Author Topic: Americans who drive big daft trucks  (Read 10226 times)

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
Americans who drive big daft trucks
« on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 14:23:56 »
Why do you hate my little compact so? :'(

unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
Re: Americans who drive big daft trucks
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 14:29:39 »
That looks worse than when I was spun at 50 by a lorry, take it ur good and the car is a write off? What happened??

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 14:39:27 »
That looks worse than when I was spun at 50 by a lorry, take it ur good and the car is a write off? What happened??
Haha, I'm fine, thanks for asking :)

Drove into a zoo, big truck infront of us F250 maybe stops about 30meters ahead, I stop, car reverses straight into us. Quickly drives off, I was very confused, spoke with a police officer (who was very nice actually) private land so he doesn't get involved.

The woman didn't check her right mirror and didn't see us from her check somehow.

Car was a rental luckily, doesn't look too bad, managed to drive it off the road, but the passenger side doors won't open and the engine is buckled too, so might  be a write off, not too much of issue for me luckily.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 14:41:35 »
:(  Sorry you've been assaulted by a big daft truck, I promise they're not all bad though.  :)

Where were you when this happened?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 14:42:59 »
Yeah your lucky it's a rental. Pretty galling that she drove off though... Wtf

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 14:47:38 »
It was very weird actually, drove off and then came back, not exactly sure why, either flight or fight or she had something on her she shouldn't have and wanted to dump it before the rozzers rocked up maybe?

:(  Sorry you've been assaulted by a big daft truck, I promise they're not all bad though.  :)

Thanks hoff!

Currently enjoying my hols in Florida, and looking into following the ol' American tradition and sue'ing everyone and their dog :)

(I'm not :3 maybe I should)

Offline iri

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 14:59:03 »
and that's why you need dashcams, silly westerners!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 15:31:26 »
I guarantee that most Americans that drive big trucks do it to reaffirm their "manhood," rather than actually needing the truck for activities like hauling things and going off road. 
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 15:31:54 »

Dat moment you realise, Russia is... west of... America!!! Dun dun duuunnnnn!!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 15:48:23 »
It was very weird actually, drove off and then came back, not exactly sure why, either flight or fight or she had something on her she shouldn't have and wanted to dump it before the rozzers rocked up maybe?

Thanks hoff!

Currently enjoying my hols in Florida, and looking into following the ol' American tradition and sue'ing everyone and their dog :)

(I'm not :3 maybe I should)
TYM!

We are closer than we have ever been before. I am staying 1 hour from Florida. :eek:

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 15:50:53 »
 :eek: I feel so close to your right now  :-*

Shame my cars written off and I'm going home tomorrow, planning on coming back though, hopefully I can align my trip with a meet up or something  :D

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 16:07:27 »

I guarantee that most Americans that drive big trucks do it to reaffirm their "manhood," rather than actually needing the truck for activities like hauling things and going off road.

Really depends where you are. Where I'm at, people use them for hunting, camping, hauling, and towing. Not just for looks.

Offline iri

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 16:07:59 »

touche
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 17:13:57 »

I wish.  Stupid California made it pretty much illegal to have one here, probably at the behest of the police unions.  You basically can only have one as long as it only records 30 seconds before and after a "triggering event" (accident), making it pretty much useless.

Really depends where you are. Where I'm at, people use them for hunting, camping, hauling, and towing. Not just for looks.

It's definitely true here.  It's usually one of three things.  First, it's some douched out dudebro with his Monster Energy Drink or Red Bull sticker on the back window, sometimes with a Metal Mulisha or other douchey sticker on the back window.  They're all jacked up and pointless.  Occasionally they put a dirt bike in the back and go out into the desert or they go "mudding" or, ever since more 909 dudebros have moved in, they have a surfboard in the back. 

Next there's the white contractors who buy the single wheel F450 or something equally retarded, slap their company's name on the side, then never use it as a work truck outside of going to and from the work site.  Meanwhile, their Mexican employees or contractor counterparts are there telling you to drop a pallet of concrete into the bed of their F150 or old school Toyota when they should be using a much heavier duty truck...or at least that's how it was most of the time at Home Depot when I worked there.

