Author Topic: Ninox Aurora first impressions and size comparison  (Read 6173 times)

Offline P3TC0CK

Ninox Aurora first impressions and size comparison
« on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 07:48:09 »
Just got my ninox aurora in the mail and wanted to share some photos and my own small review/ first impressions of the device.

I've included all the photos of the device here on imgur if you'd like to get a full view of the mouse.

Box is pretty standard, has some useful info and directs you to the website for software installation. Nothing out of the ordinary here.

The mouse comes with some basic stuff like extra feet and stickers. The finish is pretty nice, and the mouse feels light but well built. The click of each button crisp, satisfying, and light. The feet are nice and smooth and glide easily across my mousepad.

The cable seems pretty robust from holding it, but it makes use of that odd "ridged" cable which I hate the feel of. That's a pretty small gripe admittedly though.

Lighting is pretty subtle and easily hidden when using your mouse. Depending on your preferences this may be a plus or a minus. I generally don't like to have any lights on my desktop while I use the computer as I find them distracting.

Size comparison with my current mouse, the Logitech G602. Although the ninox is nice, I don't plan on using it as my main mouse. I'll give it a few days of testing and see how it goes. I'll most likely give it to a friend.

The ninox is a claw grip mouse. I prefer a palm grip so it felt sort of unusual using the Ninox, but it felt good for an ambidextrous claw grip mouse  compared to say the Zowie FK1 Which I absolutely hate using.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 December 2014, 07:57:37 by P3TC0CK »
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun
1. a small valve or faucet, as for draining off excess or waste material from the cylinder of a steam engine or an internal-combustion engine.

Offline Battou62

Re: Ninox Aurora first impressions and size comparison
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 10:01:55 »
I need to get one of these. I feel like I have been waiting on this forever.

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 12:57:28 »
I need to get one of these. I feel like I have been waiting on this forever.

It's a great little mouse as long as you use a claw grip. Would love for them to produce a range of mice for different grips because in terms of hand feel the mouse is really good. Light enough and the clicks feel amazing.

petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun
1. a small valve or faucet, as for draining off excess or waste material from the cylinder of a steam engine or an internal-combustion engine.

Offline Battou62

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 13:10:25 »
I am using a xai now. I wonder how they would compare?

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 15:07:06 »
I am using a xai now. I wonder how they would compare?

It's slightly smaller than the zai. I like the scroll wheel and shape of the ninox more. I'm not a fan of the profile that the xai, fk1, etc have
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun

Offline Noko

• jolonarr: a tough dude who takes no esses!
  • * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 19:42:25 »
Also got the Ninox from Massdrop, have followed development on ESR for a few years so I was very hype.

Positives: It is *perfect* for a small-handed palm grip in addition to larger-handed claw grips.  Quite a while ago I used a Xai, but found it a bit big for me (plus I had terrible luck with sensors).  The Zowie FK1 was almost right, but the Ninox is just slightly smaller than it, or maybe just better shaped.  The largest advantage of the Ninox design over the FK1 imo is the side button placement, which is high enough to never accidentally hit with your thumb while still remaining accessible.  The side plastic is also superior for its grip.  Can't beat the price except with a WMO.

Negative:  It's been maybe two weeks now?  My scroll wheel is now majorly squeaking :(  I like this mouse so much I'll be opening it up and seeing if there's anything I can do about it to fix it.  However, hearing about others' QC problems on ESR, it might be worth waiting for the next batch if you're patient.  I'll probably pick up a couple of them to keep a backup supply at that point.

Noko's Leatherworks - Handmade Custom Leather Wrist Rests -  http://www.noko.ca

Sales Thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51762.0
Build Log: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47704.0

Offline Battou62

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 07:54:48 »
Thanks for the info Noko. I will probably wait for the next batch then. Hopefully they can get all the kinks worked out.

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 13:21:11 »
Negative:  It's been maybe two weeks now?  My scroll wheel is now majorly squeaking :(  I like this mouse so much I'll be opening it up and seeing if there's anything I can do about it to fix it.  However, hearing about others' QC problems on ESR, it might be worth waiting for the next batch if you're patient.  I'll probably pick up a couple of them to keep a backup supply at that point.

That's unfortunate, I don't use the mouse enough to have that issue at the moment. Probably something you could fix with a bit of lube though.

You mentioned WMO. I heard that you could put the internals in the body of a WMO or another windows mouse. Have you considered trying that out if you open it?
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun