Author Topic: (Gone) 1991 IBM model M (1394946) Made by IBM industrial gray + metal ps/2  (Read 5365 times)

Offline fanpeople

(Industrial gone)

Clicky keyboards has an Industrial for anyone interested

http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/9241/subcatid/0/id/586207

I wish I was rich.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 January 2015, 07:04:35 by fanpeople »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: 1991 IBM model M (1394946) Made by IBM industrial gray + metal ps/2
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 10:03:43 »
Oh boy, it even has that exquisite metal AT-to-PS/2 adapter.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Xonar

• Cathode Ray Tubes
    • DPS
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 10:59:44 »
The first thought that went through my mind when I saw the price was "sell the car." lol But no, I'd get that $1000 industrial SSK if I were to sell the car. :P
IBM Model F XT 5291 Bigfoot x2 | Unicomp UN4KPHA JP Spacesaver M | IBM Model M 3270 APL 122-Key | SHARP X68000 | SGI AT-101 | Samsung TH-5539 FAME Blue Alps | IBM Japanese Pingmaster | HHKB Type-S | IBM Model M 1392595, 6/4/1990 | IBM Model M 1391401, 2/2/1988 | Lexmark-branded 1398601 Model M, 8/18/1995 | Unicomp UB40T5A 122-Key, 5/20/2011 | Sun Type 4 | Sun Type 5c | DEC LK-401AA

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 11:53:15 »

And the raised silver on black logo which I almost never see.

With that cord and adapter thought it would be an earlier year.

Very nice example.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 23:43:54 »

And the raised silver on black logo which I almost never see.

With that cord and adapter thought it would be an earlier year.

Very nice example.

yeah but the beige barrel frame is totally 1990-1992.

Offline pli

Re: (Gone) 1991 IBM model M (1394946) Made by IBM industrial gray + metal ps/2
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 18:17:26 »
I bought it. Did not notice this thread though :p

Don't know how wisely I spent my money here, but I wanted it for long time use and it seemed like a safe bet for one to keep. I felt better buying from an enthusiast who'd be sure to disclose the real nature of the keyboard than trying to wade through sellers on eBay claiming NIB or rarity with varying honesty. But, to be honest, I don't know about the model for sure since I've seen such mixed info... and it's hard to find good data on models and prices and such. I haven't seen them for sale much but I've also read a random remark here about how common that model is compared to other industrial ones.

I've only seen 1394946 come with straight up PS/2 cables before, and 1390653 with the metal AT adapter, I wonder if its from another board or if some 1394946 came with the AT originally. The logo E TwentyNine commented on is the standard one for the model though as far as I know.

By the way, anyone notice the much more enthusiastic comments-section for the keyboard? Must be the new year; I haven't seen even rare unopened ones get more than a rundown of facts on clickykeyboards before ;D

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 18:53:56 »
I bought it. Did not notice this thread though :p

Don't know how wisely I spent my money here, but I wanted it for long time use and it seemed like a safe bet for one to keep. I felt better buying from an enthusiast who'd be sure to disclose the real nature of the keyboard than trying to wade through sellers on eBay claiming NIB or rarity with varying honesty. But, to be honest, I don't know about the model for sure since I've seen such mixed info... and it's hard to find good data on models and prices and such. I haven't seen them for sale much but I've also read a random remark here about how common that model is compared to other industrial ones.

I've only seen 1394946 come with straight up PS/2 cables before, and 1390653 with the metal AT adapter, I wonder if its from another board or if some 1394946 came with the AT originally. The logo E TwentyNine commented on is the standard one for the model though as far as I know.

By the way, anyone notice the much more enthusiastic comments-section for the keyboard? Must be the new year; I haven't seen even rare unopened ones get more than a rundown of facts on clickykeyboards before ;D

Congratulations on the purchase, it is a really nice keyboard.

I saw the industrial on their facebook page before they posted the listing and I was hoping the price was going to be below $450, but they were not thinking of me when they set the price :-[

I like Clickykeybaords, I got my SSK from there. Their comments section is funny in that sometimes its like the content hasn't been updated for years (my SSK apparently came with the original box, not that I had any use for the box so when it didn't it wasn't an issue).

I wonder where this board came from, for example if they owned it personally or if another collector had it and they sold it on their behalf etc. The only reason I wonder is because they appear to get stock from sort of wholesale/disposal of IT areas (not that I have any way of knowing this for certain, just speculation) and it just makes me wonder where it came from.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 19:00:04 »
Have you seen this page?
http://web.tri-isys.com/audcom/Ibm/IBM4.htm
It's from Ding's Nikon Homepage.  This guy has quite an extensive collection. 

Edit: E-29 is dead-on correct.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 January 2015, 19:09:19 by Snowdog993 »

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 19:01:43 »
What price did it sell for?

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 21:45:21 »
I saw the listing.  They sold it for six hundred dollars.

Offline pli

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 04:09:19 »
Yeah, it was six hundred...

I saw the industrial on their facebook page before they posted the listing and I was hoping the price was going to be below $450, but they were not thinking of me when they set the price :-[

I just went to clickykeyboards and browsed the "in stock" section. I did not realize it had been added so recently since it had been a while since I last checked the page. I only noticed the listing date from the image folder name after buying it -- and my brother linked the facebook page asking if it was the same one.

I wonder where this board came from, for example if they owned it personally or if another collector had it and they sold it on their behalf etc. The only reason I wonder is because they appear to get stock from sort of wholesale/disposal of IT areas (not that I have any way of knowing this for certain, just speculation) and it just makes me wonder where it came from.

I'd like to know too actually. I already joked to my girlfriend that I might email them and ask about its heritage and story since that'd be a big part of the fun when shelling out for a collectible board. I actually might do that :p

Have you seen this page?
http://web.tri-isys.com/audcom/Ibm/IBM4.htm
It's from Ding's Nikon Homepage.  This guy has quite an extensive collection. 

Edit: E-29 is dead-on correct.

That's quite a nice collection! I really like keyboards since I type all day, so I accidentally started collecting them at one point. Not to put on shelves but to rotate in use. I've tried to only keep one per type or model though, so nothing that extensive!

Also, dead-on correct about what?

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 04:36:27 »

I'd like to know too actually. I already joked to my girlfriend that I might email them and ask about its heritage and story since that'd be a big part of the fun when shelling out for a collectible board. I actually might do that :p

You should and then post results.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 11:44:38 »

I was just reading that part.  (I think)