Author Topic: Bad luck or Bad QC by Ducky  (Read 1684 times)

Offline a.justin.wong

Bad luck or Bad QC by Ducky
« on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 00:28:05 »
Just picked up my Shine 3 on Fri,  I really love the lighting and keyboard in general, but have some issues with the keycaps on my particular unit.

First, almost every key on the first 2 rows, plus the NUN 7 and Left windows key has a small scraped spot on the back side, deep enough top let light through
The F5, T, ] key has a small spot on the right edge that is letting light through........  I thought it was dust at first
The F5, F8, F9 and home key looks like it is missing a layer of paint
and the Right Shift key a small black spot on the translucent part of the key.

So was I just unlucky or anyone else had this issue with their Shine 3?   NCIX is pretty good with this stuff and the guy at the store told me to call the head office tomorrow to have a replacement sent in since they have no more in stock, but I'm just worried that the new once will be the same. 

Offline bowji

• Came for the Keycaps, stayed for the community.
Re: Bad luck or Bad QC by Ducky
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 00:40:32 »
Im leaning towards bad luck, though it shouldnt have been too hard for them to notice leaking light through quality control. My DS3 keycaps were fine when I got it. TBH, ducky shine stock keycaps are not the best, if anything they are most likely to be the first part of the keyboard to be changed by the owner.
Good luck with your replacement  :thumb:
               FREE GIRLDC!!     코리안 스레드

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 00:45:34 »
Sprue marks.

Normal.

All of my Ducky Shine keycaps have those.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36151.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44808.0
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline a.justin.wong

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 04:48:01 »
Sprue marks.

Normal.

All of my Ducky Shine keycaps have those.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36151.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44808.0

Man not sure If I'm happy or not to hear that this is normal.  Guess I'll ask NCIX to just send me a new Shift key and replace all those that have a problem on the top side........  I really wouldn't have noticed the sprue marks on the back if I was not re-routing the usb cable....

Thanks again ROWDY

Offline Joebroniee

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 08:47:35 »
I dont think ncix stocks spare caps to give out as rma, they'd probably ask you to contact ducky themselves. the only thing that might go wrong is that they say the sprue marks are normal for all the caps.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 09:20:22 »
Small problems like that with keycaps, not really fair to NCIX to return. They're too common.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 10:25:25 »
Yea... seems like just typical imperfections you see from plastic moldings. Even my 100$ set of Topre PBT caps, which are considered by many as one of the best keycaps available, have little left-over nubs behind the keycaps.