical response to my posts to ignore my point, I hear it's all the rage :)

Though it's cute how your patriotism shines through at any slight critism. I justed Land Rover as an example but I'm sure there are others, Toyota's trucks are smaller and better rated than American ones (ones designed for the American market only).
Land Rover how ever is the brand I see used mostly farmers in the two countries I spend the most time, Italy and England.

Though FYI I don't like the UK or England too much, our people, politics and culture is pretty ****ed up, only it's not often brought up here because of how focused on the US this forum is. Hell if you want an idea of how ****ed the UK is you only have to have a look on the thread on DT about Scotish independance, ask a question about why and your called out for being some invading English twat and are sent links to political parties 'yes' websites for 'facts' and reasons for independence.
Then you think that the FBI spying **** is bad? GCHQ makes that looks like child play, hell they even managed to manipulate the press coverage so it focused on the FBI and America rather than our own MI5/6 even in UK press.

But plz I hate America and all Americans, So ignore my posts and ignore my points. I'm sure you can have zero fun in a sports car and maximum functionality in a massive American truck. :)

Offline iri

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 07:16:54 »
Though FYI I don't like the UK or England too much, our people, politics and culture is pretty ****ed up, only it's not often brought up here because of how focused on the US this forum is. Hell if you want an idea of how ****ed the UK is you only have to have a look on the thread on DT about Scotish independance, ask a question about why and your called out for being some invading English twat and are sent links to political parties 'yes' websites for 'facts' and reasons for independence.
Then you think that the FBI spying **** is bad? GCHQ makes that looks like child play, hell they even managed to manipulate the press coverage so it focused on the FBI and America rather than our own MI5/6 even in UK press.
and Wales is worst of all, right?

maximum functionality in a massive American truck. :)
more massive truck => higher capacity => more functionality.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 09:17:20 »
Q: Why does a dog lick his balls?

A: Because he can.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 09:43:19 »
Just remember... people will keep taking it further if they can.

Converting semi to personal vehicles will be all the rage... and buses will replace suv for suburban moms.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 10:13:47 »
Quick! Find a reason other than a logical response to my posts to ignore my point, I hear it's all the rage :)

Though it's cute how your patriotism shines through at any slight critism. I justed Land Rover as an example but I'm sure there are others, Toyota's trucks are smaller and better rated than American ones (ones designed for the American market only).
Land Rover how ever is the brand I see used mostly farmers in the two countries I spend the most time, Italy and England.

But plz I hate America and all Americans, So ignore my posts and ignore my points. I'm sure you can have zero fun in a sports car and maximum functionality in a massive American truck. :)

smaller? like? their tundras are just as big as any 1500 from dodge, ford or chevy. smaller would be nissan's titan.

im sure you can have fun in a sports car. that wasn't my point. people here are saying people buy trucks for the image.. as if buying a sports car isn't for the image for a majority of people also.

and yes, my "massive" truck has functionality, since i use it for work. all day. everyday.

didn't read any of the middle part so i can't comment on that.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 10:35:46 »

I want a cam to aim at the passenger seat during one of my dates. It would be called a "tittycam"
Thats where lowered cars shine though you see. You get whats called the 'coilover bounce' :)

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 12:13:29 »
A lady hit our accord while we were parked in the parking garage. She said her suv was so big she wasn't used to it. But I don't care if she has a huge suv or not. It's up to her what she wants to drive.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 12:23:06 »

Wait, are you serious about this? Because I think you have serious tin foil hat syndrome if you believe whatever you read on sensationalist twitter/tumblr/huff post/daily mail pages.

Yes a lot of people in the UK are ****ing moronic because of their political views and their social stances, but it's not like the entire country is made up of sheeple.

My name is Katushkin, and I work in a water company that puts mind control agents into the water supplies of 10 million homes.

Come on...
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 14:57:59 »

Wait, are you serious about this? Because I think you have serious tin foil hat syndrome if you believe whatever you read on sensationalist twitter/tumblr/huff post/daily mail pages.

Yes a lot of people in the UK are ****ing moronic because of their political views and their social stances, but it's not like the entire country is made up of sheeple.

My name is Katushkin, and I work in a water company that puts mind control agents into the water supplies of 10 million homes.

Come on...

What?
Your comparing the leaked info about MI5/6 having monitoring devices fitted to BT boxes when they refitted them for fiber as equal to them tapping the water supply? That's an interesting PoV.
And it's difficult to accept that the majority of people are smart, intelligent and open minded when you have to deal with the general public as part of your day to day, and when you discover the two most popular sources of news are The Sun and The Daily Mail.
You only have to look at the horrendous stuff the TV that the majority of the population watches; Strickley Come Dancing, The X Factor, Britans Got Tallent etc etc...

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 08:57:16 »

Come on...

What?
Your comparing the leaked info about MI5/6 having monitoring devices fitted to BT boxes when they refitted them for fiber as equal to them tapping the water supply? That's an interesting PoV.
And it's difficult to accept that the majority of people are smart, intelligent and open minded when you have to deal with the general public as part of your day to day, and when you discover the two most popular sources of news are The Sun and The Daily Mail.
You only have to look at the horrendous stuff the TV that the majority of the population watches; Strickley Come Dancing, The X Factor, Britans Got Tallent etc etc...

No, I was making a joke comparing you thinking BT taps everybody's internet to someone thinking the government controls their mind through chemicals introduced into the water.

When you say the general public, are you referring to working in retail? Or just walking to and from work?

You only have to look at TV shows to know what? That people like watching people sing and dance? That people like watching people in a house get closer and closer to arbitrary arguments? Don't use reality TV shows as an indicator to how society in the UK is crumbling, or people are getting more stupid, because next you will be saying how violent video games are making our children violent. It's pretty much the same thing.

The media does not affect people's behavior. It effects people opinions. It informs people. It entertains people. In the same way that people say "sorry I punched you in the face and got arrested last night bro, alcohol makes me violent." It's bull****. People behave the way they behave because that's the way they behave. They might be influenced by the people they socialise with, or their upbringing, but not by the media alone.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 09:25:37 »
I don't think the UK is crumbling or getting worse, I think it's probably better than ever. I just think that people everywhere are equally as stupid and ****ed up, I can only give first hand examples of the UK because that's where I live.