Lastly, it's some husband and/or father wanting to keep their wife and/or daughter safe from other cars on the road...so they get them a massive oversized truck or SUV that, for some unknown reason, 90% of them never learn how to drive.   It's probably because they're so tiny that they can barely see over the steering wheel and into the mirrors.  Then when they do get in an accident, their car is fine, but they ruined someone else's day, week, month, or year, or life.  I hate the whole nanny state concept, but sometimes I wish you had to prove that you needed a bigass car like that before you could buy it.  It would make the roads safer for everyone.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 December 2014, 17:16:00 by nubbinator »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 17:39:51 »
Canadians aren't much better, poor guy was victim of a front yard hit and run a few nights ago. Big old truck, sounded like he may have dented his front end at least :)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 17:44:34 »
Car was a rental luckily, doesn't look too bad, managed to drive it off the road, but the passenger side doors won't open and the engine is buckled too, so might  be a write off, not too much of issue for me luckily.

I was gonna say, with the whole England tag :) why did you only get an itty bitty SEA car when  you were in 'Murica?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 17:48:20 »
I was gonna say, with the whole England tag :) why did you only get an itty bitty SEA car when  you were in 'Murica?
It was really cheap :) and being British I wanted decent fuel economy...

Little did I know these lucky gits are paying >40pence a litre!

I can't cope with that! Instead of cooking my food in the oven I leave the car running using the heater to cook my tea as it's cheaper

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 17:52:30 »
Trucks are SAFER to drive ... as it crushes smaller cars.

Offline iri

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 18:12:45 »
Instead of cooking my food in the oven I leave the car running using the heater to cook my tea as it's cheaper
i have a gas oven and pay £1 per month for gas.
but your method of cooking tea is too amazing to not use it!

-Ray Bradbury

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 18:16:58 »
It was really cheap :) and being British I wanted decent fuel economy...

Little did I know these lucky gits are paying >40pence a litre!

I can't cope with that! Instead of cooking my food in the oven I leave the car running using the heater to cook my tea as it's cheaper

Wait 'tea' as in dinner is spelt tea?

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 18:20:21 »
Both!

This must be where the phrase "cooking with gas" comes from! :p

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 18:30:50 »

Tru dat. And California freeway driving...I won't be in anything else.

Nubbin needs some counseling to deal with his rampant truck-hate! Damn! Sounds like he wants massive government control...are you a commie,Nub? ? ? LOLOL
I see plenty pf people they are poor drivers in tiny toy cars, not just über-cool road-dominators.

Dashcams are NOT illegal in California, but there are reasonable restrictions on placement so they aren't mounted to interfere with airbags or drivers vision.

I want a cam to aim at the passenger seat during one of my dates. It would be called a "tittycam"
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 18:37:29 »
+ ∞
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 19:01:39 »
Canadians aren't much better, poor guy was victim of a front yard hit and run a few nights ago. Big old truck, sounded like he may have dented his front end at least :)

That's why you build snowmen around bollards :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 19:09:46 »

Nubbin needs some counseling to deal with his rampant truck-hate! Damn! Sounds like he wants massive government control...are you a commie,Nub? ? ? LOLOL
I see plenty pf people they are poor drivers in tiny toy cars, not just über-cool road-dominators.

Dashcams are NOT illegal in California, but there are reasonable restrictions on placement so they aren't mounted to interfere with airbags or drivers vision.

I want a cam to aim at the passenger seat during one of my dates. It would be called a "tittycam"

I'll post the stats later, but larger cars are not safer. They tend to have a higher rate of injury or fatality than smaller cars. 

Reread what I wrote.  I said I'm anti-nanny state, just against the idiots in trucks who don't need them.  That's because too many drive like idiots and make the roads more dangerous because they're heavier and harder to see around

And dashcams are effectively illegal, not illegal.  Good luck finding one that conforms to the California guidelines of only storing 30 seconds before and after a triggering event.  By law, it cannot store more than that, making most I know of illegal.  It's VC26708 section 13.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 19:32:56 »

I see plenty pf people they are poor drivers in tiny toy cars, not just �ber-cool road-dominators.

