Author Topic: Xhere can I find a Rosewill RK-9000 replacement controller (or help me diagnose)  (Read 4174 times)

Offline modest

I am typing this on an old German-made "Modell MX 8000" Cherry keyboard xith a broken Double-U key. I am in dire straights. Forgive my substitution of the Double-U key xith an "X".

My Rosewill RK-9000BR stopped xorking. I disassembled it to check the USB connector's solder joints and they look fine -- all 3 indicator LEDs also light up for a second xhen plugged in. I see a removable controller xith a label: "NFKB-Daughter ESD Rev 2.0". My best guess is the controller fizzled out.

Anyone familiar xith other reasons xhy an RK-9000 xould stop xorking, please pipe up. I see some threads about custom, programmable controllers to replace the stock controller on the RK9000, but I can't find xhere to order these. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Looks like:
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Controller_matrix_traces#Rosewill
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 December 2014, 10:19:28 by modest »

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
I am typing this on an old German-made "Modell MX 8000" Cherry keyboard xith a broken Double-U key. I am in dire straights. Forgive my substitution of the Double-U key xith an "X".

My Rosewill RK-9000BR stopped xorking. I disassembled it to check the USB connector's solder joints and they look fine -- all 3 indicator LEDs also light up for a second xhen plugged in. I see a removable controller xith a label: "NFKB-Daughter ESD Rev 2.0". My best guess is the controller fizzled out.

Anyone familiar xith other reasons xhy an RK-9000 xould stop xorking, please pipe up. I see some threads about custom, programmable controllers to replace the stock controller on the RK9000, but I can't find xhere to order these. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Looks like:
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Controller_matrix_traces#Rosewill

Try contacting bpiphany. If I remember right, it costs $35 shipped to get one of his controllers.

Alternatively, just watch Ebay. From time to time you can get a Rosewill fairly cheaply.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline combataran

Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database

Offline modest

Thank you! I did find that thread, but being a year old I didn't think it xas still active (and I xas looking for a online-shop link -- didn't see I should PM bpiphany).

I'll give it a try for $35 -- I can't throx out an otherxise good keyboard.

Offline berserkfan

Thank you! I did find that thread, but being a year old I didn't think it xas still active (and I xas looking for a online-shop link -- didn't see I should PM bpiphany).

I'll give it a try for $35 -- I can't throx out an otherxise good keyboard.

This is the problem with newbies who haven't been on here long enough - you won't know stuff. bpiphany has a policy of not bumping up his threads, since he's not looking to make money from sales. Actually he's an active gher and has always replied to my PMs within one day!
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Arcoril

+1 for these replacement controllers. bpiphany is a total bro and I love that he's put these together for Costar boards. I use them on my QFRs and RK-9000s and absolutely love them. Once you go fully programmable you have a hard time going back.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
I have a stock controller from a RK-9000RE which had a dead USB port. I've mostly parted the board out, but I still have the controller kicking around. Let me know if you're interested.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline modest

[...] Once you go fully programmable you have a hard time going back.

I am a free software advocate, so the 'who knows what's going on in your current keyboard's firmware' argument works for me. Never the less, I'd like to know what benefits a fully programmable firmware can provide?

I have a stock controller from a RK-9000RE which had a dead USB port. I've mostly parted the board out, but I still have the controller kicking around. Let me know if you're interested.

I'm pretty sold on the idea of replacing my chip with a homebrew solution. Barring unavailbility, what could I offer you for your controller? I do have a German-Made Cherry keyboard with broken 'w' key. :^) It's got what I think are cherry clears mounted to the PCB (typing on this board doesn't feel as solid as my rosewill).
http://hosted.osquat.com/kb-dis.jpg
http://hosted.osquat.com/kb.jpg
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 December 2014, 17:17:44 by modest »

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator

I am a free software advocate, so the 'who knows what's going on in your current keyboard's firmware' argument works for me. Never the less, I'd like to know what benefits a fully programmable firmware can provide?

I'm pretty sold on the idea of replacing my chip with a homebrew solution. Barring unavailbility, what could I offer you for your controller? I do have a German-Made Cherry keyboard with broken 'w' key. :^)

The main benefit of a fully-programmable keyboard is the ability to remap keys, change layouts, and add function layers as you please. I see it as a lot more useful on smaller boards, that don't have all the keys of a full-size board, but there's nothing bad about it by any means. There's definitely some interesting things that you can do -- make your board hardware-dvorak for instance. It's possible that those controllers also support embedded media keys and other neatness too, although I'm nowhere near sure about that.

If you're interested in my controller, I could send it for the cost of shipping, or cost of shipping + $5.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline berserkfan

I'm pretty sold on the idea of replacing my chip with a homebrew solution. Barring unavailbility, what could I offer you for your controller? I do have a German-Made Cherry keyboard with broken 'w' key. :^) It's got what I think are cherry clears mounted to the PCB (typing on this board doesn't feel as solid as my rosewill).

That is a Cherry G80-8200. It is an awesome and programmable keyboard. Please do not part it out. Instead, conduct a search for geekhack threads related to the programming of this keyboard.

Offline modest

That is a Cherry G80-8200. It is an awesome and programmable keyboard. Please do not part it out. Instead, conduct a search for geekhack threads related to the programming of this keyboard.

Very cool, thanks. I found (then lost) a thread in which you describe how to program the Cherry G80-8200 keyboard - the general steps being:
1) bring up a text editor (gedit works in Linux, avoid vim or emacs).
2) Hold down the 6 key combo: both left and right shift + alt + ctrl keys until the keyboard beeps. The keyboard will type out "*** MENU ENTRY ***".
3) Press a programmable key (the keyboard will type out the number of the programmable key), type the stuff you want to program it to do, then press the programmable key again.
4) Press the space bar to exit the programmable mode. The keyboard will type out "*** MENU EXIT ***".
5) Close any search dialogs that pop up.

Alas the board I have has visibly corroded keyswitch and circuit board where 'w' key belongs. If I want to repair it I could probably wire around the problem and replace the switch. I'm not so attached to it though and I have a short stack of these NIB to go through. The card reader is super cool to play with though.