Author Topic: Got my model M!!!!  (Read 2227 times)

Offline erricrice

Got my model M!!!!
« on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 16:48:03 »
So it came UPS today and I love it already!
I got it from rogerky seller on ebay(someone outbid me on the one from ncbound while I was in a class....no internet access :((((

As I said before it feel awesome, but I think the springs are a little worn, it isn't nearly as crisp as I remember a model M feeling(then again the last time I typed on one was when I was about 7 so who knows).

They feel a little mushy(not nearly as much as a membrane) but they're not nearly as defined as I remember them being.

The picture that was in the sale I'm quite sure was not this keyboard because the one in the picture was much cleaner, I'm somewhat disappointed in the ebay seller because of this.  He said that all keys operate smoothly with no sticking keys which is true, but it would have been nice to know that they were a little worn.  I got the 1391401 and it actually has the double keycaps on it(where the marked one will come off and you will have the unmarked one beneath it that actually has the stem on it.  EEEnteresting, so if I wanted blank keycaps, I could always just remove the top layer(but then they wouldn't have any contour to the keys which would just suck).

Questions, comments concerns??

In general I would say that I probably wouldn't buy another keyboard from rogerky, the post was pretty misleading although I did get a functional product which is all I was really worried about since I'm just trying the M out.  

On those lines, I will be typing on this thing pretty much forever now as it is by far my favorite since I am a very heavy typist.  The DAS I had before would bottom out really easily(as blue cherries do) and I like the sound and feel of the key bottoming out, but not nearly as much as I love this 'board!
I will definitely be looking to get a few more of these things once I get some more money in the wallet and since they're so cheap and will last me forever!!!! yay

Anything I should know before tearing this sucker apart and cleaning the crap out of it?
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 August 2009, 16:56:46 by erricrice »
I\'m selling all my Shizz! Please buy it!

White ALPS: Northgate Omnikey 101-NCS(Real-Complicated)****Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB(Fukka Simplifieds)****Siig MiniTouch(XM Simplifieds)
Black ALPS: Black Dell AT-101W(Real-Complicated)****ABS M1(Modded Black ALPS, Linear)
Buckling Spring: Model M 1391401(1988 & 1993)
Cherry Blues: DAS III Pro
Cherry Blacks: Cherry G80-11900
Cherry Browns: 3X Cherry G80-8113LRCUS-2
Cherry MY: G81-7000HPBUS-2****G81-3000LANUS-0****Modded to 20g
Rubber Dome: HHKB Lite 2 (White & Black)

Logitech G5[/FONT]
Erricrice\'s Song of the Day: Gorillaz - El Maņana
Yup, Blatantly stealing this from you Kishy, hope you don\'t mind, it\'s a great idea.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Got my model M!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 17:06:11 »
Yeah, unfortunately this is what happens sometimes when you get old Ms from random sellers. You're best off waiting for another one to pop up, ncbound10 and brianoneill are always selling them. In fact, I'm pretty sure ncbound10 had a load of other ones at the time.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 August 2009, 17:11:38 by ch_123 »

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Got my model M!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 19:58:41 »
I'm glad to hear you like your M better!

I wonder how a "mushy" one feels...the one I use I got in pretty bad shape. At the time, the only reason why I took it was because it had an integrated trackball. But, the keys feel perfectly fine to type on except I usually have to press the space-bar a little harder.

Personally, I wouldn't really get mad at the guy who sold you the keyboard. He probably came across it and thought someone might like it since it was clicky. And, he sold you a functional product; right?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline bigpook

Got my model M!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 20:07:18 »
There is always that risk when buying a used model m, or any keyboard in general.

It helps like ch_123 mentions to buy from a known reputable seller.
To really play it safe, try to hold out for an NIB keyboard. They do pop up from time to time.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline erricrice

Got my model M!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 23:03:13 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;109621
I'm glad to hear you like your M better!

I wonder how a "mushy" one feels...the one I use I got in pretty bad shape. At the time, the only reason why I took it was because it had an integrated trackball. But, the keys feel perfectly fine to type on except I usually have to press the space-bar a little harder.

Personally, I wouldn't really get mad at the guy who sold you the keyboard. He probably came across it and thought someone might like it since it was clicky. And, he sold you a functional product; right?

Alright, so.

To clear up some things:

I am not mad at the seller for selling me a worn out keyboard(which it turns out he actually did not do, but he didn't know that at the time lol) cause that's kind of a buy beware type of thing anyway.  What I am mad at the seller for is this(noctice the quotations):

"THIS KEYBOARD IS EXTREMELY CLEAN AND IT'S EVIDENT IT HAS HAD LITTLE USE OVER IT'S 16 YEARS' EXISTENCE"

Exactly as it was in the auction with the picture(#1) attached below.

What I get is the pictures you see below that.  Obviously not clean as stated in the auction and quite obviously not even the same keyboard that is in the picture.  The fact that there is enough food in there to feed a third world country for 3 weeks is a little disturbing in itself, but when you fail to mention that and even say that exactly the opposite is true I'm going to be pissed.  Luckily after cleaning out all that crap I find out that the springs are not in fact worn out, just that the food was making the keys squishy when they bottomed out.  

Now after the 2 hour cleaning of every key and the stuff out of the bottom of the keyboard, it looks like the fourth picture there and I am happy with myself.  Still not so much with the seller, but whatever the sale's over with now.

I am happy to say that I am most definitely loving the buckling springs, they are perfect for my hands and they even have some wonderful nostalgia attached to them(I had a model M with my first computer).  

yay

White ALPS: Northgate Omnikey 101-NCS(Real-Complicated)****Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB(Fukka Simplifieds)****Siig MiniTouch(XM Simplifieds)
Black ALPS: Black Dell AT-101W(Real-Complicated)****ABS M1(Modded Black ALPS, Linear)

Logitech G5[/FONT]
Yup, Blatantly stealing this from you Kishy, hope you don\'t mind, it\'s a great idea.

Offline Shyfe

Got my model M!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 00:20:53 »
how much did you pay?

HHKB (55g) | IBM SSK | Realforce 87U (55g) | Unicomp EnduraPro | KBT Oni

Offline erricrice

Got my model M!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 08:16:20 »
luckily I only paid 30 for it but yeah it's more a thing of principle because he did send me a working product, just not the same one that was in the ad   :P

Logitech G5[/FONT]