Author Topic: Has anyone dealt with 'trackballs_r_us' on ebay (Microsoft Trackball Explorer)  (Read 5938 times)

Offline dante

I've been thinking of getting one of his nicer ones for quite a while now and now I feel like a fire has been lit under my ass:

Quote from: trackballs_r_us
PLEASE DON’T WAIT TOO LONG IF YOU HAVE

MICROSOFT EXPLORER OR OPTICAL TRACKBALLS IN NEED OF REPAIR

I plan to “retire” soon. I am 80 years old.

My current house (77 years old) is now up for sale.

When this house sells, I will shut down my eBay services and sales.

I will be moving into my ‘new ‘ house (178 years old).

Then, it will be housework and not trackball work.
If you procrastinate – it may be too late!

This guy sounds like the Bob Tibbetts of Microsoft Trackballs.  Now, while the cost is high I do have a Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman Trackball (T-RB22) that is in excellent condition that goes for quite a bit.  I was thinking of selling it and using the funds to go towards one of the Explorer 1.0's.

Just curious if anyone around here can vouch for the guys handiwork?

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
You don't trust eBay reviews? He has 100% feedback and a score of almost 3000...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline dante

Yeah my paranoia knows no bounds ...

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
A coworker of mine has ordered two of his rebuilt units - he loves them both.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly

Do you guys have any links? I like trackballs. (I also have difficulty looking up many auction listings due to my location, so I prefer direct links.)
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline dante

Do you guys have any links? I like trackballs. (I also have difficulty looking up many auction listings due to my location, so I prefer direct links.)

Here is the guys store: http://stores.ebay.com/trackballsrus

Offline berserkfan

UM...
Not a single listing is for trackball sale.They are all for trackball repair services. You have to have an existing trackball, send it in to him, etc.

not to criticize, but while his skill and time is probably worth $50, you can also get an excellent trackball for $50. I paid Slip84 that much for his Kensington Expert mouse, and am using it now happily. There is no need to get a craftsman to do something that an automated factory can do.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Parak

not to criticize, but while his skill and time is probably worth $50, you can also get an excellent trackball for $50. I paid Slip84 that much for his Kensington Expert mouse, and am using it now happily. There is no need to get a craftsman to do something that an automated factory can do.

His services are for microsoft trackballs which are not made anymore, and command ludicrous prices on both the used and new market. My guess is that the form and/or functionality that they provide cannot be replicated with other trackballs currently on the market... much like certain vintage keyboards..

Offline dante

UM...
Not a single listing is for trackball sale.They are all for trackball repair services. You have to have an existing trackball, send it in to him, etc.

At the time I posted the link he had one for sale.

He has decided to list what his time / skill are worth and the market is paying for it.  So clearly there are enough folks who see value in the service he provides.

Offline berserkfan

At the time I posted the link he had one for sale.

He has decided to list what his time / skill are worth and the market is paying for it.  So clearly there are enough folks who see value in the service he provides.

If a new trackball is $60 and his service is $50, the only conclusion is that the Microsoft trackball is some kind of godly trackball that's now out of production. Which I'm a bit surprised by since there aren't many threads praising that trackball (and anyway logitech has offerings in similar layouts.)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
MTE is legendary, and no, there's nothing to take its place without compromises. The closest thing was Logitech Marble FX (discontinued without any direct replacement) or barely Logitech Cordless TrackMan Optical, which I found awful and it appears to be EOL as well.

Offline berserkfan

MTE is legendary, and no, there's nothing to take its place without compromises. The closest thing was Logitech Marble FX (discontinued without any direct replacement) or barely Logitech Cordless TrackMan Optical, which I found awful and it appears to be EOL as well.

You mean most people like thumb trackballs? I'm so used to using my little or ring finger on a trackball that I can't use a thumb anymore.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
What? I've mentioned no thumb trackball in this thread (yet).

Offline berserkfan

What? I've mentioned no thumb trackball in this thread (yet).

Aren't all these trackballs thumb balls? At least when I see the pictures.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Not thumb at all.