Author Topic: New MS Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000  (Read 2092 times)

Offline itlnstln

New MS Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000
« on: Tue, 04 August 2009, 10:26:50 »
http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/04/microsofts-wireless-comfort-desktop-5000-ready-for-windows-7/

Switches aside, it looks pretty swanky.  It features new functionality specifically for Windows 7.  If it's anything like the previuos version, the switches feel pretty nice for rubber domes.  I like them better than scissor switches, because they aren't as short of a throw, but they have the sharper tactility of a scissor.  Obviously, this isn't going to replace anything in anybody's lineup around here, but if you, or someone you know, is looking for something quiet for work* (and can't bring something mechanical), you could do a lot worse.

*I still highly recommend a brown Cherry G80 for work as it is quieter than a rubber dome.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 August 2009, 11:44:35 »
Looks nice, but ... the function keys are smaller than the media keys. Even the Esc key is tiny.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 August 2009, 11:47:55 by Rajagra »

Offline skartt

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 August 2009, 12:11:50 »
yes, esc key is bugging me too. Additionally i am a little worried about the total height - looks ratther thick.

Offline doornail

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 August 2009, 12:16:22 »
Destroy open source by striking where it begins; the vi editor.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 August 2009, 14:35:12 »
Quote from: doornail;106918
Destroy open source by striking where it begins; the vi editor.
LOL.

Implementations like these give a whole 'nother meaning to the term "F-keys" - the user may be found to emit the occasional four-letter word trying to use them. :laugh:

But really, apps heavily relying on those are no fun with such a layout, seen that myself (our PCB design prog @work is like that, it's a bit of an oldschool CAD-like software). Standard grouping makes life a lot easier there - try figuring out (quickly) where F6 is in a continuous row of 12.

I don't really get this F-key shrinking trend anyway.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 August 2009, 14:40:00 by keyb_gr »
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline doornail

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 August 2009, 15:15:39 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;106960
LOL.

Implementations like these give a whole 'nother meaning to the term "F-keys" - the user may be found to emit the occasional four-letter word trying to use them. :laugh

A few years back I picked up a couple Logitech Elite Keyboards that shared the functions keys with a bunch of actions; stuff like email and folder commands.  If you wanted to use them as normal F keys you had to press the 'F-Lock' button.  Somehow, a dev at Logitech thought it would be a good idea to default this to off so that every time users booted their PCs, they could experience the joy of wondering why their saved game wasn't loading followed by 'gah, that stupid F-lock'.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 August 2009, 15:42:07 by doornail »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 04 August 2009, 15:38:55 »
Quote from: doornail;106973
A few years back I picked up a couple Logitech Elite Keyboards that shared the functions keys with a bunch of actions; stuff like email and folder commands. If you wanted to use them as normal F keys you had to press the 'F-Lock' button. Somehow, a dev at Logitech thought it would be great default this to off so that every time users booted their PCs, they could experience the joy of wondering why their saved game wasn't loading followed by 'gah, that stupid F-lock'.

At least MS decided to default the F-lock to it's proper position.  I never had a problem with F-lock on my Natural 4000.

Offline skriefal

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 04 August 2009, 19:09:26 »
... but they made the same mistake as Logitech with the "Multimedia" version of the Natural keyboard.

Offline cmr

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 14:03:25 »
yeah that escape key would not work for me :wq

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 05 August 2009, 16:17:53 »
What I don't get is that the whole point of the function keys is to perform additional functions. Microsoft came along and defined uses for them - a standard. Now they decide their own standard uses are not important enough to justify full sized keys. It's just bizarre.