Author Topic: A Great Find… Brand New, never opened 1993 IBM Model M!  (Read 2095 times)

Offline justin

A Great Find… Brand New, never opened 1993 IBM Model M!
« on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 16:55:41 »
Just went to Insight Computers, in Chatham NY and got talking keyboards. It so happened they'd just got a brand-new never-opened 1993 IBM Model "M" Keyboard in. Needless to say I bought it on the spot. $20! Awesome! I was literally the first person to break the seal on the packaging. It had been sitting in storage since it came out of the factory in 1993!

I actually think I prefer the feel of this one (IBM Blue Label, Lexmark manufactured) to the feel of my other one, which is an older 1391401 from 1989. Both keyboards are awesome, but this one has a slightly "tighter" feel to it (a titch less play in the keys) and features the built-in cable and the coffee drainage canals, so you can spill your drinks into it without fear of damaging the keyboard. My 1391401 also had about 3 or 4 keys that required just a bit more force to buckle than the others, which meant I had to remember to always push a bit harder on those keys. Not so on this one! All of the keys are amazingly crisp and snappy. Additionally, my other "M" is a tad more beige in color (though spotless and in pristine condition). This one is more of a lighter eggshell/off-white color.

People these days are getting ripped off up the wazoo by companies like… well almost all of them, selling absolute crap rubber mush keyboards that cost them a whopping $3 to produce.

I'll take my steel-backplate-bearing snappy Model Ms any day of the week.

Awesome.

Offline skriefal

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 18:14:37 »
I'd be very surprised if most modern rubber dome keyboards cost $3 to manufacture.  Maybe $1.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 19:32:50 »
What is the part number of your new blue-label IBM?

Offline justin

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 20:31:16 »
@ skriefal
LOL... you might be right. Just a bunch of craptastic plastic & el-cheapo rubber…

Offline justin

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 20:41:43 »
Apparently someone out of state donated/sold them a bunch of computer gear and they'd just started to go through it. It's a very small town shop (privately owned) with tons of neat old (& some new) computer stuff just piled everywhere (they specialize in repairs & parts replacement). I also saw some old Apple stuff, iMacs, iBook & PowerBooks, & an iMac G3 keyboard that actually had a neat design, but was of course rubber mush. :( There were a lot of keyboards, but most (if not all, except the M) were rubber domes. Neat place. I'll have to make it a regular stop.

The moral of the story is…
Be sure to check out all of the small shops in your area. You never know what you might find!

Offline justin

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 23:03:18 »
@ ch_123

It's a 42H1292 made in 1993 by Lexmark Canada for IBM.

An article that reviews the 42H1292 & the 1391401
http://www.dansdata.com/ibmkeyboard.htm

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 August 2009, 17:42:43 »
Ah, another person to prefer a 42H to a 1391401...

If you're wondering what I'm on about, check out Ripster's blue vs black label thread on the reviews section.