Author Topic: Cherry G80-3000  (Read 4420 times)

Offline nohm

Cherry G80-3000
« on: Sat, 08 August 2009, 16:57:11 »
I've been researching keyboards for a while now and have decided upon a keyboard equipped with Cherry MX Browns. However, as I live in the UK it seems extremely difficult to acquire the keyboards I see recommended on forums such as this one so my choice is very limited.

After a lot of tiresome searching I found that the Cherry G80-3000 is quite readily available in the UK, BUT I'm unable to find definitive information as to what switches the keyboard uses. Some sites say MX Blues, others say MX Browns.

According to this guide it uses MX Browns but other sites say differently.

If it's of any help I would be ordering the one from here.

So which does it use, Browns or Blues?

Please help! :D

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Cherry G80-3000
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 August 2009, 17:03:03 »
Im afraid I have the least helpful answer of them all - it uses blues, blacks, browns, reds, clears.... Depending on which model you find, of course.

If you check the Wiki, there's a big guide on how to decipher Cherry's mind boggling model number scheme (If only the designers of the Enigma machine had some of Cherry's engineers on hand...)

Also, there's going to be a UK based suplier of Filco boards, which are more expensive than Cherry G80s, but supposedly much nicer. I've never used the G80 so I can't say whether that is true for definite.

Offline lowpoly

Cherry G80-3000
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 August 2009, 17:06:23 »
The one in the link should have Cherry blues (G80-3000LSCGB). However, the description is full of errors, I wouldn't buy from those guys without double-checking.

Cherry rarely uses brown switches for its own boards. To find one is a rare exception. If you just want to try them get a Compaq MX11800. If you think you'll keep them wait until Filcos are available in GB. The thread is still on the first page.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Cherry G80-3000
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 August 2009, 17:07:52 »
Yeah, just reading through the description on the site -

- Membrane contact switches with rubber-mat technology for individual use.
- Linear key action.

Sounds like they are confusing the G80 with the G81...

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Cherry G80-3000
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 August 2009, 17:09:49 »
Quote from: nohm;108304
If it's of any help I would be ordering the one from here.

G80-3000LSCGB-0 - this one's got the blues and comes in light grey. The same shop also offers a G80-1800 with blacks.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline lowpoly

Cherry G80-3000
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 August 2009, 17:12:52 »
Quote from: ch_123;108307
Yeah, just reading through the description on the site -

Sounds like they are confusing the G80 with the G81...

Rubber mat technology isn't G81. And linear (=G81) can't be rubber mat technology. And the LSCGB isn't any of these. :smile: Someone got creative here.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 August 2009, 17:16:25 by lowpoly »

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Cherry G80-3000
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 August 2009, 17:16:08 »
Mhmm.... So it's basically the unholy spawn of a G86, G81 and a G80 with Blue switches?

Offline nohm

Cherry G80-3000
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 08 August 2009, 17:20:59 »
Well, that's mightly annoying! I just want a standard keyboard with Browns or Blacks. :(

I suppose I'll just have to wait for the filcos to arrive here in the UK, but that's about 2 months away damnit. I'm so impatient.

Offline nohm

Cherry G80-3000
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 08 August 2009, 17:28:34 »
Quote from: webwit;108314
There is a boycot? No keyboards going into the UK? I'm not sure what you are saying (you're not alone though in this higly peculiar world view), but in my world a nice Filco Brown or Black is only 5 minutes away at elitekeyboards.com and will be delivered in only a few days. Alternatively, you can google for hours and wait for months to save 10 pounds in shipping.

It's available if I want an unfamiliar, US layout.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Cherry G80-3000
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 08 August 2009, 17:29:49 »
Despite the sarcasm, Webwit makes a good point - I'm sure that whatever Keyboardco can get the Filcos for is probably going to be more expensive than what Elitekeyboards will have them for. Sure you have to pay tax but in the end of the day, it's not going to be much more expensive to order from the US.

Oh yeah, the American layout thing... You adapt to it quite quickly, trust me.

Offline Bruce

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://www.keyboardco.com
Cherry G80-3000
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 08 August 2009, 17:33:08 »
We've got the Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-0 and -02.
That's Blue switches in a white, or Black body.
Not sure if we can get a Brown switch version but i'll check on Monday. Will post here if we can.
I don't know how many keyboards you're planning on buying but i'm pretty sure if you buy a Cherry now - you'll still want a Filco in 2 months time.

Offline Bruce

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://www.keyboardco.com
Cherry G80-3000
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 08 August 2009, 17:41:09 »
ch-123

You're about right.
I'm looking at elitekeyboards price and my buy price and think it's pretty tight and I do expect we'll be a tad higher.
I need to do the sums when i'm at my desk, we paid for tooling to do the 105 so that's a factor and we've no idea on the transport from Taiwan yet so i'd rather not give a figure right now because it won't be exact. I know everyone will be eager to see the price and it's mentioned on another thread also - but it would be wrong of me to guess.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Cherry G80-3000
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 08 August 2009, 18:04:29 »
Quote from: webwit;108322
You'd say it's standard to drive on the left side of the road ;)

Damn right it is!

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
Cherry G80-3000
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 08 August 2009, 18:21:54 »
Quote from: ch_123;108325
Damn right it is!

