Author Topic: Improvised or aftermarket home row nubs?  (Read 2435 times)

Offline justin

Improvised or aftermarket home row nubs?
« on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 20:59:28 »
I type with the Dvorak layout, and have rearranged the keys on all my keyboards (even my tiny Aspire One hackintosh netbook) to reflect that.

For the most part, the absence of the little home row nubs on the index finger keys doesn't really bother me, but when I'm doing speed drills & contests, it really helps to have them as reference points to avoid typos. I have made do with tiny bits of medical tape on the usual keys, but was wondering if anyone knows of any better ways to recreate those nubs, or better yet — improve on them.

Is there any company that sells stick-on keyboard nubs?
Is there a hack that can recreate them in a more effective way?
Ideas?
Does this even matter? (Maybe I'm just being a baby about it…)

P.S.
Not that anyone here would necessarily care, but beware of the Apple Aluminum Keyboards that come with all desktop Macs now.
The keys are super (SUPER!) thin, flimsy plastic, and the mechanisms inside are even worse. Taking them off is one thing. Getting them to (all) go back on is another thing entirely (a nightmare!). I just took mine to the Apple store and they had to salvage a bunch of keys off of another keyboard in order to fix it.

In better news, I'm typing this on one of my 2 Model "M"s, which are a dream to rearrange — just snap-off, snap-on. :)
I only had the Apple board fixed & arranged so I'll have a nearly silent backup for if & when I get noise complaints from others about the clickity-clack of my Model Ms late at night.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 August 2009, 21:02:53 by justin »

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 22:13:47 »
Quote from: justin;109807
Is there any company that sells stick-on keyboard nubs?
Is there a hack that can recreate them in a more effective way?
Ideas?
Does this even matter? (Maybe I'm just being a baby about it…)

Someone posted a link in another thread for some clear stick-on nubs, but I can't find it right now. (Was a US supplier, so not the best for me.)

But in the tradition of Heath Robinson, I just came up with this cheap hack - some clear tape with a fold in the middle to create a vertical ridge.

Offline vils

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 22:36:46 »
All IKEA furniture I've come across latley have had small self-adhesive clear silicone domes in the package. They should be used to lessen the banging sound of closing doors and drawers. Miniature bumpers... They should work perfect.
It\'s the glass pipe fallacy. You can only believe that if you\'re on crack.

Offline justin

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 22:45:12 »
Actually, that might just be a good idea about the adhesive nubs. Apple gives away those adhesive nubs for the bottom of it's PowerBooks too, which are tiny & super sticky.

I also just checked out Hooleon, from that link. They look to have about the most specific solution available, and reasonably priced too. I think I may just order a pack of them…
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 August 2009, 22:47:38 by justin »

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 23:56:23 »
I just ordered some of these. UK supplier only, but the wide range of shapes/sizes is interesting. I went for round ones as I expect them to stay stuck better, but the square ones would've looked good.

I resisted the urge to bling up my keyboards with stick-on diamonds from the craft section. :lol: