Author Topic: Topre REALFORCE108UW-HiPro 30 Anniversary  (Read 4405 times)

Offline Bison

Topre REALFORCE108UW-HiPro 30 Anniversary
« on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 01:23:14 »
Ok, just registered to post this one. A Topre 108, 45g uniform with spherical retro caps.
This would be my perfect keyboard if it launch in 91 and silent.

https://www.justmyshop.com/camp/realforcehipro/

Or one could get it just for the keycaps.  ;D
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 December 2014, 01:34:21 by Bison »

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
Re: Topre REALFORCE108UW-HiPro 30 Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 01:40:28 »
TKL would have been beast =(

Too bad it's 108 key because I'd really never find a time to use it on my cluttered desk

Offline Jumpjet

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 06:46:45 »
God yes, that's pretty. Sphericals are an acquired taste but worth the effort.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 12:06:49 »
you can get an ANSI version of the same color scheme at leopold, they've been selling 104UK for awhile
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline Bison

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 14:12:13 »
Oh, I didn't realize the hi-pro had sphericals, thanks.
I'm actually looking for a JP layout.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 16:32:19 »
That's a fairly specific layout too - do the Japanese go for ISO?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 16:46:54 »

What do you mean? It's just JIS layout.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 16:49:38 »
I want that sweet shopping bag.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 16:56:38 »

What do you mean? It's just JIS layout.

JIS has ISO-like Enter?

Ok.  TIL.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Jumpjet

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 04:36:46 »
OP- worth bearing in mind that the Hi in HiPro refers to the tall spherical caps (they're varying heights in fact). Only the bottom row is Topre regular. The height gives the caps a 'controlled' wobble as they 'ride' slightly on the rubber dome. Stroke feel is also inconsistent between rows, with some keys having a soft bottoming-out, while others strike the plastic cap on the stem for a noticeably hard impact. Finally, the spherical caps used are so dished they could hold a pool of water! By contrast, the Filco doubleshot sphericals have a light indent that's easy to slide over.  Taken as a whole, it might not give you that typical Topre experience you're expecting.

All that being said, it's built like an industrial, hardcore office device worthy of frontline action on any global trading floor, and it produces a sound straight out of the late 70s! Once you acclimatise to the caps, you'll be flying across the board too. It's a unique experience!
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 December 2014, 04:38:56 by Jumpjet »

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 11:16:18 »
OP- worth bearing in mind that the Hi in HiPro refers to the tall spherical caps (they're varying heights in fact). Only the bottom row is Topre regular. The height gives the caps a 'controlled' wobble as they 'ride' slightly on the rubber dome. Stroke feel is also inconsistent between rows, with some keys having a soft bottoming-out, while others strike the plastic cap on the stem for a noticeably hard impact. Finally, the spherical caps used are so dished they could hold a pool of water! By contrast, the Filco doubleshot sphericals have a light indent that's easy to slide over.  Taken as a whole, it might not give you that typical Topre experience you're expecting.

All that being said, it's built like an industrial, hardcore office device worthy of frontline action on any global trading floor, and it produces a sound straight out of the late 70s! Once you acclimatise to the caps, you'll be flying across the board too. It's a unique experience!

I think they should just have done DSA Topre :P

But each profile and layout is a different experience. Always wanted to try a hipro topre

Offline Bison

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 14:27:57 »

Nice feedback, worth to consider. Luckily, I'll give the keyboards a try before buying.

Offline zshang

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 13:22:09 »
I wonder how can I use the JIS-layout to code, if it has an ANSI-layout I will definitely add it to my collection

Offline Bison

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 14:28:36 »
The HI-PRO has an ANSI layout, but not with this color scheme.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 15:49:28 »
Are there enough keys to cover a Japanese version HHKB?

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 18:19:35 »
I should point out that HiPro keycaps are not exactly compatible with standard Topre keyboards, and vice versa. The HiPro keycaps have longer stems to accommodate the taller profile, and the housing is different as well. During KeyCon I think some guys attempted to try swapping the keycaps to some success, but it wasn't perfect.

Point is, I wouldn't recommend buying a HiPro to attempt using the keycaps on a non-HiPro keyboard.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 09:18:03 »
I should point out that HiPro keycaps are not exactly compatible with standard Topre keyboards, and vice versa. The HiPro keycaps have longer stems to accommodate the taller profile, and the housing is different as well. During KeyCon I think some guys attempted to try swapping the keycaps to some success, but it wasn't perfect.

Point is, I wouldn't recommend buying a HiPro to attempt using the keycaps on a non-HiPro keyboard.

That's a bit disappointing to hear =[

Would have loved to swap the tkl part onto a JIS TKL topre

Offline Jumpjet

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 11:59:35 »
Anyone ever manage to get their mitts on one of these babies?

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 13:40:12 »

I have two on order. Took me several hours to navigate through the sign up and purchase of these along with the reshipper service. (Since they don't ship outside Japan)

Offline Jumpjet

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 16:29:36 »

I have two on order. Took me several hours to navigate through the sign up and purchase of these along with the reshipper service. (Since they don't ship outside Japan)

Great! Do let us know how you get on. I've got the HiPro but light colour format would be very useful for me. Out of interest, what re-shipper service are you using?

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 18:20:32 »

Great! Do let us know how you get on. I've got the HiPro but light colour format would be very useful for me. Out of interest, what re-shipper service are you using?

Used my own card to pay then tenso will reship. Otherwise to go through a buying agent like celga you're paying at least 5% of the price of the keyboard in fees.

But the site is strictly Japanese and their shipping form is weird so it took a while (and I can only hope I did it properly)