I'll post the stats later, but larger cars are not safer. They tend to have a higher rate of injury or fatality than smaller cars. 

Reread what I wrote.  I said I'm anti-nanny state, just against the idiots in trucks who don't need them.  That's because too many drive like idiots and make the roads more dangerous because they're heavier and harder to see around

And dashcams are effectively illegal, not illegal.  Good luck finding one that conforms to the California guidelines of only storing 30 seconds before and after a triggering event.  By law, it cannot store more than that, making most I know of illegal.  It's VC26708 section 13.

Sorry nub, you DID say anti-nanny, but you can't really dictate/micro-manage what people drive unless you ARE a nanny-state.

Insurance industry stats clearly show the bigger the vehicle the greater ability to protect (lessen reportable injury) passengers.

Now as far as the 30 seconds... I read the code and it's a bit ambiguous, it initially sounds like the camera can save 30 seconds of video, but the code also states the driver can choose to select to save more to evaluate performance. VERY AMBIGUOUS and invalidates the 30 seconds if it's your CHOICE to record more, as the code states. I don't see the issue here, but I also am not familiar with the practical application of that law. The citizenry will not tolerate the restriction of not allowing video in public places where there's no expectation of privacy. That's protected by the constitution and I will die to preserve that right.

I have made a point/big deal of making videos here in California on the mean city streets when police are shaking down average looking citizens: 1) to see if the police engage me, 2) protect everyone involved, and 3) because I believe it is my absolute right (provided I'm not interfering/getting involved/etc).
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 21:29:08 »

Russia is West, East and also North of USA. It's kinda amusing when you play mind games looking at a globe where the incredible hulk spans everything with his arms. (My globe at home featured the USSR in Green.)
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline audioave10

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 21:35:25 »
I see much more danger with women driving large SUV's.  :eek:
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 22:41:35 »

I really don't think it matters too much where you are.  A large segment of the male, truck-owning population in this country has to own the vehicles, regardless of.the impact on their pocketbook, to satisfy their tough guy, cowboy image of themselves.  I have the scientific research to prove it, but I lost it in one of my cortexes.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 22:51:45 »
Sorry nub, you DID say anti-nanny, but you can't really dictate/micro-manage what people drive unless you ARE a nanny-state.

Sometimes I wish does not equal nanny state.  I did not imply that any such regulation should happen and it's contrary to my political beliefs, hence why I stated that it's a pipe dream.

Insurance industry stats clearly show the bigger the vehicle the greater ability to protect (lessen reportable injury) passengers.

Here's numbers derived from the 2012 HHTSA data (PDF warning).

Fatality rates based on car size:
  • Car: 0.324403801% of accidents
  • Light Truck:0.452860892% of accidents

Injury rate based on car size:
  • Car: 30.177515% of accidents
  • Light Truck: 28.5301% of accidents

From the report:
"Compared with passenger cars, pickup trucks, vans, large trucks, and buses, utility vehicles experienced the
highest rollover rate in fatal crashes"

Unfortunately, they don't give data on the severity of injuries, but light trucks (pickups, SUVs) are more likely to be result in a fatality than a car by a significant margin.  Also, given the fact that there are more older model cars on the road than old model SUVs and trucks, I'm sure the injury data is skewed by the presence of old model cars.

And while it relies on older data, I highly recommend you read this discussion on a scholarly article on car size and safety.

Now as far as the 30 seconds... I read the code and it's a bit ambiguous, it initially sounds like the camera can save 30 seconds of video, but the code also states the driver can choose to select to save more to evaluate performance. VERY AMBIGUOUS and invalidates the 30 seconds if it's your CHOICE to record more, as the code states. I don't see the issue here, but I also am not familiar with the practical application of that law. The citizenry will not tolerate the restriction of not allowing video in public places where there's no expectation of privacy. That's protected by the constitution and I will die to preserve that right.

