Author Topic: How can I tell what year my Scorpius M10 was made?  (Read 3410 times)

Offline Shyfe

How can I tell what year my Scorpius M10 was made?
« on: Thu, 06 August 2009, 11:45:29 »
I ordered one from X-tremegeek and it doesn't have a logo on the top right. It also has a gray LED cover. I think it's an old one, but I'm not too sure.

HHKB (55g) | IBM SSK | Realforce 87U (55g) | Unicomp EnduraPro | KBT Oni

Offline cmr

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 August 2009, 11:47:31 »
post pix of the PCB

Offline Shyfe

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 August 2009, 11:50:02 »
I can't find a screwdriver that will fit. Is the PCB different for older and new ones?

Offline Shyfe

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 August 2009, 12:02:14 »
does yours say iOne in the top right?

Offline Shyfe

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 August 2009, 14:16:59 »
alright i just opened it up and i got the pictures. after closing it, it noticed a tiny gap on the edge between the top and bottom half (1 mm). this is normal right?

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 August 2009, 14:41:45 »
My M10 does have the ~1mm gap in the casing on the front.

Just out of curiosity, does your pcb look cleaner without the flash?
When I opened my M10, the pcb looked pretty clean, with perhaps a little solder flux.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline Shyfe

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 August 2009, 15:25:41 »
yeah i think it does. does yours have the iOne logo on the top right? If so, I believe that's a newer one. what do you think of the solder though? should i be fine?

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 August 2009, 15:34:01 »
Interesting, looks like these use the "naked" Cherry switches without even a wire bridge...
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 06 August 2009, 15:35:54 »
Quote from: Shyfe;107596
yeah i think it does. does yours have the iOne logo on the top right? If so, I believe that's a newer one. what do you think of the solder though? should i be fine?

No, my M10 doesn't have the logo on the top right. I haven't had any issues with my Scorpius M10, so I don't think it's a big issue, but I'm not really sure, as I haven't had the keyboard for that long.
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840

Offline cmr

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 06 August 2009, 16:13:11 »
your PCB looks just like mine. i bet it was made about 5 or 6 months ago.

Offline Shyfe

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 August 2009, 16:23:30 »
why is it in all the stock pictures they have the logo on the top right?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 06 August 2009, 16:27:43 »
Quote from: Shyfe;107642
why is it in all the stock pictures they have the logo on the top right?

They're too lazy to take a new one.

I'm not kidding.

Offline Shyfe

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 06 August 2009, 17:13:52 »
but it's kind of odd that they have the white led cover. i thought it was from their discontinued gray ones.

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 06 August 2009, 19:45:24 »
Quote from: ripster;107697
Flash pictures exaggerate those flux pools.  It looks like they have cleaned up their process although I'm no expert.

Well, when I peeked at my PCB, it certainly looked very neat, and clean. I can't say how the flux looks, because I didn't have a flash, but it certainly doesn't seem the soldering mess that it supposedly used to be.

Then again, I've only had the keyboard for ~3 months, so I can't say I have a long term view of its reliability.

Offline Shyfe

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 07 August 2009, 21:47:51 »
to clarify what I meant before, they used to have old white ones a few years back which is where i think these white LED covers are coming from. if they are using the white LED covers from the discontinued white ones on the black ones, then they must have run out at some point. since the ones with the white LED covers on it don't have the white iOne logo printed on it, that leads me to believe the ones with the white iOne logo are the more recent ones since they all have black LED covers plus the box says the keys are rated for 2 million actuations instead of the 1 million on my box. It may say Windows Vista support too while the box for mine doesn't. i can't tell though because I haven't been able to find any pictures high res enough. Of course this doesn't mean anything if they haven't run out of the white LED covers or old boxes and they're just randomly using them. that being said. i don't really have any problems which my keyboard except the right shift key twists when I press it down. is this a common issue with mechanical keyswitches? i never use that key anyway so I'm not too worried.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 08 August 2009, 00:46:01 »
Sorry but I have not really been following this thread. I hate to rain on every ones parade but no they have not fixed there solder issues. That white flux residue is not a problem all no clean fluxes will leave that white residue. Some manufactures will clean the board after the wave process so that it looks nicer but it is not required for them to do so. But with the amount that is on that board they are putting to much on the board before the wave not really an issue but it does make it look dirtier than it really is. If flux application is controlled well then you will only see very small amounts of the white residue. For your piece of mind the residue is inert and should not cause any issues.

Now on to the bigger problem. Take a look at the first picture Shyfe posted earlier in the thread blow it up to full size and go to the bottom left of the picture. Now move to the right about 5 switches (bottom row) then look up you will see where a IC or some other through hole part is soldered into the board (very clean area around it). Take a close look at those solder joints. See how they are formed .. Break this will take me to long to explain instead go take a look at this video from IPC http://ipc.electronics.ca/DVD-PTH-D.wmv Back when I was in manufacturing (SMT Process eng.) I tought that class to both our inspectors and line people. Now that viedo is not long but you will get enough because it does show good solder joints and how they should look.

Now after seeing that look at that picture again can see the issues. Most if not all of the switch joints did not form a good fillet. Most of them just have a ball of solder attached to the board where the switch should be. In stead of repeating myself take a look at this thread:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=5640&highlight=rdjack21
Any questions you have ask here I will try to keep an eye on this thread and answer them if I can.

Your board looks like mine and may have the same problem down the road as mine did. The keys that you bang on the most will fail first. If you are good with an iron and have one you should be able to just reflow the joint and get it to work again. Because the switch will not be the issue it will be that crap solder joint.

Oh as a side note. I don't think any more that they are using a selective solder machine. I think they are putting the board in a wave solder pallet and only exposing the switches on the second pass. But then again they may be doing only one pass (the way I would do it) on a wave solder pallet which may explain why they are having heat issues.

Oh well the bottom line is that they have not fixed their process and the solder joints are not very good (They would not pass IPC standards). Back when I was a Process Engineer if I let that out the door I would have gotten in allot of trouble if not fired.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline Shyfe

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 08 August 2009, 12:50:13 »
i have never soldered before but i do have two soldering guns. i should be able to fix it without much difficulty when it breaks right?

Offline cmr

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 09 August 2009, 13:34:04 »
i've just installed a fifth jumper on my M10 and numpad_0 is working again

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 09 August 2009, 15:32:34 »
Quote from: Shyfe;108233
i have never soldered before but i do have two soldering guns. i should be able to fix it without much difficulty when it breaks right?

As Ripster stated it is very easy to do. But is is also easy to cut/burn a trace if you go fast. Just touch the solder with the tip when it melts pull away that is all it should need. Oh use some flux as well not much just a little. if you don't use flux you will have to leave you iron on the joint longer which can transmit the heat to the switch and damage it.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE

Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 09 August 2009, 17:30:28 »
Quote from: ripster;108484
I like using a block of Sal Ammoniac instead of a wet sponge cause I'm too lazy to walk over to the sink.

For such cases one can also purchase some special kind of metal wool. Some folks swear by the stuff, others don't like it as much.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 09 August 2009, 20:11:18 »
Quote from: ripster;108484
Other advice is really get that tip clean.  I like using a block of Sal Ammoniac instead of a wet sponge cause I'm too lazy to walk over to the sink.  One bozo on Instructables recommended using newspaper - a sure way to spray solder into your eyeball.  Then tin the tip.   Only THEN start actually soldering.

Forgot about that and should have mentioned it myself because it is very important. It really helps heat transfer allot. Thanks for catching that ripster.  I just do it out of habit and forget about it when writing about it.
Keyboards