Author Topic: plate mount to pcb mount?  (Read 4291 times)

Offline Hellcatz

plate mount to pcb mount?
« on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 18:44:22 »
So manage to find a keyboard with cherry mx browns for 35 cad and forgot to check whether or not it was plate mount or pcb mount switches. The question is, is there anyway I can make it so it will be secure?

Offline Roibhilin

• Saver of Humens
Re: plate mount to pcb mount?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 18:58:27 »
are you asking if you can convert a PCB mount keyboard to plate mount? if it's a standard form factor like TKL/104 there are some plates people sell but you'll have to desolder the switches before you put them on

QFR | Poker II | Quickfire TK

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 19:00:04 »
are you asking if you can convert a PCB mount keyboard to plate mount? if it's a standard form factor like TKL/104 there are some plates people sell but you'll have to desolder the switches before you put them on
the other way around I need the switches for a gon build

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 19:44:42 »
What keyboard are you buying? I'm pretty sure it's a plate mount if it's one of the more mainstream boards such as a CoolerMaster Quickfire.

Edit-

Read your question wrong. If you have a plate for the GON keyboard it should be secure. It'll be even more secure if it's PCB mount switch though...

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 19:47:34 »
Its going to be a nerd crystal case so?

Offline Hogesyx

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 02:30:37 »

No problem. PCB cherry can be easily converted to Plated one by cutting the 2 plastic leg with a good snip/wirecutter/etc and craft knife. I believe GON pcb has holes for PCB switches right? You might not even need to cut them unless there is some fitting issue.
Novatouch TKL | Ducky YOTR (Brown) | Ducky Shine (Brown)
Poker II (Red) | GH60 revchn (Clear)

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 07:46:38 »

No problem. PCB cherry can be easily converted to Plated one by cutting the 2 plastic leg with a good snip/wirecutter/etc and craft knife. I believe GON pcb has holes for PCB switches right? You might not even need to cut them unless there is some fitting issue.

OP wants Plate to PCB.

The only part that changes is the lower switch housing unit.  PCB mount has two extra plastic legs.  If you have diodes/LED's, those will also work to secure the switch in place.  An old board I have even uses metal "staples' soldered to the pcb for stability.

If your GON doesn't have a plate, your best bet would be to buy PCB mount housing units (or buy PCB mount switches, swap the internals, and sell your plate mount ones).

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 09:59:01 »
I've used some plate switches in a pinch for replace some bad switch on pcb mount. I don't think it really makes a huge difference in stability, but they are a ***** to get them aligned perfectly without the fixing pins.

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 18:22:10 »
Do peeps really just sell the housing itself? The ones I have seen are replacements for the top half of the switch

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 13:44:13 »
Do peeps really just sell the housing itself? The ones I have seen are replacements for the top half of the switch

WHy do you need to bother? If you are taking the switches out, you will almost certainly be putting them in a plate mounted keyboard like 99% of geekhackers. The plate will hold your switches securely.

I used to be willing to sell parts, but now I'm OOS where switch housings are concerned.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.