While I agree with your principle, the law doesn't appear to agree with it from the analyses I've seen.  I have a huge problem with the law since it prevents people from recording interactions with police and others on the road.  It's another case of a nanny state trying to protect people and making things worse.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 23:18:40 »

I really don't think it matters too much where you are.  A large segment of the male, truck-owning population in this country has to own the vehicles, regardless of.the impact on their pocketbook, to satisfy their tough guy, cowboy image of themselves.  I have the scientific research to prove it, but I lost it in one of my cortexes.

I do think it matters.  I've lived a few places where trucks were prevalent and you could tell who used them and who didn't.  But it's not really worth arguing about.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 23:27:02 »
I just want to have a truck to help fulfill my macho, alpha image that I cling to because it's what I am. And I will video what I want in public, because it's my federal right. Video, like skateboarding, is not a crime.

Let me have that.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 23:29:57 »
I just want to have a truck to help fulfill my macho, alpha image that I cling to because it's what I am. And I will video what I want in public, because it's my federal right. Video, like skateboarding, is not a crime.

Let me have that.

See, if you had just said that from the get go, I would have let you have it.  I think it's also because I'm in Orange County and not somewhere else, so most the trucks/SUVs are rich suburban housewives and their daughters or 909 douchey dudebros.  Elsewhere the population could be totally different.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 23:33:18 »

same can be said about sports cars.

that porsche looks REAL fast stuck in traffic. a track day? ****, im not going to risk my 70k car!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 23:34:12 »

that porsche looks REAL fast stuck in traffic. a track day? ****, im not going to risk my 70k car!

well, that only says you're not REALLY rich enough to drive a porsche..

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 23:35:11 »

Let me have that.

See, if you had just said that from the get go, I would have let you have it.  I think it's also because I'm in Orange County and not somewhere else, so most the trucks/SUVs are rich suburban housewives and their daughters or 909 douchey dudebros.  Elsewhere the population could be totally different.

OC isn't much different than other upper class, areas, (Apharetta GA, Bellingham WA, etc). Big SUVs are merely yet another trapping of wealth, like gigantic screen TVs, blah blah...

Offline compgeke

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 00:47:02 »
I've never quite understood SUVs myself.

They're big, they don't hold any more people than an estate, they generally hold less cargo than an estate or van, they aren't typically good on gas and they cost more. Never made sense to me. Maybe if you need ground clearance or something...

There's a mix of trucks here for work vs status symbol as well. A lot of vineyards and such where even a small Nissan Frontier is nice to have or where weight moving is needed (F250s and such). A bit more of the lifted F350s with beds so high you can't see in (less yet get stuff in), stupidly loud exhaust and shined up cheap wheels.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 00:54:22 »
They're big, they don't hold any more people than an estate, they generally hold less cargo than an estate or van, they aren't typically good on gas and they cost more. Never made sense to me. Maybe if you need ground clearance or something...
My Orange County lawyer uncle bought an extra luxury SUV because he could get a tax write-off for it as a business vehicle.

SUVs don’t have to abide by the same fuel economy standards that cars do, because they’re built on a truck chassis.

Also, SUVs are big.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 01:29:37 »

OC isn't much different than other upper class, areas, (Apharetta GA, Bellingham WA, etc). Big SUVs are merely yet another trapping of wealth, like gigantic screen TVs, blah blah...

I read a long time ago that Orange County was bankrupt. How did these guys get out of Chapter 11? Did they raise some local taxes, or did they just default on their muni loans and shafted their creditors?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 02:49:29 »
I read a long time ago that Orange County was bankrupt.
That was 20 years ago. You can google for it and read the details in various newspaper articles from the time if you want. Also, that’s Chapter 9, not Chapter 11.

It’s actually very difficult to raise local taxes (or any kind of income/property taxes) in California due to Proposition 13 (that was part of the cause of the crisis in the first place), and it’s especially difficult to raise taxes in places like San Diego or Orange counties, because the voters there are rich white Republicans who have an almost religious opposition to taxes. Mostly, they issued a bunch of new bonds, and told their creditors to wait a bit.

