Author Topic: Builder/tinkerer saying hello  (Read 1838 times)

Offline ManOnTheMetalIsland

Builder/tinkerer saying hello
« on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 07:36:52 »
Hello friends, my name's will. I've been lurking the site the past few nights and have rally learned some stuff. A little background on my current keyboard situation: I've always had an appreciation for computers since I can remember, but always thought a keyboard was a keyboard, I believe this is because I've always had laptops and vaguely remember the desktop we had when I was a kid. Well, a few months ago I decided to build myself a pretty nice desktop and started following a few YouTube personalities and one of the biggest themes was that a desktop isn't complete without a mechanical keyboard. Right now I have a goodwill 2.99 rubber dome deal from when I built my htpc. I'm really interested in putting one together myself. There's lots of really great designs on here that have given me plenty of ideas. Anyways, here's a picture of my PC I put together, hopefully it conveys why I must be a little off and want to build rather than buy.  :rolleyes:

Will

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Re: Builder/tinkerer saying hello
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 07:48:31 »
Welcome to GeekHack! :cool:

You've come to the right place to learn more about mechanical keyboards and building one.  Check out the projects in the making stuff together sub-forum.

Happy Keyboarding!

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 07:55:13 »
Nice case. Always wanted to mod one of those. Welcome!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 13:47:47 »
Nice build, I've got a Mac Pro case that I've been wanting to mod and use. Any chance your system is a Hackintosh? Welcome to GH!
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline ManOnTheMetalIsland

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 17:15:38 »
Nice build, I've got a Mac Pro case that I've been wanting to mod and use. Any chance your system is a Hackintosh? Welcome to GH!

Yep, it dual boots 7 and Yosemite.

Will

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 17:20:10 »

Yep, it dual boots 7 and Yosemite.

Will

Sweet my rig is 8.1 and Mavericks, I may switch over to Yosemite but not for a while.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline badenglishihave

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 08:17:35 »
It's nice to have a place where Windows/Linux/Apple people can all agree on something  ;D . My wife has a mini-ITX Hackintosh that she just paired with a Ducky Shine 4, while I have a dual boot Xubuntu/8.1 full size box with a Ducky Shine 3 TKL. The choice of keyboard is the first computer decision we've both approved of in a long time lol.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 08:39:39 »
You'll notice a lot of people here with similar interests, it's one thing I love about the community.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 04:50:04 »
Welcome to GH will!!!

Glad to see you finally came around! there's a couple places to can buy parts to make a keboard. GONskeyboardworks, Winkeyless, 22kbd, ortholinearkeyboards and a couple other places. any idea on what layout you're looking to do?
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 04:08:09 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I was thinking that case looks a bit familiar!

It's amazing how little people think of their keyboards, and yet it is an essential peripheral without which a computer would be nearly useless.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