Author Topic: Replace my Model M  (Read 1384 times)

Offline wafflematt

Replace my Model M
« on: Tue, 04 August 2009, 02:02:50 »
Hey guys,

I've been lurking here a bit but haven't posted anything yet.

The two keyboard I primarily use are both IBMs.  A model M, and another one with membranes.  I've used them forever, and haven't really thought about replacing them until stumbling in here a few weeks ago.

I don't really like the feel of the membrane keyboard compared to the model M, but even the M could be better, I think.  It feels like the keypress drops away too fast after it buckles.  I like the firm keypress, but maybe something that gives away a little less drastically, and uses a little less pressure to go?  I'm not sure the terminology here.

The real reason I am considering replacing my keyboard though is that I'd like one a bit smaller.  I don't use any keys outside of the main block of keys.  Arrow keys on fairly rare occasion; numpad & F-keys almost never.  (Vi keybindings in everything!).

I've looked at a few keyboards but I'm never quite happy with the layout.  The Happy Hacking keyboard almost has it, but I don't like how they've moved keys about.  I like my full size \ keys immediately above the enter, as well as modifier keys being left alone.  I'm going to be moving back and forth to a Model M, so I'd prefer to keep keys as consistent as possible.  The Filco tenkeyless is pretty nice, but still has the arrow keys that I don't really need or want.
The Apple aluminum wireless keyboard is pretty close.
Closest would be the sony TZ laptop layout, except those two are chicklet. I don't mind them that much though -- I type on my TZ without any trouble.  Its better than the membrane I use on my desktop.

So I guess this boils to two questions:  Can somebody help me figure out what kind of switches fit my description, and do any keyboards fit the description I'm looking for?

I'm pretty flexible on lots of these points, so guidelines, links to threads, etc, would be much appreciated, as are specific keyboard recommendations.
As a sidenote, I'm located in Canada, so any help on places to look for keyboard would be awesome too.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Replace my Model M
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 August 2009, 06:56:25 »
There's two issues here - swich and layout. As for layout, you may want to look at some of the options on this thread. I'd think that your best bet would still be with the HHKB. You say that you don't like the position of the mod keys, but it should be pointed out that there are some customization switches at the back which allow the Metas to be swapped with Alts, and the left Alt to be turned into Fn. Also, as someone who owns a keyboard with the Ctrl in the 'right' position (see the pics link in my sig) I can tell you that a) It's a much better place and b) it's actually quite easy to swap between them.

As for switches - if you go down down the HHKB route, you have the Topre switches. They're pretty much the opposite of buckling springs, light, quiet and with a very subtle point of tactility. If you want something more clicky Blue Cherrys would be the best, but then you don't get the HHKB layout.

Offline wafflematt

Replace my Model M
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 August 2009, 20:52:02 »
So I've been reading a fair bit, and found a friend with a Das Keyboard II.
I guess it has cherry blue switches, which were pretty nice.  

I'm heavily considering the cherry blue or brown filco from elitekeyboards, though the whole "off time" thing on their website is making me possibly want to wait a bit.
Other than the audible click, is there a big difference between a blue and a brown cherry?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Replace my Model M
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 August 2009, 20:58:04 »
Browns are lighter, and the tactility isn't as pronounced.