Author Topic: Cheaper Mechanical Keyboards.  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Shuki

Cheaper Mechanical Keyboards.
« on: Fri, 07 August 2009, 15:03:52 »
A friend of mine is wanting to try out a mechanical keyboard however he doesn't want to start by spending a huge amount on a keyboards ~40-50 pounds is roughly what he wants to spend. Obviously the cheaper the better but that is the maximum. He often plays games so he would probably either like a linear switch like the cherry mx black or maybe a lighter keyswitch with a subtle tactile bump such as the cherry mx brown.

Any suggestions? (must be available in the UK).

Offline CX23882

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 August 2009, 15:10:17 »
How about a Dell AT102W. Non-clicky (like MX Brown and Black), subtly-tactile (like MX Brown) and reasonably stiff (stiffer the MX brown but not as stiff as MX black). There are a few on eBay UK for ~£15 delivered.

They may not be the 'coolest' looking keyboard, but they seem to meet your friends requirements for an introduction to mechanical keyboards, and if he doesn't like it's appearance you could always knock him out with the thing for being unappreciative because they are heavy.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 August 2009, 15:14:44 »
You can get the ABS M1 for a good price (Black Alps). But really if you are just wanting to try before you buy a good one start digging around ebay you can find all kinds of good stuff there. In the UK look for Cheery boards on UK Ebay. Also take a look at this thread http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=6733 Seems there is going to be a seller of Filco's in the UK pretty soon they also have cherry boards as well.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 August 2009, 15:51:57 »
For blacks: Cherry G80-3000LPCGB (-0 or -2). Seems to cost as much in pounds as in Euros, ouch. Could thus be pushing the budget a bit, but check for yourself.

The AT102W doesn't sound like too bad an option.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 07 August 2009, 16:28:11 »
I don't know if you can get an equivilent deal in the UK, but I recently bought 2 Dell AT101W's for $30, including shipping, and brand new in box.

I think the UK version of the AT101W is the AT102W...strangly enough.

So that's probably the cheapest option, but then again, I don't know what's available to the UK.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)