Author Topic: A little web developer question  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
A little web developer question
« on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 12:25:18 »
I'm a web developer and finished university in June/July of '13, since then I've been in a few web developer jobs but I've mainly been doing a fair bit of freelancing through word of mouth, facebook, pph, elance etc.

My question is this, I've recently gone back through some of my portfolio work and I've noticed that unbeknownst to me, two of the people that I have done work for about .. 8 months ago have gone ahead and re-designed their Wordpress websites and my design is no more, is this to mean that I should remove their work off my portfolio as it's no longer creditable? If so, what should I put in their place, like should I not mention that I did this work, should I put an older image of the site that I did but have no link to that website?

Kind of new to this whole thing and not sure what I should replace this with at this moment in time.

你搞砸了

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: A little web developer question
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 12:42:10 »
I'd keep it in your portfolio with images of the older site and no link, after all you did do the work and you want the closest representation of the result of your own work.

As your portfolio grows you can trim out the less impressive or interesting ones and leave just a mention of them in your CV's work experience section.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 19:34:15 »
Might depend on why the redesigned - were they satisfied with your work?  If they were, as Oobly suggested, keep it in your portfolio with some pictures.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 23:01:50 »
I'd keep it in your portfolio with images of the older site and no link, after all you did do the work and you want the closest representation of the result of your own work.

As your portfolio grows you can trim out the less impressive or interesting ones and leave just a mention of them in your CV's work experience section.

Oh okay, thanks man. 

Might depend on why the redesigned - were they satisfied with your work?  If they were, as Oobly suggested, keep it in your portfolio with some pictures.

Yeah, it would seem so, but I left the company because of payment difficulties (working full hours for less than minimum wage because the company was owned by family friends is never really a fun experience.

But they kept the design from January up until now, so a good year or whatever? But I'll do what you both suggested with the images for sure, thanks guys.
你搞砸了

Offline vmod

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 01:52:47 »
I have been reading about freelancing lately as I am too trying to break in to getting into freelance work.
What everyone recommends is when you start keep everything in your portfolio and as your portfolio grows go back to the old ones and try to highlight or mention about the things you want to develop in future, this way your portfolio looks professional ( handling complete projects ) and still emphasises on the niche you want to work in future or working in right now.

And as somebody else said sooner or later you can remove the least impressive ones but make sure you keep the ones with the niche you like/lucrative to work with. Also try not to chop down too much as your portfolio also shows your progress and how far you have come. This not only helps the client to know your work well but also helps you keep tract and stay motivated with your work.