Here’s a whitepaper about it from 1998 http://www.ppic.org/content/pubs/op/OP_398OP.pdf
(edit: Just read this whitepaper. It’s actually very good. I’d recommend it to anyone who is interested in US municipal financing.)
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 December 2014, 03:06:25 by jacobolus »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 03:11:36 »

Not really though.
Big American trucks are built from cheap ****ty materials, are ugly as **** and awful to drive. You spend even a little on a nice sports car (like a Porsche) and you get a well made comfortable car that's super fun to drive.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 07:52:30 »

I do think it matters.  I've lived a few places where trucks were prevalent and you could tell who used them and who didn't.  But it's not really worth arguing about.

I've lived in those places, too.  I still find a good helping of unnecessary machismo paired with big trucks, but unnecessary machismo isn't all about owning a truck.  It's more than John Wayne image that many guys like to have of themselves.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 11:12:20 »

I've lived in those places, too.  I still find a good helping of unnecessary machismo paired with big trucks, but unnecessary machismo isn't all about owning a truck.  It's more than John Wayne image that many guys like to have of themselves.
There's one good way to tell if they're doing it for show: it's lifted
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 14:41:50 »
There's one good way to tell if they're doing it for show: it's lifted

Don't forget truck nuts too.

I think about 50% of the trucks I see down here are lifted, maybe a little more than that. 

Real men lift Pintos:

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 14:50:37 »
They need them as mobile racks for their rifle collections.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 15:50:20 »

Not really though.
Big American trucks are built from cheap ****ty materials, are ugly as **** and awful to drive. You spend even a little on a nice sports car (like a Porsche) and you get a well made comfortable car that's super fun to drive.

looks are subjective. awful to drive in what sense? my truck is easy to handle and comfortable. i use it for work everyday.

fun to drive? where? in traffic? please, most sports car owners also buy them for looks. especially in my area. yeah they gun at a green light.. only for them to have to hit their brakes due to traffic.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 16:46:24 »

Not really though.

looks are subjective. awful to drive in what sense? my truck is easy to handle and comfortable. i use it for work everyday.

fun to drive? where? in traffic? please, most sports car owners also buy them for looks. especially in my area. yeah they gun at a green light.. only for them to have to hit their brakes due to traffic.

Seems like your missing out. Being fun to drive dsn't mean speeding or going fast... And the pick up trucks I've driven that have been imported feel like garbage to drive, even the Cadallacs (no idea how you spell it); the steering is loose, the throttle feels dead and the gearbox's tend to be pretty tragic. And then you have the size of them...

im sure if you spend some money on one you could make it feel and drive pretty well, but why bother when for about the same money (depending on what your buying) you can get a smaller and more fun to drive car...

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 19:20:30 »
When I worked overseas for a bit I had an F250 or 350, I cannot exactly remember which type all I remember was walking up to it and the top of the bonnet reaching my neck. I thought how am I going to drive this thing (my car at home was a Daewoo Lanos). Then I saw how the other UAE drivers roll and thanked my lucky stars I had at least some chance of survival in the event of an accident.

Was a nice experience driving one of those things for a while but I would never own one, they don't fit in car spaces and are just unnecessary. You couldn't use it in Australia, in the cities you would off yourself after the first commute in peak hour.

Worth a mention that I did not choose the vehicle it was company leased, if I could have chosen I would have lived near public transport and taken the train.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 December 2014, 19:23:56 by fanpeople »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 22:45:30 »
Public-mass transit? That's just crazy talk. Don't even say it out loud.

I can't imagine not having wheels. Most of my life I've owned 2 cars. (trucks, convertibles, beach mobiles)

I'm so California.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 23:18:45 »
It’s so nice to have lived in Boston and then San Francisco for the past ~11 years, where I don’t need to own a car. Living in suburban southern CA (edge of CA) was great up until about age 13, when all I needed was to walk or bike around town to visit my friends, and didn’t need to worry about grocery shopping, or commuting more than 10 blocks to school, etc.

For teenagers or adults in suburbia though, not having a car is crippling, and having a car is a huge pain in the ass. Modern American suburban cities are pretty much the worst designed living environments in the history of the world.†

Reasonably successful all things considered at their original primary purpose though: keeping poor brown people out of white neighborhoods.

† possibly a slight exaggeration
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 December 2014, 23:24:47 by jacobolus »