Right, the right side of the road is the right side. :lol:
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline nohm

Cherry G80-3000
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 08 August 2009, 21:12:40 »
Quote from: webwit;108322
Ah ok, you said "standard keyboard". A miscommunication of perspective. You'd say it's standard to drive on the left side of the road ;)

Haha yeah. Sorry, I should have specified that I would prefer a UK keyboard.

Quote from: Bruce;108319
We've got the Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-0 and -02.
That's Blue switches in a white, or Black body.
Not sure if we can get a Brown switch version but i'll check on Monday. Will post here if we can.
I don't know how many keyboards you're planning on buying but i'm pretty sure if you buy a Cherry now - you'll still want a Filco in 2 months time.

I'd really appreciate that. And yes, I think I'd certainly like to get my hands on a UK Filco 2 months down the line!

Quote from: ch_123;108318
Oh yeah, the American layout thing... You adapt to it quite quickly, trust me.

This really tempts me into ordering a US one from elitekeyboards. Out of interest, do you change your keyboard layout in windows (or whatever OS you use) to US or keep it UK and still hit Shift+2 for quotations for example?

Offline Rajagra

Cherry G80-3000
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 08 August 2009, 22:19:50 »
Quote from: nohm;108336
Out of interest, do you change your keyboard layout in windows (or whatever OS you use) to US or keep it UK and still hit Shift+2 for quotations for example?

If you leave the OS set to UK layout, you will be unable to type these characters, as the key to the left of shift will be missing...    \ |

If you choose the US layout, you won't be able to type...   £ € ¬ ¦ á é í ó ú

I keep the language bar running on the taskbar, so I can swap as needed. (I also use the Colemak layout, FWIW.)
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 August 2009, 22:28:13 by Rajagra »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Cherry G80-3000
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 09 August 2009, 06:27:56 »
This really tempts me into ordering a US one from elitekeyboards. Out of interest, do you change your keyboard layout in windows (or whatever OS you use) to US or keep it UK and still hit Shift+2 for quotations for example?

Quote from: Rajagra;108343
If you leave the OS set to UK layout, you will be unable to type these characters, as the key to the left of shift will be missing...    \ |

If you choose the US layout, you won't be able to type...   £ € ¬ ¦ á é í ó ú

US-International is your friend.

On this page, someone made a variant that approximates Linux's 'US International with Alt-Gr Dead Keys' layout, which gets rid of the annoying dead keys on the standard US Int.

Offline nohm

Cherry G80-3000
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 09 August 2009, 11:42:48 »
Quote from: ch_123;108371
US-International is your friend.

On this page, someone made a variant that approximates Linux's 'US International with Alt-Gr Dead Keys' layout, which gets rid of the annoying dead keys on the standard US Int.

Very cool, that looks perfect.

I'm almost certainly going to order a Filco from elitekeyboards but now I've become undecided as to which switch to choose :(

I mostly play games (FPS) but type a fair bit too, so I don't want to totally sacrifice the comfort of one for the other. My understanding is that Browns are the compromise between Blues, Browns and Blacks but I like the sound of Blues (is that a silly reason to be considering them?). Are Blues out of the question when it comes to gaming? What makes them a bad choice?

Out of interest does anyone know how much pressure each switch takes to activate?

Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate all the help you've given so far :smile:

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Cherry G80-3000
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 09 August 2009, 12:01:19 »
Quote from: nohm;108411
Are Blues out of the question when it comes to gaming? What makes them a bad choice?

They have a fair bit of hysteresis - once they've fired, you have to go back quite a bit to make them register open again.
Out of interest does anyone know how much pressure each switch takes to activate?

In general, blacks and clears are on the heavier side, while browns and blues are medium to light. Details are in the wiki. A Cherry 2006 catalog plus the current MX datasheet will also give you all the force displacement graphs.

One might also consider clears as the heavier relatives of browns, but these aren't available in UK layout (only US with Euro, German or Swiss).
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline Shuki

Cherry G80-3000
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 09 August 2009, 12:05:15 »
I much prefer the American layout to the UK layout, however it would be nice if I had a pound sign instead of a $

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Cherry G80-3000
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 09 August 2009, 12:12:49 »
Quote from: nohm;108411
I mostly play games (FPS) but type a fair bit too, so I don't want to totally sacrifice the comfort of one for the other. My understanding is that Browns are the compromise between Blues, Browns and Blacks but I like the sound of Blues (is that a silly reason to be considering them?). Are Blues out of the question when it comes to gaming? What makes them a bad choice?

It's a bit of a weird one. Some would say that the Browns are too light for gaming. I use my Blue equipped board for gaming, and I'd agree with what keyb_gr says - they're not the best for repeated button mashing, but in reality, I have little problem. The Blacks are the only one that everyone conclusively agrees to be the best for gaming, but they make for a mediocre typing keyboard at best.

To be honest, if you like the sound of the blues, go for them, you won't be disappointed.

I much prefer the American layout to the UK layout, however it would be nice if I had a pound sign instead of a $

Use US-Int. Pound is Alt-Gr + Shift + 4. I'd recommend the version of US Int that I linked above.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 August 2009, 12:15:29 by ch_123 »

Offline patrickgeekhack

Cherry G80-3000
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 09 August 2009, 12:18:16 »
Quote from: ch_123;108325
Damn right it is!

LOL. I used to drive on the left side before coming to Canada. My native country (Mauritius) was a French colony, and then a British colony. Now it's an independent country.