Author Topic: Transforming an old computer into a keyboard.  (Read 2412 times)

Offline vils

Transforming an old computer into a keyboard.
« on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 19:16:52 »
I found a mod-log where the author describes how he transforms a swedish vintage compter into a functional keyboard.
Nice keycaps:dance:

Here are the translated version

You must look at this.
It\'s the glass pipe fallacy. You can only believe that if you\'re on crack.

Offline cmr

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 21:00:12 »

red ... escape key?

Offline vils

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 22:27:23 »
Those darn red Escs...:biggrin:
I think he's made a tremendous work with that built in KB that's lying infront of the red key cap.
I hade one of those ABC-80 computers in the early 80's, maybe beacuse of nostalgia I like the project so much?
It\'s the glass pipe fallacy. You can only believe that if you\'re on crack.

Offline Ornotermes

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 August 2009, 06:32:16 »
Quote from: kishy;109809

Fantastically awesome project; I would however have preferred to keep the computer operational or dedicate my effort to MAKING it operational if it wasn't to start.

That wasn't an option since i have no cables, monitor, tape-drive or PSU to connect to it, but i have the motherboard put aside for future use in case i get the peripheral devices some time.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 August 2009, 07:22:36 »
Looks like the keyboard is capacitve.

Welcome to geekhack, Ornotermes. Nice mod.

Maybe build a small custom case for the keyboard only?

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline huha

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 August 2009, 07:33:49 »
I didn't fully understand the translation, but since you're here, I might as well ask: Does the keyboard output ASCII values? I am looking for a cheap ASCII to PS/2 or USB converter for reviving an old keyboard.
There's a chip for doing this in the US, but it's slightly expensive with shipping.

-huha
Unicomp Endurapro 105 (blank keycaps, BS) // Cherry G80-3000LSCDE-2 (blues, modded to green MX) // Cherry G80-3000LAMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Cherry G80-11900LTMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Compaq G80-11801 (browns) // Epson Q203A (Fujitsu Peerless) // IBM Model M2 (BS) // Boscom AS400 Terminal Emulator (OEM\'d Unicomp, BS, 2x) // Dell AT102DW (black Alps) // Mechanical Touch (chinese BS) Acer 6312-KW (Acer mechanics on membrane) // Cherry G84-4100 (ML) // Cherry G80-1000HAD (NKRO, blacks)

Offline kode

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 August 2009, 09:57:39 »
Ah, the good old ABC80. I'm not sure I agree with the choice to repaint it, though, nevertheless it's a cool mod.

Here's a link to a guy I'm acquainted to who turned an ABC802 into a terminal:
http://blogs.kfib.org/martin.php?title=sometimes_i_do_the_most_pointless_things&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

kishy, cmr: I'd say it's the §/˝ key, judging from the position as well as my own keyboards...

huha: no, the ABC computers used something called SWASCII, which is not quite compatible with ASCII if I recall correctly. Or, well, I suppose the scancodes would be the same. Hmm. If the purpose of the project is to DIY because of getting etching equipment, I guess I too would do it myself, though...
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 August 2009, 10:00:48 by kode »

Offline cmr

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 15 August 2009, 23:57:48 »
is §/˝ a commonly used key in swedish layouts?

i bet he's got it swapped with esc.

Offline kode

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 16 August 2009, 03:53:10 »
Quote from: cmr;110011
is §/˝ a commonly used key in swedish layouts?

i bet he's got it swapped with esc.

I'd say it's more or less never used, but I can't really say I've ever seen anyone move it, for some reason. It's a good idea, however, even though I never use escape either.

Offline Ornotermes

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 August 2009, 18:14:48 »
I haven't really figured out the quoting function in this forum yet, sorry about that.
But any way...

lowpoly: Thanks! But i wont build a new case for it, for two reasons. One is that i don't have resources and the other is that i want people to see that it is an ABC80.

huha: It uses 8 data lines, 7 for data and one for strobe (is high while a character key is pressed) and it uses a slightly modified 7-bit ascii, it can send all values but 31. I will publish the source code (which is based on http://www.obdev.at/products/vusb/hidkeys.html ) later on. I don't know what price would make it worth for you but if you would like to build your own converter (look at V-USB´s documentation to see what schematics you can use) I help you as much as i can.

kode: It's a cool thin to do. :) I was thinking of doing something like that but based on a micro controller but i wouldn't have too muck use for it. But I am feeling a small urge to buy a Intel D945GSEJT and build it into my ABC80. :) As for the planned painting, this computer had been used at a school so the paint was rather worn out already.

And for all the fuzz about my regular keyboard, here is a pic from when i used used the SVORAK layout: http://sv.tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=BPKxFKZSojwqj%2FMMN3dawQ%3D%3D , I now use QWERTY again.