Author Topic: A new old keyboard  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Tactile

A new old keyboard
« on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 17:55:54 »
A friend who knows I like keyboards found this at a by-the-pound Goodwill.

Is there a way to make this work with a modern computer?

86224-0
REΛLFORCE

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: A new old keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 17:56:54 »
A friend who knows I like keyboards found this at a by-the-pound Goodwill.

Is there a way to make this work with a modern computer?

(Attachment Link)

looks like an F XT

you can do it easily with a teensy and soarer's firmware
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 18:44:01 »
The Goodwill of North Georgia system does not sell computer gear.

A manager said that "real" computer stores complained about the "competition" but that seems odd.

Perhaps there is a lot of it that they can't sell and it is hard to dispose of.

That XT would be a great chassis to turn into an XTant.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline shut up

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 19:59:47 »
What kind of connector?
IBM Model M 42h1292 (Bolt mod, but still broken Yaaaayyyy) | Adesso Mkb-125b MX blues | Alienware Tactx (D0me5.)

Offline Tactile

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 20:56:47 »
What kind of connector?

This is it...
REΛLFORCE

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 02:56:50 »
Man, that looks awesome.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 04:02:08 »
What kind of connector?

This is it...

Oh, an AT. You can get AT to PS/2 converters pretty cheap, if your motherboard has a PS/2 port. It might even work without further craziness then, not familiar with the old IBMs. You can daisy-chain an AT to PS/2 converter to a PS/2 to USB converter, but most of the latter suck horribly and you're probably better off doing surgert.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline RoflCopter4

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 05:26:22 »
I don't think that one is an AT. He'll almost certainly need either a teensy and software or need to buy one of those pre-made thingies from eBay.
Acer KB-101A with Blue Alps | HHKB Pro 2 | '85 122 Key IBM Model F | '86 1390131 "Silver Label" Model M | AEK M0115 with Orange Alps | Focus FK-2001 White Alps | Chicony 5181 with SMK "Monterey Blue" Switches | Dell AT101W | Unicomp "Ultra Classic" | Razer Blackwidow 2013

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 10:26:24 »
It is physically the same as an AT plug but electrically different.

Some true converter will be needed. The Teensy is cheaper and more versatile, but the Hagstrom is plug-and-play.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Tactile

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 13:52:28 »
I've heard that Model F have a nicer feel than Model M but this is my first experience with an F. I'm typing this on a 1391401 M, & have had several over the past decade, but this type F keyboard has such a great feel. And the entire keyboard feels much more solid.

It seems to be in good mechanical condition - both flip-up feet are fine and all the keycaps are firmly installed, the cable & strain relief look good. I might build or buy a converter to see if it really works.
REΛLFORCE