Author Topic: How often do you alternate between keyboards?  (Read 2161 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline patrickgeekhack

  • Thread Starter
  • Posts: 1460
How often do you alternate between keyboards?
« on: Sun, 16 August 2009, 13:04:59 »
I'm pretty sure Geekhackers need to worry more about wearing out the connectors of their keyboards than about wearing out their keyboards switches.

Offline o2dazone

  • Posts: 953
How often do you alternate between keyboards?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 August 2009, 13:13:26 »
I drive my HHKB exclusively. Made a hard case for it, so I could bring it to work safely :p

Offline Mercen_505

  • Posts: 200
How often do you alternate between keyboards?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 August 2009, 13:25:46 »
I have a home keyboard (right now an IBM M13) which has only been swapped once in ~17 years, and a work keyboard (currently an IBM M-2) which generally changes once a year, as I get new boards in. I experiment at work, but familiarity rules at home.

Offline patrickgeekhack

  • Thread Starter
  • Posts: 1460
How often do you alternate between keyboards?
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 August 2009, 13:27:33 »
Quote from: o2dazone;110068
I drive my HHKB exclusively. Made a hard case for it, so I could bring it to work safely :p


So, you are unplugging and plugging it everyday? You'll be wearing out the USB  conector in no time LOL. I've been driving my G80 on my Mac (primary computer) for weeks now. At work I have the AT101W and ABS M1 connected at the same time because I can seem to decide. The M1 is "smoother" while I can notice the tactile point of the AT101W better. The angle plays a role too. The tactile point on the M1 is more pronounced if it is elevated.

Offline ch_123

  • * Exalted Elder
  • Posts: 5859
How often do you alternate between keyboards?
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 August 2009, 13:30:04 »
I swap between my Filco and my Model F every few weeks. My M4-1 is more useful for using on other people's computers or spare machines, and therefore is used on an as-needs basis.

Offline o2dazone

  • Posts: 953
How often do you alternate between keyboards?
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 August 2009, 15:17:43 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;110074
So, you are unplugging and plugging it everyday? You'll be wearing out the USB  conector in no time LOL.


Very true, although I haven't really heard of that happening yet. I do intend on getting a second hhkb, just because I don't like toting $250 merchandise every day I go to work.

Offline wellington1869

  • Posts: 2885
How often do you alternate between keyboards?
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 August 2009, 15:23:14 »
right now i'm alternating between my endurapro and my ibm ultranav dome board.
when i get my tvs blue cherries i'll probably throw that in the mix while I evaluate it.

I guess I rarely have just one board near the desk. Its easy enough to switch, I use a usb extender cable so i dont have to lean over anywhere when switching. The boards are stored standing up underneath the desk.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline patrickgeekhack

  • Thread Starter
  • Posts: 1460
How often do you alternate between keyboards?
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 16 August 2009, 16:12:24 »
Quote from: o2dazone;110091
Very true, although I haven't really heard of that happening yet. I do intend on getting a second hhkb, just because I don't like toting $250 merchandise every day I go to work.


I have never head of this either. Think of the many times people plug their cameras, although you are going to replace a camera more often than a keyboard. I may get a Topre :-) My wife is going to Atlanta in October. Getting it delivered there will cost cheaper. Also, I won't be taking any risk of having to pay taxes.

Offline patrickgeekhack

  • Thread Starter
  • Posts: 1460
How often do you alternate between keyboards?
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 16 August 2009, 16:12:59 »
Quote from: wellington1869;110092
right now i'm alternating between my endurapro and my ibm ultranav dome board.
when i get my tvs blue cherries i'll probably throw that in the mix while I evaluate it.

I guess I rarely have just one board near the desk. Its easy enough to switch, I use a usb extender cable so i dont have to lean over anywhere when switching. The boards are stored standing up underneath the desk.


I use a cable extender too for the same reason.

Offline romevi

  • Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
  • Posts: 8914
  • Location: The Windy City
Re: How often do you alternate between keyboards?
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 22:19:16 »
6 months.

Offline SpAmRaY

  • NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • Posts: 14668
  • Location: \(_o)/
  • because reasons.......
Re: How often do you alternate between keyboards?
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 22:22:41 »
I drive my HHKB exclusively. Made a hard case for it, so I could bring it to work safely
I want to see this hard case, I don't trust my hhkb in a gun sock.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk