Author Topic: Looking for a keyboard with these features...  (Read 1891 times)

Offline Aaron Lee

Looking for a keyboard with these features...
« on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 23:33:32 »
Size: Full
Layout: US
Switch: Clicky
Backlight: White (including RGB and other multi-color backlighting)
Macros: At least 5 that are customisable and clicky (like M1-5 on the Razer BlackWidow Chroma)
Nothing else matters
So far I have found:
  • Razer BlackWidow Chroma
  • CM Storm Mech

Offline jameslr

Re: Looking for a keyboard with these features...
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 23:39:37 »
Corsair K95 w/ MX Blues is another option you can add to your list.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 23:41:45 »
I think the question is, is there anything you're willing to give up on that list (*cough*RGB*cough)?  At this point, you're getting expensive inferior boards for your money if you want all of those features.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 23:51:41 »
Corsair K95 RGB. I know there are a lot of macros on it, but it's the closest you will get with real RGB LEDs I think.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Aaron Lee

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 01:56:37 »
I think the question is, is there anything you're willing to give up on that list (*cough*RGB*cough)?  At this point, you're getting expensive inferior boards for your money if you want all of those features.
Maybe
I'm new to this forum - inferior in what way?

Offline Aaron Lee

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 02:17:56 »
Corsair K95 w/ MX Blues is another option you can add to your list.
Corsair K95 RGB. I know there are a lot of macros on it, but it's the closest you will get with real RGB LEDs I think.
Thanks but I didn't include that because it's discontinued
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=135738&page=6
^post #86

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 02:56:14 »
Best board that matches those features is the Code with Green switches (http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/code-keyboard/code-104-key-mechanical-keyboard-mx-green.html). It has White backlighting, full size (with standard layout), clicky switches. It doesn't have macros, but you can use AHK for those (if you actually really need them).

If you explain what you use the macros for we can perhaps advise you further (most games allow you to program macros in-game, for instance). I would stay away from the Corsair K95 since it has a non-standard bottom row, so you will not be able to put higher quality keycaps on it.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Aaron Lee

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 05:35:57 »
Best board that matches those features is the Code with Green switches (http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/code-keyboard/code-104-key-mechanical-keyboard-mx-green.html). It has White backlighting, full size (with standard layout), clicky switches. It doesn't have macros, but you can use AHK for those (if you actually really need them).

If you explain what you use the macros for we can perhaps advise you further (most games allow you to program macros in-game, for instance). I would stay away from the Corsair K95 since it has a non-standard bottom row, so you will not be able to put higher quality keycaps on it.
I've only used Browns and I like their weight so maybe Greens'd be too heavy
I use MS Excel and Word a lot, so I'd use them for Alt shortcuts such as Alt+H+U+Tab+Enter+(Shift+Enter)
I've never heard about AHK - I'll have a look in deciding whether I can use it for anything
Thanks

Offline minh278

• In life we will only fall, How far will we fall?
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 23:51:32 »
Your options for rgb
-razer chroma
-tesoro lobera supreme (kailh)
-ducky fire(if you can cough up 3 benjamin franklins or $300)
-begging around here or reddit if anyone has one of the few mx blue k70 and k95 rgbs from corsair
-buy a k70/k95 and use some switch swapping tools to make it mx blue or somesuch like from TheBeast and replace the stems(not confirmed working but i have a suspicion it should work from my analysis of pictures)

If you wait to mid 2015 there should be other rgb cherry boards out besides corsair, i know roccat has one upcoming.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 January 2015, 02:37:35 by minh278 »
Keyboards:  Final Fantasy XI XIth Anniversary keyboard (topre 45g) | Realforce Rgb (topre 45g, Eva Noctilucous keyset) | Mionix Zibal 60 (mx black, Vortex doubleshot) | Greymark (white alps) | IBM model M (found in the trash!)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 02:21:27 »

I've only used Browns and I like their weight so maybe Greens'd be too heavy
I use MS Excel and Word a lot, so I'd use them for Alt shortcuts such as Alt+H+U+Tab+Enter+(Shift+Enter)
I've never heard about AHK - I'll have a look in deciding whether I can use it for anything
Thanks

I see. Well, there's the CMStorm Trigger Z which comes with Blues, but it has blue backlighting and 5 dedicated macro keys.

You mentioned the Mech as well and that is an option, although it's big and bulky and has non-standard layout.

If you want white backlit fullsize with standard layout and Blues, there are a few options if you don't mind using AHK to manage your macros:

1. Ducky Shine 3 white LED, MX Blues: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=514
2. Ducky Legend, white LED, MX Blues: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=956
3. KBT One: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=977

For RGB, you have to sacrifice aftermarket cap compatibility and get a board with weird layout:

1. Razer Chroma

The Corsair RGB boards with Blues have been discontinued as you mentioned.

In most cases, moving your hand across to push macro buttons is less efficient than pressing the Alt combo if you only need a single key in combination with Alt. For more complex combos you can assign them to simpler ones using AHK, so most of the time macro keys are a false economy.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 January 2015, 02:28:18 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.