Author Topic: New poster!  (Read 2287 times)

Offline Grill

• Charcoal
New poster!
« on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 15:59:22 »
Hello GeekHack!

Good to see a welcoming thread that's still so active. Anyway. Hello from Japan, atm. I'll probably be in America by the end of the week though, so, there's that. yay America!

I've got a couple keyboards at the moment. WASD v2 (browns), and a Poker II (blues). I'm also saving up to buy myself a GON sometime in the next year or so. They're so thin and pretty. It's too bad I keep spending money on clothing and my computer rig. I'd probably be rich if I didn't.
Poker II (MX blue) WASD V2 (MX brown) Forever saving for GON 87.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: New poster!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 16:01:32 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Feel free to look around, and ask questions when you have them. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 16:09:49 »
omg a real life grill??? on the internet?
I love Elzy

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 16:11:23 »
I think every GeekHacker would be rich if they didn't know what a keyboard was.
Although maybe they would just spend all of that saved up money on fountain pens and cameras....
Why is this community so obsessed with hobbies that are expensive as ****? I don't see any baking/cooking, origami, knitting, crochet, etc threads around.

Frosty, I think you've gone O/T a little...

Shut up, other Frosty. I don't even get posts for this.

You shouldn't get posts for anything, they're all schite.

Hey other Frosty, we used to use onion heads for inner conversational posts, didn't we?

Yeah, but then people thought we were tp4. We need to find something else to use.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Grill

• Charcoal
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 16:15:54 »
I am a grill indeed. In the iron and stainless steel.

Also, I like cooking and origami just fine, but being Asian I feel like I can't say those things too much before I become my stereotype. So uh...Go America! and sushi is weird! (for real though I never DID understand what all that was about with fountain pens...Although headphones and cameras on the other hand...)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 22:19:17 »
and then they said there were no grills on the internet
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 04:56:29 »
Welcome to GH!!

Why are you currently in Japan and why are you moving?
Too bad you're moving, thought i could have a Japanese buddy on the forums =/
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 08:12:42 »
This is a strategic location for a grill; welcome!
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline hjc1710

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 12:30:51 »
This is a strategic location for a grill; welcome!
Do I smell a Mitch Hedburg reference?
Filco Majestouch II (B) | Poker II (BR) | Cherry G80-11900 (BLK) | Das V3 (BR) | RS84 (soon...)

Granite | Skull Squadron | Deep Space | Raindrop R2 | Hyperfuse GMK (soon...)

Offline Grill

• Charcoal
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 13:35:23 »
Welcome to GH!!

I am actually born and raised here in Japan. Kitakyushu. Haven't had a reason to move until now. But now I am finishing up Uni and moving to be with my husband in America. He has a job over there so we are sort of just following it. My job can be done anywhere with an internet connection and access to Hot Chocolate. His is more technical than mine :P We can still be Japanese buddies for a few more days though! Unless you ARE Japanese in which case...we are kind of forever JP buddies, neh?

Also who is Mitch Hedburg? Does he know my plans? You didn't grill him about me did you?

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 13:40:58 »
Welcome to GH!!

I am actually born and raised here in Japan. Kitakyushu. Haven't had a reason to move until now. But now I am finishing up Uni and moving to be with my husband in America. He has a job over there so we are sort of just following it. My job can be done anywhere with an internet connection and access to Hot Chocolate. His is more technical than mine :P We can still be Japanese buddies for a few more days though! Unless you ARE Japanese in which case...we are kind of forever JP buddies, neh?

Also who is Mitch Hedburg? Does he know my plans? You didn't grill him about me did you?

eh o well

Offline hjc1710

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 14:52:22 »

See jackalope's response for some of Mitch's work. But Mitch Hedburg was a rather hilarious American stand up comedian who was active in the early '00's. He had a very deadpan delivery, bounced all over the place in his routines, and told a number of stoner jokes. All in all, I ****ing loved him. Favorite comedian of all time. Unfortunately, he died of a speedball overdose in 2005 (like many good American comedians), so he's been missed ever since. While we don't have Mitch, we've always had his three live comedy albums (one published posthumously). The first of these albums is titled: "Strategic Grill Locations", hence the reference. There are no grill related jokes on that entire CD. So... there's a little Mitch crash course!

My job can be done anywhere with an internet connection and access to Hot Chocolate. His is more technical than mine :P

Huh, that's interesting. I normally think of more technical jobs as ones that are easier to telecommute for (such as programming), so this comment struck me. However, I imagine if you're some sort of chemical engineer, remoting in to use those crazy tools isn't really an option! What does he do?

Hmmm.... I really should get a suitcase and handcuff it to myself...
Filco Majestouch II (B) | Poker II (BR) | Cherry G80-11900 (BLK) | Das V3 (BR) | RS84 (soon...)

Granite | Skull Squadron | Deep Space | Raindrop R2 | Hyperfuse GMK (soon...)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 04:22:57 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

If you'd let us know you were moving to America form Japan a couple of weeks earlier, we might have been able to organise a group buy of keyboard stuff for you to take with you!  Actually, it is probably better that we didn't ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Grill

• Charcoal
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 20:54:31 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

If you'd let us know you were moving to America form Japan a couple of weeks earlier, we might have been able to organise a group buy of keyboard stuff for you to take with you!  Actually, it is probably better that we didn't ;)

You are just TRYING to see me homeless and without money neh? Rude.

Huh, that's interesting. I normally think of more technical jobs as ones that are easier to telecommute for (such as programming), so this comment struck me. However, I imagine if you're some sort of chemical engineer, remoting in to use those crazy tools isn't really an option! What does he do?
Hmmm.... I really should get a suitcase and handcuff it to myself...

He is a software engineer for a particular company that wants him over in America to go to their offices. I just translate stuff for a law company. They do not require me to go into the office however.

« Last Edit: Thu, 22 January 2015, 20:58:33 by Grill »

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 22:56:23 »
More
Welcome to GH!!

Oh well i hope you the best with your move and such, just beware that you've been spoiled with the fiber optic internet that's so readily available in Japan!
Although judging that your Husband is a software engineer your new home might have good internet lol.

That's kind of a complicated situation since my parents are from Taiwan & Hong Kong but i was born in Canada, but my most memorable years are of growing up in Tokyo and i also have a Japanese Citizenship lol

Where did you learn English? your English is flawless, actually it's probably better than a lot of people's here XD

I actually have a lot more questions for you too if you're okay with it.....a lot of people in my area don't know how to use computers so they never know any good sites and such.....
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 January 2015, 23:12:40 by Evo_Spec »
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Grill

• Charcoal
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 00:05:01 »
I probably have been spoiled. I certainly never grew up asking for speed out of my internet :P And then you ARE Japanese! So we are still buddies <3

Also I learned my English through the internet. And Gaming. Mostly PWI. Is a terrible place to learn English. But it taught me lots of slang and how to be mean to people because they did not tank properly! I also try to only speak English on the internet and stuff unless talking to friends that way I can sound more natural. So far it's helped a little.

EDIT: Asking questions is fun. I don't mind.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 January 2015, 00:22:24 by Grill »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 03:41:05 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

You are just TRYING to see me homeless and without money neh? Rude.

Not at all!  We'd send you the money first :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