Author Topic: Hi friends.  (Read 1204 times)

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
Hi friends.
« on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 04:26:24 »
If you didn't already notice, I'm new here.
I signed up to facilitate my search through the forums so i can lurk harder.  ;D
Please excuse my lack of upper case letters, apostrophes and other punctuation marks. It has been long since i've been on a forum, or any sort of place where people type properly.

I'm currently using a K310. I like it a lot cause it's washable, and I don't even wash it. It also has very nice rubber domes that rival scissor switches imo :D
Only thing i dont like about it is that actuation requires bottoming out and that it has no backlight.
Im not pro enough to find keys or my fingers in the dark.

That brings me to why im really here. im looking to build my first and hopefully only(cause monies) mechanical abomination from scratch, so it will be perfectly tailored to me needs.

TL;DR nice to meet you.
I only have a washable keyboard.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hi friends.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 03:35:24 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Actually Google search works best ;)

And good for you wanting to build a keyboard rather than just buy one.  Do you know which one?  Which switches?  Which keycaps?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 04:24:45 »
I want to try to mod some gateron blues into jailhouse, maybe with those really light 35g gateron springs too. Hopefully they don't stick. Whatever comes of it, at least I will find out how it feels XD lol
I was planning on getting the kbtalking/vortex pbt & pom backlit white caps, but they seem to be sold out everywhere. maybe i'll go with the blacks

I want to use Gon's NerD 108, but I know he's swamped with work and unresponsive at the moment, so I'll wait it out.
I'm also trying to design a plate mount sandwich case for it. I have some connection with a metal shop and through them a plastic shop. Hopefully I can get a good deal even for a one off.
I will probably hold back on ordering the parts until, I actually get the case sorted out in an affordable fashion.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 01:51:17 »
Sounds like a lot of work - and a lot of waiting.  Patience is key around here - many things can take a while to find and purchase.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 14:01:53 »
I'm mentally prepared for the work involved, just hope little skill I have will be up for it XD
Hopefully I can get this moving fast, cause I have a tendency to wait too long and lose steam with all my little hobbies and things lol
Patience and laziness are a bad combination  :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 04:05:03 »
For the right price, you can often get most things you need.  The problem is that some things are just unobtainable sometimes.

You wouldn't believe the number of half-finished projects I've got lying around.

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 07:45:24 »
Well, I get to the point where I eventually buy the stuff anyway, but I never start work on it.
It's almost like I'm just hoarding lol
Hopefully this isn't one of those projects because I'm really running out of room lol.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 21:59:02 »
Hoarding?  You'll definitely fit in around here :))